Conference Realignment observation... | The Boneyard

Conference Realignment observation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I preface this post by stating the obvious, which is that UConn will likely accept the first option alternative to the AAC that comes its way - I think we all can easily agree on that.

However, I have the opportunity to meet with some of the members of the UConn Foundation leadership, as well as the Administration leadership from time to time and I think there has certainly been a change in direction/focus as it pertains to CR. I don't consider myself an "insider" or privy to any special information, but I have some good relationships that are long standing and I believe that when I discuss these matters (largely in a fundraising capacity) that I get the straight information.

The administration and the Foundation are keenly aware of the importance of athletics and conference to the overall health and future growth of the institution and the Foundation - certainly SH and the new Foundation President Josh Newton understand this implicitly. They also understand that while success in hoops is wonderful, and was just what we needed in 2013, it is not what will get us where we want or need to go.

In discussion about CR 6 months to a year ago, the conversation was hopeful and the hope was centered around how we might be able to gain an invite to the ACC. However, more recently, the discussion seems to have shifted to B1G. I have no idea whether this is wishful thinking, based on careful analysis, conversations with other school Presidents or what - but the shift is clear. When I have these discussions now (about the importance of football or a better conference) the answers are certainly more B1G focused. They are focused around our odds of AAU admittance or how we are trying to grow Uconn in the model of the big publics likes Michigan, etc. This is too obvious to be coincidental and while it ain't much and it ain't new - it's just something I've observed, and something that keeps me hopeful.

Reaction Score
I preface this post by stating the obvious, which is that UConn will likely accept the first option alternative to the AAC that comes its way - I think we all can easily agree on that.

However, I have the opportunity to meet with some of the members of the UConn Foundation leadership, as well as the Administration leadership from time to time and I think there has certainly been a change in direction/focus as it pertains to CR. I don't consider myself an "insider" or privy to any special information, but I have some good relationships that are long standing and I believe that when I discuss these matters (largely in a fundraising capacity) that I get the straight information.

The administration and the Foundation are keenly aware of the importance of athletics and conference to the overall health and future growth of the institution and the Foundation - certainly SH and the new Foundation President Josh Newton understand this implicitly. They also understand that while success in hoops is wonderful, and was just what we needed in 2013, it is not what will get us where we want or need to go.

In discussion about CR 6 months to a year ago, the conversation was hopeful and the hope was centered around how we might be able to gain an invite to the ACC. However, more recently, the discussion seems to have shifted to B1G. I have no idea whether this is wishful thinking, based on careful analysis, conversations with other school Presidents or what - but the shift is clear. When I have these discussions now (about the importance of football or a better conference) the answers are certainly more B1G focused. They are focused around our odds of AAU admittance or how we are trying to grow Uconn in the model of the big publics likes Michigan, etc. This is too obvious to be coincidental and while it ain't much and it ain't new - it's just something I've observed, and something that keeps me hopeful.

Sounds to me like all these "contacts" you have been speaking with must be secret BY posters.

Reaction Score
I think the strategy is to have the profile of B1G school and in the endstate, we are too good to pass up. Worst case, the school ends up better off in the event it doesn't work out.

As much as I love football, it must be absolutely irritating for SH to have the value of the school summarized by the quality of the football program and cable tv.

pj

Reaction Score
The ACC has revealed itself to be non-strategic and each school there is self-interested. Every expansion has been a lever for renegotiating their ESPN contract in line with a rising market value of content. But now they are fully paid for their content and there is no way they can get an uptick in revenue. They have little incentive to add more schools, and we know that some ACC schools want to keep us out.

Whereas the B1G is strategic and is willing to invest in marketshare and mindshare in an under-penetrated region for college athletics. UConn is close enough to their metrics that we are an attractive property for them. I am not saying it will be easy to get this deal done, but there is real potential there -- perhaps more than for the ACC.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
In the lobby of the Hyatt in Dallas, a fellow fan we were sharing stories with happened to be approached by Madam President H. He asked her when we were getting the B1G invite, she said "hopefully in our lifetimes."

That should simultaneously confirm the shift and dampen the spirits of this looney bin in one shot.

Reaction Score
In the lobby of the Hyatt in Dallas, a fellow fan we were sharing stories with happened to be approached by Madam President H. He asked her when we were getting the B1G invite, she said "hopefully in our lifetimes."

That should simultaneously confirm the shift and dampen the spirits of this looney bin in one shot.

Did she give you and your friend a wink at least?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Yes, there's definitely been a shift in the admin toward achieving a B1G invite. I've been told as much by a prominent donor who is very involved, and he said to be patient - wouldn't elaborate any further. Whether a B1G invite is realistic or not, or whether we already have an open dialogue with the B1G are up for debate and ravenous discussion, but it's clear that we are aiming high. Worst case scenario is we are a better overall school and the big fish in the small AAC pond (assuming we are allowed to comply with P5 legislation). Ok so that's probably not the worst case if my parenthetical assumption is not true, but you get it. But realistically I think we will be too good to pass up and we end up jn the ACC.

Reaction Score

She's the President of one of the best public schools in the country. Her satire has got to be top-notch. Sorry you fell for it.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
She's the President of one of the best public schools in the country. Her satire has got to be top-notch. Sorry you fell for it.
Who says I fell for anything? I'm an eternal optimist who believes if she had a plan in place she wouldn't be telling us anyway. Doesn't change the fact you put a quote like that here and it will foster some doubt.

Reaction Score
Who says I fell for anything? I'm an eternal optimist who believes if she had a plan in place she wouldn't be telling us anyway. Doesn't change the fact you put a quote like that here and it will foster some doubt.

You have not understood. I am being the optimist by saying she hid her knowledge to you believing a bid will come sooner. You are the pessimist by saying "hopefully in our lifetimes." and "That should simultaneously confirm the shift and dampen the spirits of this looney bin in one shot."

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
You have not understood. I am being the optimist by saying she hid her knowledge to you believing a bid will come sooner. You are the pessimist by saying "hopefully in our lifetimes." and "That should simultaneously confirm the shift and dampen the spirits of this looney bin in one shot."

Sorry, this is awkward.

Dampen the spirits of others, not me.

Reaction Score
Sorry, this is awkward.

Dampen the spirits of others, not me.

To add to levity... I was in the Hyatt that Sunday evening and SH was looking hot hanging out over by the escalators. I gotta say. I might have had a few beers but she was looking better than ever. Meow. My crush on her reached a new level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog