Complaining about Hamilton? | The Boneyard

Complaining about Hamilton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Posters are seriously complaining about Hamilton on here? QUICK someone boast about Purvis and Calhoun's production tonight and AGAIN about how much better they are going to get.... someday. D Hamilton is a freshman that at least shows talent and promise.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is the BY post-loss. Nobody is safe.

Reaction Score
Yeah man, some people just don't get it at all.
13 points, 5 boards, 4 assists, as a freshman, plus good D and 7 of 8 from the line and the only guy other than Boat with a good enough handle to move the ball into a better position from which to shoot or pass after receiving the ball.

These same people will tell you about how much potential Purvis has, notwithstanding that he was invisible today except for the moment when he lost his cool and violently overreacted when a 5 foot 7 player bumped him. In addition to hitting only one shot from the field and one free throw with two turnovers, he was awful on defense, giving up two open 3s during the big run when SMU took the lead, as well as a weak foul leading to an and-1.

Hamilton is a player. Purvis is a prayer.

Reaction Score
Hamilton competes all game. So does Purvis for that matter. We just don't have a go to 2nd option who can create on his own, THAT is our downfall. You add Deandre to this team and we are likely a 4-5 loss team, at most.

Reaction Score
13 points, 5 boards, 4 assists, as a freshman, plus good D and 7 of 8 from the line and the only guy other than Boat with a good enough handle to move the ball into a better position from which to shoot or pass after receiving the ball.

These same people will tell you about how much potential Purvis has, notwithstanding that he was invisible today except for the moment when he lost his cool and violently overreacted when a 5 foot 7 player bumped him. In addition to hitting only one shot from the field and one free throw with two turnovers, he was awful on defense, giving up two open 3s during the big run when SMU took the lead, as well as a weak foul leading to an and-1.

I'm sorry, but 13 points is not impressive when it's on 3-11 shooting. He looked awful on the floor tonight. He had open looks and missed. He took incredible awful shots and missed. He was beat multiple times on the defensive end. Tonight was not a good performance by Hamilton no matter how you spin it.

Reaction Score

You are an and a horrible poster in down seasons, but Hamilton will be awesome, so I agree with that.

But seriously, I've never seen a poster switch his personality so much season to season. I never know whether to expect the angry drunk, or the cheerful grandfather, until I look at the teams record.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but 13 points is not impressive when it's on 3-11 shooting. He looked awful on the floor tonight. He had open looks and missed. He took incredible awful shots and missed. He was beat multiple times on the defensive end. Tonight was not a good performance by Hamilton no matter how you spin it.
There's no spin at all.
Not only did he not look "awful," if it wasn't for him, we'd have lost by 40. He led the team in assists and had 5 boards. He also handled the ball a lot. His shot wasn't falling, but that was more a function of a very good SMU D and the fact that we don't have a 2nd ball handler.

Look at it this way - if he wasn't taking those shots, then it would have been other guys taking lower percentage shots.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I'm cool just consistently complaining about Nolan.
I watched about a 2 minute stretch in the 1st half, of tonight's game,
where Nolan Flopped, didn't box out, didn't guard anyone, didn't even try to get a rebound, and turned the ball over.
If we had a quality player getting Nolan's minutes this year.
we would prolly have 3 more Wins.

Reaction Score

Hamilton missed a lot of shots tonight but you should recognize that creating open looks is a rare skill. D Ham impressed me tonight with how many good looks he was able to create vs. a good SMU defense. They will fall in time.

Reaction Score
You are an and a horrible poster in down seasons,
Nonsense. I've been very positive this year.

I just really, really dislike Purvis' game. Don't extrapolate that to the rest of the team.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
on the Bright Side...
I think D-Ham will be a Beast, next year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You guys need to look up the word efficiency. Kid has some big holes in his game.
and bazz, kemba, DD, Giffs, all were 1st team AAs their freshman year - you are so right - DHam needs to xfer before he really taints the program's image

Reaction Score
Hamilton missed a lot of shots tonight but you should recognize that creating open looks is a rare skill. D Ham impressed me tonight with how many good looks he was able to create vs. a good SMU defense. They will fall in time.

Rare skill, yes. But there's the other half of completing it. And then also recognizing when you don't have the touch tonight. I mean, no one had the touch tonight except Boatright. What can you do? This team can't score.

Reaction Score
Hamilton missed a lot of shots tonight but you should recognize that creating open looks is a rare skill. D Ham impressed me tonight with how many good looks he was able to create vs. A good SMU defense. They will fall in time.
This is dead on.
This is much like last season early, when a bunch of posters were clamoring for Daniels to stop shooting the 3. It was important that Daniels continued to shoot, even when he was missing them, because he had the ability and he simply needed to get his game on.

Same with Hamilton. After Boat, this kid should have a green light so big that Hal Jordan would be envious.

Write it down - this kid is going to be a very good NBA player at some point. He has a complete game. We need him to keep shooting, and shooting a lot, because he is going to be our leader on the court next year, both in scoring and in all around play. The kid always brings it.

Reaction Score
And then also recognizing when you don't have the touch tonight.
Nonsense. For guys like Hamilton, there is no such thing as, "don't have the touch tonight."

It blows my mind that a good percentage of posters on this board don't agree that Hamilton is awesome, and that much of his negative attributes are directly a result of how bad our 2 guard play is.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. I've been very positive this year.

I just really, really dislike Purvis' game. Don't extrapolate that to the rest of the team.

Fair enough. I feel the same to be honest. We have a team this year that competes but has a very low basketball IQ bball wise. But this is the last time you will see me critical of him. RP plays extremely hard and is always cheering for his teammates. Let's forget his hype and enjoy his development over the next two years.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. For guys like Hamilton, there is no such thing as, "don't have the touch tonight."

It blows my mind that a good percentage of posters on this board don't agree that Hamilton is awesome, and that much of his negative attributes are directly a result of how bad our 2 guard play is.

If there are nights where Kobe doesn't have the touch...then there are nights where Hamilton can not have the touch.

Reaction Score
To respond to OP though, I don't think many of us (well, at least me) are criticizing Hamilton's performance for the year and overall outlook. He just had a bad game. I think he'd be the first person to say that.

Reaction Score
But this is the last time you will see me critical of him. RP plays extremely hard and is always cheering for his teammates.
I really, really need to get where you're at. It would be healthier for me, and I'd be much less of an on this board.

I even swung around on Calhoun this year, and I actually am liking what I see in him.

He does play hard, but in a misdirected manner. It's like he's wailing away with a hammer driving nails, but he never has the hammer oriented correctly, and he's hammering away with the side and the handle and the claw.

There was another play during the big swing early where SMU had a break. It was 3 on 2. Purvis was in the middle on D and another defender was on this right. Ball handler comes right up the middle with a wing on each side. Purvis correctly moves into the path of the ball handler toward the free throw line, while retreating, and then, inexplicably, moves to his left to guard the wing on the right. Ball handler goes right to the rim unmolested and lays it in. About the 10 minute mark of the 1st half. WTF?

This is a nightmare for me as a fan, because the worst kind of player for me to watch is a guy who is wildly inconsistent. Throw in a horrid free throw shooter, and it's really just torture.

But I'm going to take your lead, and take your input.

I'm making a commitment right now not to write anything negative about Purvis after this post. I think we're in for 2 years of equivalently bad play, with "great" games sprinkled in where he goes off for 24 against weak sisters in meaningless games or when the matchup particularly suits him, and I don't see him developing at all.

He's Jerome Dyson II, and Dyson was my least favorite Husky ever.

But that's it. Pinky promise.

Reaction Score
If there are nights where Kobe doesn't have the touch...then there are nights where Hamilton can not have the touch.

I take it that you haven't watched many games this year.
Rare skill, yes. But there's the other half of completing it. And then also recognizing when you don't have the touch tonight. I mean, no one had the touch tonight except Boatright. What can you do? This team can't score.

I spent like 7 minutes trying to come up with a polite response. Just watch more basketball. Legitimately, our first two options are Boat, the third is a DHam iso and the 4th option is something like a T Sam, Omar, or RP iso, and that's why we struggle.

Reaction Score
To respond to OP though, I don't think many of us (well, at least me) are criticizing Hamilton's performance for the year and overall outlook. He just had a bad game. I think he'd be the first person to say that.
I completely disagree.
He didn't shoot well.
He didn't have a bad game.

Big difference. 4 assists (led team and 40% of all assists), 5 boards (2nd on team), and 7 of 8 from the line. That's not a "bad game." 3 for 11 from the field is a bad shooting day, however, to be sure (but he needed to be aggressive like that to get to the line, remember).

Reaction Score
Hamilton is a future star but he is a freshman. We are asking the kid to play the 4 and guard much more mature and stronger players and he has done ok. He has a lot of talent and will be our most talented player next year by a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom