Conference Rankings----Joke | The Boneyard

Conference Rankings----Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's RPI. In December. Not sure why anyone would really care about a list based on RPI right now.

Same old story of tty cellar dwellers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who cares what Harry Palm has to say anyway?

Reaction Score
Trying to figure out on what planet the ACC is the 2nd best basketball conference. Let's see Steve Megargee's explanation:

"This was billed as a two-team league before the season and still could end up that way. North Carolina and Duke are the ACC’s only ranked teams."

Ok. So he's basically acknowledging that there's a chance that UNC and Duke are actually the only legitimate teams in the ACC. I think FSU and Virginia are pretty good too, which would bring the grand total of good ACC teams to a whopping 4. But Steve doesn't even mention those teams.

"The ACC has plenty of quality non-conference wins to compensate for its disappointing performance in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge."

Fair enough, let's see who those quality wins are:

"Quality non-conference wins: North Carolina over Michigan State (Nov. 11), Duke over Michigan State (Nov. 15), Georgia Tech over VCU (Nov. 18), Duke over Michigan (Nov. 22), Duke over Kansas (Nov. 23), Virginia over Michigan (Nov. 29), North Carolina over Wisconsin (Nov. 30)"

He lists seven quality wins and five of them were won by Duke or North Carolina. I'll concede that Virginia over Michigan is a quality win. Georgia Tech over VCU is only a quality win if you're impressed by an ACC team beating the team picked to finish 3rd in the CAA. VCU also got beat by Seton Hall.

So basically, the ACC has one impressive win by somebody not named Duke or North Carolina. Yet it's somehow the second best basketball conference in the country.

Reaction Score
I think that you're mixing things up here. These are RPI ratings, not Steve Megargee's. You can go to warrennolan.com to get all the RPI ratings. Notre Dame (227), Cincy(180) and Rutger's(288) have been early season disappointments. St Johns(261) lost 3 scholly freshmen, and Lavin has not recovered fully from prostate surgery. Basically, the BE seems to be a bit down this year, though maybe not #6. It's still early and these RPI ratings change almost daily.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
The only bad ACC loss is BCU to Holy Cross?

A loss to BU isn't bad? How about a 40 pt loss to UMass?

And that's just one team.

Reaction Score
I have to say the bottom 7 or 8 teams in the Big East are pretty lousy this year( Rutgers, St Johns, Depaul, PC, USF, Notre Dame, Cincy, Nova) None of them make the tourny except maybe Nova and who really knows about WVU, Seton Hall and Georgetown.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
it is hard to argue with a computer. Conference RPI's generally are locked in by the end of December, and with the Christmas holiday, we are almost there. On the other hand, the gap between the ACC at #2 (.5753) and the A10 at #7 (.5532) is very slim so conferences 2 through 7 are essentially tied.

The Big East has 14 games left against the other Top 7 conference, but the conference is going to lose a lot of those games, in addition to some others. USF has Cleveland State and @ Southern Miss, both likely losses.

The poor non-conference performance by the Big East means that it is a 6 or 7 bid league this season, and UConn can not pick up a bunch of losses in league play and still expect a good seed.

Reaction Score
Yeah it appears I missed the blurb about how he listed the conference rankings strictly on RPI.

However I'm pretty confident that once we have a more significant sample size the ACC will not be anywhere near the 2nd best conference in the country, by any measure.

Reaction Score
You could make an arguement for the Big 10 being better than the BE. I can't see an arguement for any other league being ahead of us...Especially #4 Mountain West...

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
And since when is beating VCU a "good win?" I don't care if it was a "good win" for Georgia Tech. We're talking about the conference as a whole here, and in the context of the entire conference, beating VCU means nothing.

Reaction Score
This is beyond absurd. I mean Lunardi, Jerry Palm, Gottlieb, Seth Davis, etc. set a pretty high bar every week for stupidity, but this blows even them way out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom