Conditional Verbals? | The Boneyard

Conditional Verbals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it possible that recruits would conditionally verbal to Uconn? I'm asking if Uconn would accept...say Vonleh if he says, coach stays, I stay. Coach goes, I open up recruitment again. I know people think its all about the school, but lets face it, kids build relationships with coaches they want to play for. Is that even a possibility or acceptable with regards to school policy? Might force Warde to do the right thing!

H

Husk-E

Are you saying this kid's jimmy and all of a sudden we've turned into the hickory huskers?

Reaction Score
Is it possible that recruits would conditionally verbal to Uconn? I'm asking if Uconn would accept...say Vonleh if he says, coach stays, I stay. Coach goes, I open up recruitment again. I know people think its all about the school, but lets face it, kids build relationships with coaches they want to play for. Is that even a possibility or acceptable with regards to school policy? Might force Warde to do the right thing!
What? Are you saying that Uconn would consider letting a recruit determine Ollie's contract? No recruit is going to force Manuel to do anything.

Reaction Score
What? Are you saying that Uconn would consider letting a recruit determine Ollie's contract? No recruit is going to force Manuel to do anything.
It's not what I'm saying. It's a question to stimulate conversation. BUT since recruiting leads to winning and winning leads to job security...in essence, yes, a recruit can determine Ollie's contract.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
During Calipari's last season at Memphis their administration agreed to release their recruits from their LOI's if Calipari left (the school was dumb enough to think he was loyal). It ended up biting them in the as many ended up at Kentucky. If necessary I imagine that we could offer to release any recruit from their LOI if Ollie isn't retained.

Reaction Score

Unless he's Lamar Odom. Then he gets a throne and a scepter.

Reaction Score
It's not what I'm saying. It's a question to stimulate conversation. BUT since recruiting leads to winning and winning leads to job security...in essence, yes, a recruit can determine Ollie's contract.
Actually it was what you were saying: Vonleh gives a verbal and puts the coaching condition on it. How is Ollie supposed to go to Manuel with that proposition? Ollie would never let it get to that point and if he did he would deserve to get fired.
Recruiting does lead to winning and job security for sure but after the recruits have performed at Uconn not before. You don't know how good a player is until he plays in BE games. We have had our disappointments and we've had our surprises too.We have had highly ranked recruits who brought more problems than than contributions.
I don't like the 1 year contract either but it is now reality. Ollie is going to have to win with this team and the players are going to have to perform in the classroom. Manuel is going to have to see the program moving forward post JC. If this season isn't a disaster then we'll see Ollie get a contract extension.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Most players commit to the coach and not the program. It's surprising when a school keeps all of it's recruits after a coach leaves, not when it loses them. Our football team managed to keep most of the commits RE got after they hired PP but that's predominantly because many didn't have other BCS offers.

As for the thread title, every verbal is conditional. A verbal is nothing more than saying I will go to your school unless someone changes my mind. Nothing is final until they sign that LOI.

Reaction Score
We got Charlie V after Slef left Illinois. He was a verbal who was going to sign in the spring and ended up coming here once his coach left. Not that uncommon.

Reaction Score
give a verbal, but not sign the letter...simple

I've been saying this for weeks.

If the kid is interested in UCONN but only if KO is the coach it's a great solution.

Each recruit verbals and will sign in the spring once they see if KO is the coach.

Reaction Score
If Noah Vonleh wants to verbal to UConn, you ask him if he needs any help in setting up the press conference.

Reaction Score
Programs release players from their LOIs when there is a coaching change all the time, though they are not obligated to do so. As for putting some sort of clause stating such, I don't believe it's allowed.

As someone already pointed out, some elite recruits are now only giving verbals or simply wait till the spring to decide.

The fact that Manuel was not willing to show a greater show of confidence in KO by not giving him a multi-year deal might scare some recruits from signing, worrying that Manuel might not let them out of their LOI if he lets Ollie go.

Reaction Score
I would really love to see a High Profile recruit publicly state that he can't committ to a school that can't committ to a coach (While of course mentioning Uconn is his preferred destination). While we still don't know what Ollie is capable of, many of us think that he should be given longer then 7 months to get off the shadow of the HOFer and come into his own. How does that effectively happend in 7 months? I know recruits don't sign LOI until the spring usually so a verbal is common and non enforcebale, but I guess I'm saying if a recruit publicly admonished our administration for the coaching situation, maybe it can be fixed one way or another. If it's broke, fix it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Aren't all verbals conditional? Conditional on signing an LOI.

Reaction Score
Aren't all verbals conditional? Conditional on signing an LOI.
Yes they are but I guess I should have reworded the thread...conditional verbal per Recruit X if coach Ollie stays...something like that. I mean verbalize it so that media outlets know that it's out there that way. Subject to negative recruiting I'm sure but I'm just trying to see if that is even something a recruit would do if they really liked Ollie.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes they are but I guess I should have reworded the thread...conditional verbal per Recruit X if coach Ollie stays...something like that.

You mean extortion?

Reaction Score
You mean extortion?
Lol..yes I guess. Let's face it, these top tier recruits control the game anyway. This thread is really all about this crappy contract Ollie has man.

Reaction Score
During Calipari's last season at Memphis their administration agreed to release their recruits from their LOI's if Calipari left (the school was dumb enough to think he was loyal). It ended up biting them in the as many ended up at Kentucky. If necessary I imagine that we could offer to release any recruit from their LOI if Ollie isn't retained.
I think that that practice has subsequently been outlawed by the NCAA. Now once you sign a LOI, you are committed.

Reaction Score
Now you're the head coach, and a recruit thinks he was responsible for your job...you're going to have lots of ability to get him to do what you want...NOT...

Reaction Score
I think that that practice has subsequently been outlawed by the NCAA. Now once you sign a LOI, you are committed.

Guys get released from LOIs all the time, it's up to the school if they want to release you or not.

Reaction Score
Not so sure about that, I think once you sign a LOI if you change schools you have to miss a year. And what was outlawed was putting an "X will be the coach" clause in the LOI like Memphis did with Calipari.

Reaction Score
I believe KO would have to truly duckk up, like commit murder, child molestation, etc., before his contract would be terminated. A 7 month contract is insulting, but other than JC and a few NBA coaches, who could recommend Ollie when he was considered? He was really an unknown quantity.

To me, the surprising thing is that the obvious endorsement of Jim C. wasn't sufficient to give KO more than a season's contract. Not a great deal of backing there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom