Conference Win Streak Record | The Boneyard

Conference Win Streak Record

Reaction Score
Our winning streak is up to 13 games, and all are conference games. As far as I can tell, this is a program record for conference winning streak (I went back to 1952 on Sports-Reference). We won 14 in a row in 1965 conference season, but there were some independents mixed in. We won 13 straight in 2009, but only 12 were conference opponents. We won 14 straight last year, but mostly non-conference. 19 straight in 1999 is the longest streak, but only 11 were conference opponents.

Reaction Score
Unrelated question: Any idea why women’s teams play OOC during the conference season? Like why did we just play South Carolina?

Reaction Score
Unrelated question: Any idea why women’s teams play OOC during the conference season? Like why did we just play South Carolina?
This goes back to when the Women's Team was perennial #1, along with Tennessee, and the Big East didn't have the Teams to support needle moving wins.

Reaction Score
For better competition. The BE in women's basketball is a two bid league most seasons. Playing top teams in February keeps the team in the spotlight and on their toes during the soft part of the season.

Reaction Score
Kinda like how Kentucky played Gonzaga this past weekend, just probably when they could schedule it.

I also think Geno likes to give them OOC looks later in the year because the BE for women is generally pretty poor

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I wish I knew the answer. I posted in a different thread that I wished we could schedule some of those OOC games during conference season. It would give us a better idea where we are instead of playing conference games. It would be great to sprinkle in a top 30 net team during conference season. I thought we used to do that, I think the conferences have so many teams that it must create a scheduling nightmare. But Kentucky and Gonzaga played this past weekend so it can be done….i think. I would be in favor of a home and home with quality name brand program for sometime during the conference season. Imagine how great it would be to play Duke in February every year. Just for the interest. Hurley mentions the poor marketing of college hoops. I think the weekend after the Super Bowl would be a great time to get to have some marquee OOC match ups.

Reaction Score
For better competition. The BE in women's basketball is a two bid league most seasons. Playing top teams in February keeps the team in the spotlight and on their toes during the soft part of the season.
This BE might be 2, but the old BE was the top league, SEC or not.

Reaction Score
Don't forget the fact that ESPN wants the marque women's matchups. It always helps to have a promoter setting up the events.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

TV ratings, they're trying to elevate to sport and it's seemingly heading in the right direction

Plus Geno wants more competition. Doesn't want to become a Gonzaga in terms of who we're playing and when

Reaction Score
Our winning streak is up to 13 games, and all are conference games. As far as I can tell, this is a program record for conference winning streak (I went back to 1952 on Sports-Reference). We won 14 in a row in 1965 conference season, but there were some independents mixed in. We won 13 straight in 2009, but only 12 were conference opponents. We won 14 straight last year, but mostly non-conference. 19 straight in 1999 is the longest streak, but only 11 were conference opponents.

I think we won our first 14 conference games in 1996.

Reaction Score
Negative. It was 12 with a couple of non-con wins sprinkled in there.

We started 14-0 in the league, there were 2 conference games in December that year. I was at the game that broke the streak (at Iverson's Georgetown). Boubacar Aw stuck to Ray like glue and we could never get anything going. It set up the classic BET title game.

Reaction Score
I wish I knew the answer. I posted in a different thread that I wished we could schedule some of those OOC games during conference season. It would give us a better idea where we are instead of playing conference games. It would be great to sprinkle in a top 30 net team during conference season. I thought we used to do that, I think the conferences have so many teams that it must create a scheduling nightmare. But Kentucky and Gonzaga played this past weekend so it can be done….i think. I would be in favor of a home and home with quality name brand program for sometime during the conference season. Imagine how great it would be to play Duke in February every year. Just for the interest. Hurley mentions the poor marketing of college hoops. I think the weekend after the Super Bowl would be a great time to get to have some marquee OOC match ups.
I agree that I'd like to see an OOC opponent in late January or February, on one of our BE schedule "bye weeks." JC used to do this, e.g. games against Texas.

It helps break up the monotony of BE schedule and provides experience against a different style of play closer to the Tournament.

Reaction Score
We started 14-0 in the league, there were 2 conference games in December that year. I was at the game that broke the streak (at Iverson's Georgetown). Boubacar Aw stuck to Ray like glue and we could never get anything going. It set up the classic BET title game.
Dang yes I missed those 2 December games. So we need 1 more to tie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom