Composite Ranking | The Boneyard

Composite Ranking

Reaction Score
Using the rankings out there (not equally weighted) I came up with this:

upload_2017-12-29_20-40-47.png

color coded by conference

Reaction Score
Seems pretty clear that voters are undervaluing Rutgers. A win at Michigan St on Sunday should change that.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seems pretty clear that voters are undervaluing Rutgers. A win at Michigan St on Sunday should change that.
That'll be a good game. Michigan State has been playing very well in its last few games.

Reaction Score
I agree. Rutgers seems to be an anomaly. The sixth rated RPI yet down in the polls. The 3 programs that stand out to me are SC, Baylor, and MD. Their RPI numbers are significantly lower than the other teams in the top 15. SC as the defending NC can survive a low RPI but Baylor and MD. can, or should, pay a price at tournament time.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
As an RU fan, I'm fine with them flying under the radar for two reasons:

1. I think this team (and CVS) perform better when they feel like the underdog.
2. I don't think they've proven themselves worthy of a ranking--yet.

For example, they have not beaten any of the other teams in your composite top 25. However, they had some very smart out of conference scheduling this year (as much as one can control). Of their 14 out of conference games, only one was outside the top 200, and only 5 were outside the top 100. That means they have played and beat quite a few teams in the 25-75 range (such as Princeton, NC State, Seton Hall, Houston). The Michigan St game (who I also think is begin undervalued) will be interesting.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I agree. Rutgers seems to be an anomaly. The sixth rated RPI yet down in the polls. The 3 programs that stand out to me are SC, Baylor, and MD. Their RPI numbers are significantly lower than the other teams in the top 15. SC as the defending NC can survive a low RPI but Baylor and MD. can, or should, pay a price at tournament time.

What does being the defending champion have to do with surviving a low RPI?

Their RPIs are currently dragged down by a weak SOS. (This is also the case with Tennessee, Duke, and Oregon State.) But that will change over the course of conference play for each of them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The best reason to display so many ranking vehicles is to illustrate that UConn is #1 #1 #1 #1 :D

Reaction Score
What does being the defending champion have to do with surviving a low RPI?

Their RPIs are currently dragged down by a weak SOS. (This is also the case with Tennessee, Duke, and Oregon State.) But that will change over the course of conference play for each of them.
In my humble opinion I think SC being the defending NC gets them some slack with the people deciding the rankings. I'm not saying I agree with it I just think it's human nature to go easier on them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@vowelguy good work, I opened this thread thinking you were back in your old glory of doing a composite rankings for the recruiting.

Reaction Score
Week 2:

chg - rank - team - Sagarin - RPI - Massey - AP

upload_2018-1-2_17-16-4.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know Duke dropped.... but can you use a darker shade of blue for them? Then again... at the current rate.. they wont be showing up in Week 3's installment. :oops::(

Reaction Score
Updated :
chg - rank - team - Sagarin - RPI - Massey - AP

upload_2018-1-8_13-21-57.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oregon moves up 2 to #7. Ariz St jumps into the top 16 at #15 (+3), and Marquette surges 7 to #24.

So Carolina drops 2 to #9, while WVa falls 5 to #18. Oregon St & Villanova out of the top 25.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This week's bracket:

View attachment 27626

There are a lot of big games coming up this month. Will be interesting to see how things change by mid-February.

ND plays Louisville, Tennessee and FSU this month, then Duke in early February. So they have a chance to solidify the number 2 ranking, or to drop if they stumble a couple of times. Unless they lose more than one of those games, unless they lost one of them by a sizable margin, they will stay at 2

Louisville plays ND and FSU, both at home, so they certainly have their opportunity to move up. They can lose the ND game and stay where they are, unless blown out. If they were to lose to FSU they would drop a few spots. They have a near-certain loss when the play UCONN in February.

MSU has big match-ups in the near future with Tennessee, Mizzou and South Carolina.

South Carolina has games against Tennessee, Mizzou, UCONN and MSU in the next few weeks. Hard to believe that they won't have at least one loss to UCONN, and probably one more.

Baylor plays ranked teams Texas and OSU. We definitely have the fewest opportunities to drop a game compared to the other teams.

Texas plays UCONN (01/15/2018), Baylor (01/25/2018) and then WVU in early February. It's hard to see them losing to WVU unless Martin can get back on the floor for WVU. It is nearing the point in the season where it would be hard for Martin to return and be able to perform at the same level that she did last season. Is it possible that she will redshirt?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are a lot of big games coming up this month. Will be interesting to see how things change by mid-February.

ND plays Louisville, Tennessee and FSU this month, then Duke in early February. So they have a chance to solidify the number 2 ranking, or to drop if they stumble a couple of times. Unless they lose more than one of those games, unless they lost one of them by a sizable margin, they will stay at 2

Louisville plays ND and FSU, both at home, so they certainly have their opportunity to move up. They can lose the ND game and stay where they are, unless blown out. If they were to lose to FSU they would drop a few spots. They have a near-certain loss when the play UCONN in February.

MSU has big match-ups in the near future with Tennessee, Mizzou and South Carolina.

South Carolina has games against Tennessee, Mizzou, UCONN and MSU in the next few weeks. Hard to believe that they won' have at least one loss to UCONN, and probably one more.

Baylor plays ranked teams Texas and OSU. We definitely have the fewest opportunities to drop a game compared to the other teams.

Texas plays UCONN (01/15/2018), Baylor (01/25/2018) and then WVU in early February. It's hard to see them losing to WVU unless Martin can get back on the floor for WVU. It is nearing the point in the season where it would be hard for Martin to return and be able to perform at the same level that she did last season. Is it possible that she will redshirt?

ND's gauntlet got a lot harder with the loss of Lili Thompson on an already thin lineup.
So Carolina has an 8 day stretch of Mizzou rematch, UConn, and @ Miss St. Gonna be tough.
Miss St - with double conference games against Ole Miss, Florida, & Kentucky - may have the easiest remaining schedule, though they've gotta go @ Tenn and @ Mizzou.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ND's gauntlet got a lot harder with the loss of Lili Thompson on an already thin lineup.
So Carolina has an 8 day stretch of Mizzou rematch, UConn, and @ Miss St. Gonna be tough.
Miss St - with double conference games against Ole Miss, Florida, & Kentucky - may have the easiest remaining schedule, though they've gotta go @ Tenn and @ Mizzou.

Baylor plays Texas, WVU and Okie St in a three game stretch. That won't be easy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom