Conference Networks aren't guaranteed to work | The Boneyard

Conference Networks aren't guaranteed to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Pac-12 owns it outright and they didn't get $2 million a team....

In case you were wondering if the Dude's projections were based anywhere in reality....

Reaction Score
Their network worked, but only to the tune of 25% of projected income. At least they didn't lose money (imagine a smiley emoji here).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Their network worked, but only to the tune of 25% of projected income. At least they didn't lose money (imagine a smiley emoji here).

And if you could just sell the games for more than that... did it still 'work'?

Reaction Score
And if you could just sell the games for more than that... did it still 'work'?

The only games shown on their network will be the ones they can't sell. At least that seems to be what the B1G is doing

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only games shown on their network will be the ones they can't sell. At least that seems to be what the B1G is doing

The Big Ten teams could certainly sell a lot of those games. There are a ton of Big Ten and Pac 12 football games on those networks nevermind the huge quantity of basketball both show.

There were Pac 12 tourney games on the Pac 12 network.

The Pac 12 network is an abject failure - and this is not the time to be trying to sell yet another TV network as carriers bleed subscribers.

You better have a strong partner and the LHN shows even with an ESPN there are no guarantees.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Failure is relative - the Pac12 Network operates in the black and returns about as much as we receive from ESPN for the whole shebang. And it's money for programming that otherwise would not be aired and would not be generating any revenue at all.

It might be mismanaged, though. They've only managed to get in front of 12M people and they continue to fail to sign a deal with DirecTV.

It'd seem that they lack the muscle of the network-backed models of the SEC and Big Ten. Although the they claim to prefer owning 100% of the network, it wouldn't surprise me if they sold off half.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Failure is relative - the Pac12 Network operates in the black and returns about as much as we receive from ESPN for the whole shebang. And it's money for programming that otherwise would not be aired and would not be generating any revenue at all.

It might be mismanaged, though. They've only managed to get in front of 12M people and they continue to fail to sign a deal with DirecTV.

It'd seem that they lack the muscle of the network-backed models of the SEC and Big Ten. Although the they claim to prefer owning 100% of the network, it wouldn't surprise me if they sold off half.

These games wouldn't be televised?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 66

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They don't have the New York market.

Reactions: pj

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
These games wouldn't be televised?

There's a couple good ones there but dang I see a lot of Washington St... And yes I know they're decent, but nobody cares about them. At least with Mike Leach though, they're entertaining.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's a couple good ones there but dang I see a lot of Washington St... And yes I know they're decent, but nobody cares about them. At least with Mike Leach though, they're entertaining.

There are others. UConn was able to sell mediocre football games to SNY... Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, Washingon, Oregon and Stanford couldn't sell games to RSNs?

Sure Washington State might not squeeze 1.9 million out of their PAC12Net games but really everyone else could monetize those games at a better price.

Nobody wants another fringe/niche sports network. If the ACC/Big12/Pac12 want to make any headway they need another path.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
There are others. UConn was able to sell mediocre football games to SNY... Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, Washingon, Oregon and Stanford couldn't sell games to RSNs?

Sure Washington State might not squeeze 1.9 million out of their PAC12Net games but really everyone else could monetize those games at a better price.

Nobody wants another fringe/niche sports network. If the ACC/Big12/Pac12 want to make any headway they need another path.

No, totally agree those games could sell. Washington State or not- because the opponents are draws. I just personally would not be very excited to turn on the P12N to see Cougar football all the time. It appears to be the home of WSU athletics.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, totally agree those games could sell. Washington State or not- because the opponents are draws. I just personally would not be very excited to turn on the P12N to see Cougar football all the time. It appears to be the home of WSU athletics.

I'm pretty sure people with SNY in other places weren't dying to see UConn play an FCS or MAC team but the checks didn't bounce.

But you make a good point why the SEC and Big Ten are the only viable networks. They have teams people in other geographies want to watch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Pac-12 owns it outright and they didn't get $2 million a team....

In case you were wondering if the Dude's projections were based anywhere in reality....

"The Cougars also took in significantly less in Pac-12 Networks distribution revenue — $1.4 million – than they had hoped. WSU originally had projected the Pac-12 Networks’ distribution revenue at around $5 million or $6 million per school."

After a number of reads, I think WSU received somewhere between $3.6 and $4.6MM from the network. Really cumbersome.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"The Cougars also took in significantly less in Pac-12 Networks distribution revenue — $1.4 million – than they had hoped. WSU originally had projected the Pac-12 Networks’ distribution revenue at around $5 million or $6 million per school."

After a number of reads, I think WSU received somewhere between $3.6 and $4.6MM from the network. Really cumbersome.

I think this confirms it's only 1.4 million. Which after further reflection is ridiculously low.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/11/30/In-Depth/Pac12.aspx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom