Comparing Stats - this year to the past four | The Boneyard

Comparing Stats - this year to the past four

Reaction Score
Had the history and thought a look at how this year's team, to date, stacks up against the four latest championship years in terms of some statistics might be fun. Interestingly, they compare nicely with the freshman and sophomore year's of the "BIG THREE" and, especially given their youth (in terms of time at UConn), don't have too much ground to make up with the 2015 and 2016 team stats. All in all, something we know already, a great base for an even better future.

upload_2017-2-27_13-59-57.png

Reaction Score
Where this year's version is slightly off is where you'd expect a height-challenged team to be: rebounds and blocks--off-set by the productive offense. The defense is a bit more generous, but the assists and a/to ratio are a bit better in 2017. But what's remarkable is the similarity over-all, and, most especially, the outcome. Wonder if Geno is impressed with this year-in, year-out excellence by the numbers? The height concern will be obviated next season as will the bench issues. Yay.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting the UCONN stats-impressive. Its fun to compare OSU stats vs. the best-in-class "benchmark" in the NCAA Women's game. Surprisingly, OSU is very close to UCONN in half the categories, but is miles apart from UCONN in turnovers, turnover margin, assist to turnover ratio, steals, scoring, & scoring margin. UCONN stats are unreal. It supports what I saw in our game last year, where UCONN turned over OSU often, and, went on a couple large runs. Not only that, but shot the lights out.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Had the history and thought a look at how this year's team, to date, stacks up against the four latest championship years in terms of some statistics might be fun. Interestingly, they compare nicely with the freshman and sophomore year's of the "BIG THREE" and, especially given their youth (in terms of time at UConn), don't have too much ground to make up with the 2015 and 2016 team stats. All in all, something we know already, a great base for an even better future.

View attachment 20138

They're also playing a tougher schedule than they did in 2016 and 2015. In conference play this year, 12 of the 15 wins have been by 40+. The games against top 10-15 teams they've won by an average of 11 points per game. I'm sure this number pales compared to the previous 3 years, but I'd expect that margin to increase next year as UCONN gets significantly stronger and other top programs have big losses to make up for.

Reaction Score
Quick impressions - future. Defense should improve, both by more experience and a big in the middle once again. This should also up rebounds a bit and, without a doubt, provide additional blocks. The team should be scoring in double figures (some more than just the margin) per starter and get additional scoring from a longer and more experienced bench. And, given the lofty starting point for all those stats - and they did compare well with the past - the next couple of years should be great for fans of UConn and basketball as it should be played.

Reaction Score

View attachment 20138

HOOPS: you do such a great job with this sort of thing. Found this fascinating - thanks.

Reaction Score
Although we beat them, Baylor is our Kryptonite. I think they are the only team that can beat us if the game is called even remotely fairly. We need to be healthy and we need to play our A game if we face Baylor or this could be the first time we lose in the championship game. Of course, that assumes Baylor doesn't choke again and actually makes it to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Although we beat them, Baylor is our Kryptonite. I think they are the only team that can beat us if the game is called even remotely fairly. We need to be healthy and we need to play our A game if we face Baylor or this could be the first time we lose in the championship game. Of course, that assumes Baylor doesn't choke again and actually makes it to the Final Four.
Baylor didn't choke last year, they got beat by a better team (IMHO).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think maybe 7 teams can be us this year. We are the favorite to win it all, but we aren't bulletproof this year.

Reaction Score
I am having a lot of fun this year and in part because I am keenly aware that injury could end the run and the fun. Two injuries to our top four players and we are done. Kia is already having trouble. If she doesn't get back to normal and we lose any of the other three of the core four, we are likely going to lose to somebody. Not wishing it, but that is the reality.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think maybe 7 teams can be us this year. We are the favorite to win it all, but we aren't bulletproof this year.
Which 7 are you thinking? In order, I'd list: Baylor, ND, and Maryland. I was concerned about Texas and Florida State a few weeks ago, but not now. Stanford might have an outside chance, because of excellent coaching. Maybe SC does too. I don't see Mississippi State as a threat. I think that we handle Maryland in Connecticut unless there is found trouble again. Notre Dame is playing better, but still looks weaker than they have for 6 years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've been tracking assists all season. This year's team is on track to break the all-time NCAA record of 850 set by the 2013-14 Huskies. They currently have 671 and need to average just under 20 apg, assuming they get to play 9 more games. If they break the record they will do so having played 2 less games than the 2013-14 Huskies (38 vs 40).

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This season's defense and rebounding stats are somewhat skewed by the need to stay out of foul trouble.
There was a stretch in the game last night in which State was grabbing boards, seemingly unopposed.
In retrospect it was conservative play by our forwards in the absence of a legitimate bench and was most likely signaled in from the sidelines.

The message: we can outscore these guys if we stay on the court.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Which 7 are you thinking? In order, I'd list: Baylor, ND, and Maryland. I was concerned about Texas and Florida State a few weeks ago, but not now. Stanford might have an outside chance, because of excellent coaching. Maybe SC does too. I don't see Mississippi State as a threat. I think that we handle Maryland in Connecticut unless there is found trouble again. Notre Dame is playing better, but still looks weaker than they have for 6 years.
FSU, Maryland, Baylor, ND, South Carolina, Miss St.,... and TULSA!

Really, I just think that we are beatable. For the last few years we've had a big margin of error. We were likely to win even if things went wrong for us. This year we've got young women playing very good basketball but we need to be operating on all cylinders to win it all. Against good teams we are vulnerable to injury, foul trouble or an off shooting night.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Very interesting stats. Thanks, Hoppy!

A few thoughts:

The passing skills were on display last night. If this group wins the NCAA championship and breaks the assist record, that will be the story.

Steals are down from last year. Stewie had a lot of them, but Moriah committed petit larceny on a regular basis.

Scoring is down from 2015, because that team included a player who made about 120 3-pointers. K could score and shoot with anyone.

Blocks have dropped since Kiah left. The big lineup of Stef, Stewie, and Kiah in 2014 was impenetrable.

As I argued before the season started, we have a smaller margin for error this year. But it was so big last year that we may still be fine. Indeed!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This team has a great shot at again having five players with over 100 assists. But a starter, Napheesa, is not one of them. [Crystal]

Reaction Score
This team has a great shot at again having five players with over 100 assists. But a starter, Napheesa, is not one of them. [Crystal]
When she gets the ball - where she gets the ball - odds are that two out of three times she'll score. Just enough passes and assists to make defenses wary. Love it!!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The curious thing is pundits are pointing at the Final Four location as favorable for Baylor yet last year, they lost in that exact same regional which hosted-DALLAS!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom