Complaining about the officiating | The Boneyard

Complaining about the officiating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Please stop. I go to our opponents message boards after games and every one complains about the officials and they sound like idiots. No doubt about it we got screwed yesterday, some games you get the calls and others you don't. Winning teams find ways to win when they don't get the calls (see the 1998-1999 UConn team). We blew the game yesterday because of the way we responded to those bad calls. Temper tantrums by the coach, reactions to bad calls by the players. We are getting quite the reputation because of our reactions and will not get the calls because of it. It was 71-71 and we lost because we don't know how to win close games against good teams and may have a coach who does not how to win those close games. Until we start to win close, tough games in hostile environments I am not sure if we are a championship caliber team.

Reaction Score
I hate when people point to a disparity in fouls as if officials need to call the same number on each team. Referees call fouls as they see them, or think they see them, not based on the scoreboard or stat sheet. As someone who has officiated baseball, football, basketball and soccer, I can tell you that in many ways basketball is the most difficult. Referees make mistakes in every sport, and generally in every game.

My other pet peeve is the idea that there are "Makeup" calls. Doesn't happen, or at least it shouldn't happen -- No official wants to make a second bad call.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Please stop. I go to our opponents message boards after games and every one complains about the officials and they sound like idiots. No doubt about it we got screwed yesterday, some games you get the calls and others you don't. Winning teams find ways to win when they don't get the calls (see the 1998-1999 UConn team). We blew the game yesterday because of the way we responded to those bad calls. Temper tantrums by the coach, reactions to bad calls by the players. We are getting quite the reputation because of our reactions and will not get the calls because of it. It was 71-71 and we lost because we don't know how to win close games against good teams and may have a coach who does not how to win those close games. Until we start to win close, tough games in hostile environments I am not sure if we are a championship caliber team.

We literally have one loss on the season. The three previous games before this one were close in the 2nd half and we won all 3 games comfortably. Why don't we get credit for winning those close games?

I'm as annoyed about yesterday as anyone but the overreactions have to stop.

Reaction Score

Just FYI, this is way more obnoxious than complaining about officials.

Reaction Score
We literally have one loss on the season. The three previous games before this one were close in the 2nd half and we won all 3 games comfortably. Why don't we get credit for winning those close games?

I'm as annoyed about yesterday as anyone but the overreactions have to stop.
They were home games vs the worst team in the league and also against a .500 without their best player

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
They were home games vs the worst team in the league and also against a .500 without their best player

So your concern for is that they struggled against a really good team in a close game on the road? Luckily we won't have to worry about beating a really good team on the road in the postseason.

Reaction Score
It’s really about composure and maturity when things don’t go right. Can’t control what the refs call can only control how we respond. Something Hurley has to get under control, probably AJax as well. We are 14-1… terrific team, the sky is not falling.

Reaction Score
Simple minds think it's one or the other. It is possible, even likely, that the officiating was horrendous (it was - one team was given far more leeway defensively than the other from the tip to the final horn), and Hurley was an idiot (and has a history here) for earning a T in a 3 point game with under 3 minutes to go.

This shouldn't be hard, but apparently for some people it's like multivector calculus.

Reaction Score
I hate when people point to a disparity in fouls as if officials need to call the same number on each team. Referees call fouls as they see them, or think they see them, not based on the scoreboard or stat sheet. As someone who has officiated baseball, football, basketball and soccer, I can tell you that in many ways basketball is the most difficult. Referees make mistakes in every sport, and generally in every game.

My other pet peeve is the idea that there are "Makeup" calls. Doesn't happen, or at least it shouldn't happen -- No official wants to make a second bad call.
Make up calls don’t happen? Uh, that is incorrect sir

Reaction Score

The pouting by DH during timeouts is not a good look maturity-wise as a coach. I'm pretty sure the refs see and take note of that as well as the other things. And with the coaches' need to set a good example, it's unrealistic to expect the players to act differently if the coach is doing it. Besides sportsmanship, it may be helpful at times for the other side to be concerned that you are crazy; but AJ has been pushing the envelope lately with the overt chirpiness.

Growth and better self-control by the head coach (and players) is needed, especially for the tougher games at opponents' arenas. DH appears to do a great job recruiting players and preparing them for games, but he probably needs more self discipline, focus and game awareness to make adjustments during games. Otherwise, a national championship, regardless of the recruited talent, may be too high a ceiling at present!

Even though he has won a championship, fans at Kentucky, who feel entitled to a continuing dynasty of annual championships, often criticize Calipari (despite his superior ongoing recruiting achievements) for his decision shortcomings during in-game situations.

A lot of great head coaches have experienced former head coaches with them on the sidelines to help the head coach keep perspective and stay in line during the heat of battle. Calhoun had Blaney and Geno has Dailey. Does Coach Young or Coach Moore do that forcefully enough for DH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom