Concerned About Katie Lou? Don't Worry, Be Happy... | The Boneyard

Concerned About Katie Lou? Don't Worry, Be Happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After watching Katie Lou play at Mater Dei, it's understandable that many are disappointed by her poor shooting so far this year. UConn fans have shown themselves to be incredibly supportive of our kids but also impatient and judgmental at times (I plead guilty here).

As the #1 ranked HS recruit, having eschewed local Stanford and traveled 3,000 miles from home, the stress on this kid has to be enormous. Factor in on top of that her mom's health issue, leaving her sisters with whom she was so close, an injured finger, the light-headedness and 'fainting' at Colgate and its medical implications- well, Lou has had more than her fair share of 'stuff' to deal as a first year collegian in a most challenging athletic and academic environment.

The pressure, from within and without, of the enormous expectations placed on Katie Lou to quickly contribute to a team on a mission, attempting to make history and become the first team ever to win four consecutive WCBB National Championships, well, that has got to be absolutely brutal.

A shooter is a shooter is a shooter, and Katie Lou is definitely that. Her shots are not being forced, blocked or altered- she's just missing clean, open looks. But that will change. She hasn't forgotten how to shoot the basketball, that doesn't happen. I surmise the combination of mental stress and physical adversity she's dealing with right now are overwhelming her a bit. And when those issues are resolved and her confidence restored, and I'm betting that will happen soon...LOOK OUT! We will all see the real Katie Lou.

[btw, the suggestion of weight room activity interfering with her shot seems unlikely- have you seen her 'guns' lately?]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The night is coming when she won't be able to miss! In the meanwhile she is playing better defense (a bit slow on some rotations), is a good passer and seems to read the floor well and along with her ball magnet classmate NC, there is great stuff coming.

Reaction Score
Its just a matter of time.....the college game is faster, bigger and more aggressive defensively.As a consequence, in watching old video of her it seems that she has tried to add a bit of quickness to her release. It just a slight tempo thing that when perfected will strengthen her game.
She seems to have her confidence and she definitely has maintained her happy go lucky personality and that will serve her well. Can't wait to see her first 20 point game.

HuskyJohn

Popular poster
Reaction Score
I very much agree with Huskies Rule and the others. The only thing that I would add is that Geno’s constant refrain that players should work hard to find other ways to contribute when a part of their game is faltering, most often shooting touch, makes a whole lot of sense. Gene's approach not only helps the team but takes pressure off the player in question. If a player is making important contributions to the team’s success, stress on the player is reduced and as a “byproduct” the shooting touch might very well improve.

Reaction Score
I would think privately Geno is pretty confident right now. We're as a team missing lay ups, not shooting as well as we will from 3 point land and Natalie hasn't played yet and we're unbeaten playing a solid schedule. I was watching an old Boston Celtic playoff game and in that series Larry bird was 1-14 to that point from 3 point land. It happens to every great shooter-especially if you take difficult shots as KLS does. At some point soon she is really going to create serious problems for opponents.

Reaction Score
I would rather KLS have a game more like Stewie's than KML's. She can be more than just a 3 point shooter. Some of the buckets she makes in transition or along the baseline are other things she can do besides sit outside and fire away a low percentage shot.

Reaction Score
Geno has a bit of mistrust of all freshmen and it NORMALLY is how he plays them. This year he has STARTED Katie Lou and Collier often and played them in VERY BIG games. That, in UConn, is akin to winning a big award--trust from Coach is the ultimate.

It has been said shooters shoot. DT a huge Ego and Talent and few things really got to her--yet in a Final 4 against ND, missed 15 threes--she hardly ever missed again.
Katiel Lou attacks the basket, rebounds (will do better), brings the ball up the floor like a guard (at 6'3)--her defense is ok, it will be better.
Geno at a time in the past talked about --girly girls, who deferred to those older, more experience, and who didn't want to look like they were hogs or over stepping. I think Katie is a bit of this. When she forgets everything except what she KNoWs--she ll play in the flow. And all will be well in the land of OZ. So says the scarecrow!!

What a pretty smile it is--Kaizen!!!!

Reaction Score
After watching Katie Lou play at Mater Dei, it's understandable that many are disappointed by her poor shooting so far this year. UConn fans have shown themselves to be incredibly supportive of our kids but also impatient and judgmental at times (I plead guilty here).

As the #1 ranked HS recruit, having eschewed local Stanford and traveled 3,000 miles from home, the stress on this kid has to be enormous. Factor in on top of that her mom's health issue, leaving her sisters with whom she was so close, an injured finger, the light-headedness and 'fainting' at Colgate and its medical implications- well, Lou has had more than her fair share of 'stuff' to deal as a first year collegian in a most challenging athletic and academic environment.

The pressure, from within and without, of the enormous expectations placed on Katie Lou to quickly contribute to a team on a mission, attempting to make history and become the first team ever to win four consecutive WCBB National Championships, well, that has got to be absolutely brutal.

A shooter is a shooter is a shooter, and Katie Lou is definitely that. Her shots are not being forced, blocked or altered- she's just missing clean, open looks. But that will change. She hasn't forgotten how to shoot the basketball, that doesn't happen. I surmise the combination of mental stress and physical adversity she's dealing with right now are overwhelming her a bit. And when those issues are resolved and her confidence restored, and I'm betting that will happen soon...LOOK OUT! We will all see the real Katie Lou.

[btw, the suggestion of weight room activity interfering with her shot seems unlikely- have you seen her 'guns' lately?]

Obviously, SOME are judgemental. Many are waiting for the REAL Katie Lou to appear. Kaleen M. Lewis spoiled us and following KML KLS has high expectations thrust upon her. We who trust Geno (almost all) know that Katie Lou will be a super star--even if she isn't the 3 ball shooter anticipated.
Your posting --not in defense of Katie Lou because she requires no defense--that states the truth (in most cases) of where she was and where she is and to where she will develop--is appreciated.

Reaction Score
Who else could it use to give Tuck and Stewie a rest? There are no other bigs on the bench. He HAD to use the Freshmen, in any game, big or small.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Doris Burke said it best during the game telecast, one day very soon KLS is going to have her breakout game. She's going to have one of those 25-pt explosions where she drops 5 or 6 3's and then she'll be on her way. I can see that very thing happening soon.

Reaction Score

Earl the pearl Washington.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Its just a matter of time.....the college game is faster, bigger and more aggressive defensively.As a consequence, in watching old video of her it seems that she has tried to add a bit of quickness to her release. It just a slight tempo thing that when perfected will strengthen her game.
She seems to have her confidence and she definitely has maintained her happy go lucky personality and that will serve her well. Can't wait to see her first 20 point game.
Regarding her release, I think that's what has surprised me the most for a kid who was such a great hs shooter. Maybe you've put your finger on it. She isn't quite as fluid in her motion as I'd expect, and maybe it's what you suggest, a little too quick. You can see how well she understands at least the offensive side of the game. She doesn't simply hang around the outside waiting to shoot. She probably is rushing her shot a little.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite things about her is that after a bad game although she may seem disappointed she never seems discouraged. I think she has a resiliency that will get her through this slump, she by no means seems like a quitter.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I would think privately Geno is pretty confident right now. We're as a team missing lay ups, not shooting as well as we will from 3 point land and Natalie hasn't played yet and we're unbeaten playing a solid schedule. I was watching an old Boston Celtic playoff game and in that series Larry bird was 1-14 to that point from 3 point land. It happens to every great shooter-especially if you take difficult shots as KLS does. At some point soon she is really going to create serious problems for opponents.
How many difficult shots has she taken? Most of her threes are wide open. She seems to hit the ones when a hand is in her face. I think she will start hitting her shots but, weak excuses should not be made for her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I recently re-watched the Notre Dame game, and I don't think enough attention has been paid on this board to KLS's contributions in that game.

She was 3-for-6 on threes, which is probably her best performance to date on that volume of shots, but she made several other plays in that game, including on defense, which really contributed to the victory. At least two of her 3's came at critical moments and were under pressure.

There was one baseline drive that deserves particular comment. I was at the game and saw this tall white chic in a white uniform make a patented drive along the baseline past two ND defenders and score on a reverse layup. At the game, I thought, "Way to go, Stewie!". I thought the same thing when I saw the replay, except in that case the announcer mentioned that Samuelson had scored.

UConn will do very well even if KLS "only" turns out to be a 35-40% 3-point shooter in her college career, provided that she plays a complete offensive and defensive game as Stewie has learned to do. She can't be another Stewie, but she can be that kind of player, with maybe three quarters of Stewie's productivity in all phases of the game. The 3-point shooting will have to be spread among her, Kia Nurse, and possibly Saniya and/or Crystal Dangerfield next year. If Morgan returns, she can also contribute to that.

But that list of 3-point alternatives to KLS in future years only underscores how much more of an impact KLS can have if she does recover her 3-point touch by next season. It will be a complete zone-killer against any opponent if she gets her shot back to the 45% range that she apparently had in high school.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

These are the things that are affecting her most, IMO. I remember Erika Arriaran, who also came out of CA as the number 1 player and advertised as the best shooter that had ever gone to the University of Texas, and she struggled her entire career as her footwork was a bit slow and she did not have a drive to the basket mentality, so she spent her entire career struggling with the speed of the college game.

The little hopping motion that Samuelson has seems to give the defender a split second more to recover on defense, which could be part of the reason that she feels like she has to rush her shot.

Reaction Score
When she gets college quick and college strrong her game will take off. That may nothappen until next year. She will be fine. Right now i think the spped of the game has her off-balance.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I would rather KLS have a game more like Stewie's than KML's. She can be more than just a 3 point shooter. Some of the buckets she makes in transition or along the baseline are other things she can do besides sit outside and fire away a low percentage shot.
Does this mean that Kaleena was NOT more than a 3-point shooter? If it does, you're wrong and contributing to unfortunate story line about KML.

Regarding Lou, I'm confident she'll meet our expectations. She has exceeded my expectations except for her shooting. Who knows when that will change? Mel Thomas was known as a crackerjack 3-point shooter, and she became one at UConn,
but you'd never guess it based on her freshman performance.

Reaction Score
Does this mean that Kaleena was NOT more than a 3-point shooter? If it does, you're wrong and contributing to unfortunate story line about KML.
She really wasn't until the last year or so of her career. Even she is on record saying that all she had to worry about was shooting when she was an underclassman because the team had Stef, and Tiffany, and Bria, and Caroline, and Kelly, to do everything else. She really didn't have to play much inside the arc or worry about setting screens until her junior or senior year. Over her four years, what would you say was her most significant contribution if not her 3-point shooting?

Reaction Score
Sorry, BroadwayVa, Katie Lou will be an incredible 3-point shooter. Have patience. What she needs to do is move more. A two on a jump shot, post up or layup works wonders.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Geno has a bit of mistrust of all freshmen and it NORMALLY is how he plays them. This year he has STARTED Katie Lou and Collier often and played them in VERY BIG games. That, in UConn, is akin to winning a big award--trust from Coach is the ultimate.

It has been said shooters shoot. DT a huge Ego and Talent and few things really got to her--yet in a Final 4 against ND, missed 15 threes--she hardly ever missed again.
Katiel Lou attacks the basket, rebounds (will do better), brings the ball up the floor like a guard (at 6'3)--her defense is ok, it will be better.
Geno at a time in the past talked about --girly girls, who deferred to those older, more experience, and who didn't want to look like they were hogs or over stepping. I think Katie is a bit of this. When she forgets everything except what she KNoWs--she ll play in the flow. And all will be well in the land of OZ. So says the scarecrow!!

What a pretty smile it is--Kaizen!!!!

My personal belief is that KLS and Phee getting so much play in non-garbage time has a lot to do with having only one player in the junior class and the possibility Morgan might join the W next year. Get 'em crunch time experience while we still have Moriah & Stewie around to buffer game results from their rawness. It's fortunate Geno has such talented & zen freshmen to run the play with.

Reaction Score
My personal belief is that KLS and Phee getting so much play in non-garbage time has a lot to do with having only one player in the junior class and the possibility Morgan might join the W next year. Get 'em crunch time experience while we still have Moriah & Stewie around to buffer game results from their rawness. It's fortunate Geno has such talented & zen freshmen to run the play with.
I thought the same thing. It's a good idea. Next year or even this summer they can really hit the ground running with one year of serious experience under their belt. I expect big sophomore jumps for KLS and Phee. KLS as more of the Stewie replacement, and Phee eventually more of a Tuck replacement.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Geno called out Samuelson post-game today. "She has to learn to play harder, she has to learn to compete harder. Sometimes when you are labeled a great shooter and you start to think that's all you do and them when your shot's not going in you don't do anything else. Lou's gonna get there, it's just gonna take some work on her part."

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

Regarding Lou, I'm confident she'll meet our expectations. She has exceeded my expectations except for her shooting. Who knows when that will change? Mel Thomas was known as a crackerjack 3-point shooter, and she became one at UConn,
but you'd never guess it based on her freshman performance.
I just watched an 8-10 minute you tube vide of highlights vs So Car at hm last yr. I was in the lower section. KML , was not only a great player, but she was a complete player. People that may not realize it, just may have missed it. KML did very well for being so "slow"! I'm winking! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom