Comparison of the Athletic Departments of Big 12 Candidates | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Comparison of the Athletic Departments of Big 12 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm not one of the people who thinks soccer titles matter, and I understand the B12 has vastly different motivations than the ACC or B1G.

But a blanket statement of "it's only about football" hasn't been true about expansion since the ACC kickstarted everything in 2003. It's an (incorrect) oversimplification of a far more complex issue.

Expansion during the modern era after the university presidents took control of the NCAA began in 1991 when Arkansas went to the SEC, but you're right, it's not 100 percent about football, only 85-90 percent, which is the impact the sport has on AD budgets. Even Tranghese admitted it's 90 percent when he was once interviewed several years ago.

The original premise of this thread was that the B12 presidents will look at other sports. To the extent that those affect the remaining 10-15 percent of the money, I'm sure they will, but some of the surviving B12 candidates aren't even on anybody's radar in those other sports, yet they're technically still in the running and considered favorites by some. That's because they have comparatively good football programs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The original premise of this thread was that the B12 presidents will look at other sports. To the extent that those affect the remaining 10-15 percent of the money, I'm sure they will, but some of the surviving B12 candidates aren't even on anybody's radar in those other sports, yet they're technically still in the running and considered favorites by some. That's because they have comparatively good football programs.

Mmm, not quite Nick. The original premise of this thread was that UConn's athletic department measures up favorably when compared the other Big 12 candidates. The athletic department is more than just football. But football (and distance, I guess) is the weak element in our resume. So if Coach Diaco puts together another decent season, it takes away the biggest objection to our candidacy.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
So if Coach Diaco puts together another decent season, it takes away the biggest objection to our candidacy.

The sad thing is, I don't think it does. We had gone to a Fiesta Bowl only twenty two months before the ACC made their last expansion decision and the narrative was our program sucks. Then FHCPP and his right hand dummy, GDL made sure that narrative stuck.

Ironically, making a BCS bowl was about the worst thing that ever happened to UConn football. Not only did it spring the masses into thinking we don't travel, but it was the catalyst for the "Big East shouldn't have a BCS slot because an 8-4 UConn won the league, and they lost to Temple" argument. Ever since, we have been the school that didn't deserve to be there.

A big year from Diaco and the boys, and it will be "well they only did it in the AAC."

Reaction Score
The sad thing is, I don't think it does. We had gone to a Fiesta Bowl only twenty two months before the ACC made their last expansion decision and the narrative was our program sucks. Then FHCPP and his right hand dummy, GDL made sure that narrative stuck.

Ironically, making a BCS bowl was about the worst thing that ever happened to UConn football. Not only did it spring the masses into thinking we don't travel, but it was the catalyst for the "Big East shouldn't have a BCS slot because an 8-4 UConn won the league, and they lost to Temple" argument. Ever since, we have been the school that didn't deserve to be there.

A big year from Diaco and the boys, and it will be "well they only did it in the AAC."
I think you nailed it. uconn's BCS appearance has become the 'poster child' for all things negative with the BCS and why the Big East wasn't BCS worthy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom