Conference additions/defections | The Boneyard

Conference additions/defections

Reaction Score

The remarkable renaissance of Grand Canyon University and its athletic programs took another step forward today after the university officially accepted an invitation to join the West Coast Conference beginning in the 2025-26 academic year.

Glad I switched my season tickets from the Sun Devils to the Antelopes.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oh wow, on the GU boards, at least on the men's hoops thread, they aren't going to be happy about this. Some of them are elitist snobs and they seem to have a hatred for GCU.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle U. also. Huh. That's really dragging down the quality of the conference IMO. Maybe the powers that be love the idea of getting a foot in the Seattle market, but as far as I can tell nobody here gives a darn about SU. It's a Husky and a pro sports town. SU isn't even an afterthought. And they are terrible in most sports.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Conference USA has been busy. Adding Kennesaw St. in '24 and Missouri St. and Delaware in '25.

Is CUSA really a step up for Missouri St. from the Missouri Valley? Honestly in basketball, both men's and women's, I think it it's a step backward. Not to mention geographically non sensical, like most conferences these days. MVC actually seems like a collection of similar schools in close proximity to each other. Can't have that, doesn't fit the current times.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I guess it's about football for Missouri St. CUSA is apparently D1 (or FBS) in football, although I can't remember any of their schools ever making any noise. Missouri Valley is 1-AA (FCS) in football. I'd argue it's actually a better football conference than CUSA. North Dakota St. for quite a few years and now South Dakota St. have won just about every FCS National Championship for the last decade or more.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess it's about football for Missouri St. CUSA is apparently D1 (or FBS) in football, although I can't remember any of their schools ever making any noise. Missouri Valley is 1-AA (FCS) in football. I'd argue it's actually a better football conference than CUSA. North Dakota St. for quite a few years and now South Dakota St. have won just about every FCS National Championship for the last decade or more.

Miss State says the added revenue by going Division I in football is the reason. And I read that would rather fly their athletes for games instead of all of the bus rides that take place playing in the MVC>

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Miss State says the added revenue by going Division I in football is the reason. And I read that would rather fly their athletes for games instead of all of the bus rides that take place playing in the MVC>
Money is everything. Well they were within bussing distance before, certainly won't be now. CUSA stretches from Texas to Delaware and Florida. Trying to live up to their name. West Coast isn't represented though.

Reaction Score
Missouri State and Middle Tennessee could develop into an interesting wbb rivalry. Middle is traditionally good and had one of its better teams last year. Missouri State could be within striking distance with a little bit of improvement in the next year or two.

MTSU's Rick Insell is 72, so he could be on his way out in the next few years. His son Matt is the associate head coach and looks to be in line to replace him when that happens, but you never know if the younger version can live up to the older.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom