Conference Champs to get preference in playoff | The Boneyard

Conference Champs to get preference in playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...-get-preference-college-football-playoff-idea

In the plan Delany discussed, a conference champion automatically would qualify for the playoff if ranked in the top six. If fewer than four conference champions were among the top six, the remaining spots would be filled by the highest ranked teams.

Well...it's better than what I thought would happen. Cincy would have been in a couple of years ago, last year would have been: LSU, Alabama, OkSt, and Oregon.

To this point College Football National Champions have been decided more like figure skating than football. I don't think this is the answer, like many I prefer an 8-team playoff or even a 16 team playoff with every conference champ plus at large spots but this is a step on the journey if not the destination.

Reaction Score
Also, ND automatically qualifies if they rank in the top 20

No way! The television mogels have drawn the line with Notre Dame. They must have at least an 8-4 record for automatic inclusion in the playoff. Anything higher they get to bump an 11-1 team.

Reaction Score
the problem is this still relies on voting to determine the top 6. after all the shenanigans with the votes to keep OKState out last year i don't have any illusions that people won't stack their votes to try to manage who makes the top 6. you'll see SEC coaches ranking an undefeated Cinci #23 while ranking a 7-5 Vols #22 to bump up their teams SOS and to keep a BE team out

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I predict that at some point during this current 4 team playoff structure, there is going to be a major scandal with a team throwing or fixing a game to get a conference mate into the playoff. Expand to 16, and these problems go away.

Reaction Score
I predict that at some point during this current 4 team playoff structure, there is going to be a major scandal with a team throwing or fixing a game to get a conference mate into the playoff. Expand to 16, and these problems go away.

Oh boy! That is one hell of a prediction. Who would be in on it? A school's coach, AD, president? The conference commish? Because whoever is implicated would never work in college athletics again.

That is too far of a reach for me. Pitt should have thrown their game against WVU a few years back. That would have been great for the Big East and we'd probably all still be one big, happy, dysfunctional family.

Reaction Score
Still wouldn't make much of a difference. If one of the top six schools lost the conference playoff they would be out of the playoffs anyway as most likely ranked less than sixth

Reaction Score
The use of the Coaches Poll to determine BCS standings is one of the dumbest things in all of sports.

Need to eventually get to at minimum an 8 team playoff with the teams selected by an independent entity (think NCAA Selection Committee).

The only thing this conference champion stipulation does it make it much harder for the SEC to land 2 teams in the 4 team playoff.

Reaction Score
The use of the Coaches Poll to determine BCS standings is one of the dumbest things in all of sports.

Need to eventually get to at minimum an 8 team playoff with the teams selected by an independent entity (think NCAA Selection Committee).

The only thing this conference champion stipulation does it make it much harder for the SEC to land 2 teams in the 4 team playoff.

That is not necessarily a bad thing. I thought it was ludicrous to ask LSU to beat Alabama a second time after beating them in Tuscaloosa. The rest of the conferences are really sick of the SEC and I can't say that I blame them. Alabama didn't even win their own division in the SEC and was playing for the National Title?

Reaction Score

you don't even have top throw a game. just vote. that's the biggest problem IMO is that a coach can pick anyone he wants and nobody can really prove that they're doing it only because it's in their best interests. i remember before the CG last season reading about SEC coaches ranking OKSt at 8 and stuff like that. i can't remember the specifics but there were some pretty obviously crooked picks

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Go away? No. Instead of teams throwing games to get a conference mate into the top 4 they'd just throw games to get a conference mate into the top 16. The number of teams in the playoff is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
you don't even have top throw a game. just vote. that's the biggest problem IMO is that a coach can pick anyone he wants and nobody can really prove that they're doing it only because it's in their best interests. i remember before the CG last season reading about SEC coaches ranking OKSt at 8 and stuff like that. i can't remember the specifics but there were some pretty obviously crooked picks

Every Big 12 coach voted OK St #2 except for Mizzou's Pinkel, who voted them 5th as a nice parting gift to the conference. What's silly is that Saban voted them 4th. In what alternate universe is it a good idea to give a coach the power to directly influence whether his team plays in the NCG or not? It's truly one of the single dumbest things in all of sports. And that says nothing about the coaches' inability to truly evaluate every team in America and cast their ballot accordingly.

But alas.....this is the college football world we live in.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It's an improvement from what we have now. Those wanting 16 team playoff would exclude UConn in most years, just remember that. The so called power conferences would flood the 16 teams playing. Don't forget the season would have to shrink to ten or eleven games in the season which would upset the president and AD's.

Reaction Score
Won't happen. In addition to the Pitt v WVU game already mentioned, sell your conspiracy theory to U of Houston who was one game away last year from a big BCS payday. With big checks and prestige on the line for all its ConfUSA brethren, did you see how S. Miss mysteriously threw the game to help the conference---oops, never mind--- they won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom