Conference Re-Alignment Auction Complete | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Conference Re-Alignment Auction Complete

Reaction Score
It's the chicken and the egg. The AAC is a very good football conference and we should not be surprised to see UConn go without a championship for a long time. UConn getting an invite will not be dependent on UConn's football success, we should hope. Football success would certainly be more promising after an invite than before it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cincinnati sucks, it's a god damn commuter school and it's endowment is not especially large even compared to UConn. What's worse is it's rating as an under grad University, it cannot even touch UConn which is rated as a "Public Ivy" school.

.....The primary 4,400-acre (17.8 km2) campus is in Storrs, Connecticut, approximately a half hour's drive from Hartford and 90 minutes from Boston. It is a flagship university that is ranked as the best public national university in New England and is tied for No. 18 in Top Public Schools and No. 56 in National Universities in the 2018 U.S. News & World Report rankings.[5] UConn has been ranked by Money Magazine and Princeton Review top 18th in value.[6] The university is designated "R-1: Doctoral Universities – Highest Research Activity" with the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education classifying the student body as "More Selective", its most selective admissions category. The university has been recognized as a Public Ivy, defined as a select group of publicly-funded universities considered to provide a quality of education comparable to those of the Ivy League.[7][8]

Cincinnati doesn't "suck" academically. It's a good school, and on the graduate research end is ranked better than UConn. As for "Public Ivy", that's just a made up list. There is no such thing, and if there was UConn wouldn't be one. I don't think any public school outside of the top 5 can make any such claim. So Cal Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, Michigan....that's about the list, and none of them are nearly as selective as the lowest Ivies.

I'm not saying UConn isn't more deserving than Cinci, or that this "auction" isn't moronic, both are true. But let's not get carried away. You're touting a public Ivy list that has 30 schools. That's a ridiculous list.

Now, you want to talk about Memphis, they are a terrible academic school. But really, placing us in the MAC, when we are at least arguably the most valuable AAC school (and clearly have the largest athletic budget of all non P5) is just emblematic of extreme stupidity.

Reaction Score
Huskyrob1 unfortunately lives in a dream world that doesn't exist. It is more likely that Cinci will join the Big 12 in five years along with UCF, USF, and even Memphis, before UConn is considered for that conference.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati doesn't "suck" academically. It's a good school, and on the graduate research end is ranked better than UConn. As for "Public Ivy", that's just a made up list. There is no such thing, and if there was UConn wouldn't be one. I don't think any public school outside of the top 5 can make any such claim. So Cal Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, Michigan....that's about the list, and none of them are nearly as selective as the lowest Ivies.

I'm not saying UConn isn't more deserving than Cinci, or that this "auction" isn't moronic, both are true. But let's not get carried away. You're touting a public Ivy list that has 30 schools. That's a ridiculous list.

Now, you want to talk about Memphis, they are a terrible academic school. But really, placing us in the MAC, when we are at least arguably the most valuable AAC school (and clearly have the largest athletic budget of all non P5) is just emblematic of extreme stupidity.
Their undergraduate programs and the quality of their students suck compared to UConn by what ever metric you want to create.
They got funding to build a nice hospital to prop up their graduate research in healthcare. Big Deal.
Cincinnati is playing the same shell game with education programs that Louisville played with athletics.

Reaction Score
I hav

I am not ready to give up on Uconn getting into a p5. If the FB improves, maybe attendence will too. How many people do schools like Indiana get at their games? I know, I could do the research myself. But if we get back to where we were when Edsall left, we can compete with the likes of Indiana or Duke in football. It's not a lost cause in my opinion.
I'm very optimistic on the football team improving markedly in the next few years, but much less optimistic on that fact cutting the mustard for Swofford or Delaney.

Reaction Score
Huskyrob1 unfortunately lives in a dream world that doesn't exist. It is more likely that Cinci will join the Big 12 in five years along with UCF, USF, and even Memphis, before UConn is considered for that conference.
Hey Butty, when's the last time you went to a UConn football game or open practice. Like 35 years ago? Or never?

Reaction Score
I'm very optimistic on the football team improving markedly in the next few years, but much less optimistic on that fact cutting the mustard for Swofford or Delaney.

You could use some of Butch’s Edwin Perkins drink:)

Reaction Score
Hey Butty, when's the last time you went to a UConn football game or open practice. Like 35 years ago? Or never?
I don't live nearby, but I did go to the Rent in 2012. I have been to basketball games however more recently. I did graduate from UConn over 40 years ago, if that mean anything to you. But you still remain as dumb as they come, likely due to your immaturity and lack of rational thought. I have been invited to the coaches road show and will be attending in NYC.

Reaction Score
I don't live nearby, but I did go to the Rent in 2012. I have been to basketball games however more recently. I did graduate from UConn over 40 years ago, if that mean anything to you. But you still remain as dumb as they come, likely due to your immaturity and lack of rational thought. I have been invited to the coaches road show and will be attending in NYC.
I think you just don't like the optimistic flavor of my posts. You only post on the CR board, continue to bash UCONN every chance you get. I'm a research scientist at a major technology corporation, and work on things every day that your feeble mind couldn't even begin to understand. I not only feel sorry for you but even more so for anyone on this CR board that buys into your bull crap.

Reaction Score
I think you just don't like the optimistic flavor of my posts. You only post on the CR board, continue to bash UCONN every chance you get. I'm a research scientist at a major technology corporation, and work on things every day that your feeble mind couldn't even begin to understand. I not only feel sorry for you but even more so for anyone on this CR board that buys into your bull crap.

You know what they say about those who have to tell everyone they are the smartest.

Reaction Score
You know what they say about those who have to tell everyone they are the smartest.
I thought long and hard about revealing that, but felt it was necessary in this case. Not too crazy about your backhanded swipe either, especially when I was defending myself against an unwarranted personal attack. Because I'm optimistic about the Football team going forward is no reason to attack that individual.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought long and hard about revealing that, but felt it was necessary in this case. Not to crazy about your backhanded swipe either, especially when I was defending myself against an unwarranted personal attack. Because I'm optimistic about the Football team going forward is no reason to attack that individual.

Just reading all your other posts. Bully’s like to belittle people to make themselves feel better. To succeed, learn to deal with sarcasm. I did put a smile after my post. You got all defensive instead of dishing it back in the same manner. But you are a researcher at a tech company, so that explains it all

Reaction Score
Their undergraduate programs and the quality of their students suck compared to UConn by what ever metric you want to create.
They got funding to build a nice hospital to prop up their graduate research in healthcare. Big Deal.
Cincinnati is playing the same shell game with education programs that Louisville played with athletics.

I'm not sure what you're familiarity is with their undergraduate programs, but i can tell you i have a niece and nephew who graduated from there in the past several years, one out of their engineering school and one out of their fashion design program in the design college and they landed very, very good jobs. I think Cincy had one of the first co-op programs in the country and both of them went that direction in 5 year programs whereby you co-op with companies for years 2 to 4 which not only put money in their pocket, but also gave them multiple job offers when they were done. My sister landed there when she left Nyc for a position with a large company in Cincy, and she says for that reason it was the best decision she made. Funny thing is both kids are back in metro Nyc with their jobs. My sister is an Ivy League grad so i tend to trust her views.

Reaction Score
It's a basketball and sports forum guys. Whether you are a scientist or a janitor is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
I'm a medical doctor who is at a world class Ivy league university (Hint: Roar! Lion! Roar!) since leaving UConn. One can be optimistic, but at the same time must be realistic. I only wish you would post real and not made up statistics, (like when you claimed that Cinci's endowment was less than one half of UConn's). I really would love to see UConn gain admission to a P5 Conference, but the fact is, it appears to be unlikely (at least in my lifetime).
Please stop spreading falsehoods. Maybe you're dyslexic, I don't know. Diagnose yourself. Or maybe you just read it wrong or I typed it in a way that would make it seem like that was what I was saying. UCONN's endowment is about $421,000,000 and Cincinnati's is slightly over $1 billion. So what I did say or mean't to say is UCONN's endowment is slightly less than half of what Cincinnati's is. So half a billion, one billion, since we're talking in billions of dollars that's not a big difference in my book. I don't know for sure but if I had to guess I'd also say that UCONN's is growing slightly faster. I will also add that UCONN's national ranking among High School Counselor's is 62, tied with Syracuse, Rutgers and a few other excellent schools, while Cincinnati's ranking among High School Counselor's is #209 tied with Faber College. So you can eat these "made up statistics". Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that we will be seeing the slow rise of televised "minor sports" and regional interest sports (softball, hockey, etc).

We are, IMHO, in the golden age of college sports viewing...

I am in my early 70's and remember that you may have seen your team once or twice a year being televised back in the 60s (and that was in a major sport).

You went to the stadium, ballpark, arena to watch your team or listened on the radio. Many read about the game the next day in the paper.

The mode of watching sports has been shifting. As travel costs rise and time is ever more parceled, at the same time that TV's are ever improving picture quality...more folks watch from the comfort of their living room, a few steps from their kitchen and their own bathroom. Hard to beat the convenience.

I just got through watching the Women's CWS....a niche sport, but still televised on ESPN. With the the expansion of the number of media actors, channels, transmission methods, etc...We will be able to watch many of the minor sports on our UHD 65" TV's...and those sports will grow audiences.

There will be more content, more aggregate sports viewing...and maybe over time, less dependence on one sport driving the media.

The times they are a changing...and, so far in my life, the changes have been for the good. Change is incremental and measured...but inevitable.

Reaction Score
Pretty sketchy results with UMass ranked above us. Some the ratings are size adjusted giving smaller institutions higher scores.

These types of rankings/lists are all “sketchy” because they all use different metrics...

... none of them are the end all be all in determining a quality education - that’s why arguments over which school is “better academically ” tend to go nowhere.

Reaction Score
Saw this regarding Buffalo athletics. They chose to drop baseball, men's soccer, men's swimming & diving, and women's rowing. Somewhat surprised this would happen at a large school like Buffalo and is an example of how Football affects so many other sports. Only women's rowing is not sponsored by the MAC. The conference only has 6 programs in its soccer conference, including WVU.

"This decision will better align UB with its Mid-American Conference peers in terms of types and total number of sports teams sponsored by the university. The NCAA requires Division I FBS schools to sponsor a minimum of 16 sports and the Mid-American Conference requires member universities to sponsor football, men's basketball, women's basketball, and women's volleyball."

Buffalo Bulls To Drop Four Sports

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cincy was never in the MAC. They were in the Metro and Great Midwest with Louisville, Memphis, Florida St. at one point in Metro with Va. Tech as well.

Cincinnati was a charter member of the MAC from 1946-1953.............

The five charter members of the Mid-American Conference were Ohio University, Butler University, the University of Cincinnati, Wayne University (now Wayne State University), and Western Reserve University, one of the predecessors to today's Case Western Reserve University. Wayne University left after the first year. Miami University and Western Michigan University took the place of those charter members for the 1948 season. The MAC added the University of Toledo (1950), Kent State University (1951), and Bowling Green State University (1952). The University of Cincinnati resigned its membership February 18, 1953, with an effective date of June 1, 1953.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pretty sketchy results with UMass ranked above us. Some the ratings are size adjusted giving smaller institutions higher scores.
LOL! Rutgers is #41! Who knew!

Reaction Score
This post got ugly quick...

We should compare the aggragate IQs of everyone on the BY that has over 1,200 messages but less than 900 likes and compare that to the individuals with oveer 2,800 messages and over 1,300 likes. Then we can divide by the average temperature on Mars from June 20th-July 15th in the year 1989 and multiply that answer by the number of national championships I have won as a college athlete. Then we get the answer for how important is for everyone to pick on eachother on here.

Yeesh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom