Comparing Paige to other 3 Naismih finalists | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Comparing Paige to other 3 Naismih finalists

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agreed. Players like Megan Gustafson, A'ja Wilson and Kelsey Plum were on teams that were never in consideration for a title but deservedly won POY.
?
Plum’s Washington team made it to the FF where they lost a close game to Syracuse in the semis. Gustafson & Wilson were both on conference championship teams at Iowa & SC respectively.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
?
Plum’s Washington team made it to the FF where they lost a close game to Syracuse in the semis. Gustafson & Wilson were both on conference championship teams at Iowa & SC respectively.
Speaking for BBallnut re: SC/Wilson.. I kinda get where they’re going.. Wilson won NPOY her senior year and while SC was good that year not many of us expected that team to win a title. That team had deficiencies all season. Had Gray and Davis returned instead of leaving early then it’d be a different story. Elite Eight was the ceiling for the ‘17-‘18 team and they hit it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Speaking for BBallnut re: SC/Wilson.. I kinda get where they’re going.. Wilson won NPOY her senior year and while SC was good that year not many of us expected that team to win a title. That team had deficiencies all season. Had Gray and Davis returned instead of leaving early then it’d be a different story. Elite Eight was the ceiling for the ‘17-‘18 team and they hit it.
I got that too. My contention is not that a player needs to be on the national championship team. The votes are cast well before the FF. But it is important that the NPOY be the best player on a conference championship team and have a media narrative that supports their candidacy throughout the season.

In Wilson’s case, she was the returning star of the prior year’s national champions, the well publicized, odds on favorite to be the NPOY before the season ever started and she lead her team to the SEC championship.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
?
Plum won POY when her team was a Sweet 16 team. The game you're referencing too vs Syracuse was when she was a junior (and they got slaughtered by Syracuse).

Iowa and SC were blown out in the Elite 8 and never were ranked number one or viewed as strong title threats. All three of those players deservedly won NPOY that year despite being on teams that weren't close to being the best team in the country so saying "best player + best team = POY" isn't always accurate which makes it a weak argument IMO. That's the main point I'm trying to make.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Plum won POY when her team was a Sweet 16 team. The game you're referencing too vs Syracuse was when she was a junior (and they got slaughtered by Syracuse).

Iowa and SC were blown out in the Elite 8 and never were ranked number one or viewed as strong title threats. All three of those players deservedly won NPOY that year despite being on teams that weren't close to being the best team in the country so saying "best player + best team = POY" isn't always accurate which makes it a weak argument IMO. That's the main point I'm trying to make.
My point has been that the best team in the nation is not necessarily a factor, and is never really determined until the NCAA championship game, weeks after everyone has voted on NPOY awards. Being the best player on a conference championship team ( P5 + whichever conference UConn is in) does matter. Of the 3 players you cite, only Plum came up short on a 26-9 team.

But my second criteria, having a media narrative necessary to push any player to a NPOY was there. In Plum’s case it was her effort to achieve the holy grail of shooting 50/40/90, while breaking the all-time WBB scoring record.

One additional point. I think it’s essential that a player considered for NPOY earn their CPOY. That is one reason why I discount Caitlin Clark’s chances to earn NPOY.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Admirably short, to the point, and wrong! How many MVPs in the NBA don’t play on the championship winning team? Quite a few. You do not have to play on the best team to be the best player!
I never said NPOY had to be the best player. There are many great players and several play positions that are difficult to compare by stats. I just meant she should be the best player on the best team. Or at least one of the best. IMHO, the player that contributes most to their team winning is the best player. And yes much of that cannot be quantified.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I can certainly see the argument for Paige, what bothers me is the contention by many that Clark is not even in the running. That’s not even true vis a vis Paige much less the other three. She (Clark) certainly had a better case than Boston, Howard and Evans and there is at least an argument to be made that it was better than Paige’s too. Imo, of course. The defense argument is meaningless. How can you quantify the relative contributions of Paige and Clark to their relative teams defense? Steals yes, but the rest?
I agree when there is a clearcut favorite for POY the importance of a team’s success diminishes. However, if there is not a clearcut favorite then a team’s success will factor in. The same is true for defensive considerations. If there is not a clearcut POY based on offense or stats, then defensive ability matters for granting one an edge. To downplay it as meaningless because of lack of metrics is disputed by players like Dolson being honored with NDPOY. Right or wrong, experts indeed make judgements on defensive prowess in absence of sufficient metrics.

Both team success and defensive ability favors Bueckers over Clark. Both are undisputed (well, it seems you may dispute defensive ability based on lack of metrics but experts do not agree with you). Therefore, for Clark to have a better “argument” than Bueckers her case outside of team success and defense must be convincing. It is not. Clark has better volume data, Bueckers has better efficiency data. If Bueckers averaged fewer minutes than Clark that could help explain away her better efficiency, but she averages more than Clark. Bueckers shooting % is extraordinary for a guard.

Most would say such efficiency trumps volume. Apparently you do not, but for Clark to have a better “argument” for POY despite the handicaps with team success and defense volume would have to decidedly trump efficiency in importance. As an opinion it’s neither right nor wrong, but not many would share that opinion.

Reaction Score

Iowa, SC, and Washington were never serious title contenders the years those players won NPOY, but they were still one of the top teams in their respective conferences. Washington was third in the PAC-12 and was in the 10-15 range nationally. SC and Iowa both finished second in their conference and were top 10 teams, though on the lower end. So all three players were still on teams that were quite good.

In regards to Clark, who was brought up earlier, Iowa was a middle of the road Big 10 team this year. They have come along nicely near the end of the season and are playing like a top 25 team now, but there is a difference between the teams of those three previous NPOYs and Iowa this year.

I agree that the NPOY should not have to go to the best player on the best team or even the best player on one of the best teams, but it usually goes to a player who is on at least a top 10 or top 15 team.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
My point has been that the best team in the nation is not necessarily a factor, and is never really determined until the NCAA championship game, weeks after everyone has voted on NPOY awards. Being the best player on a conference championship team ( P5 + whichever conference UConn is in) does matter. Of the 3 players you cite, only Plum came up short on a 26-9 team.

But my second criteria, having a media narrative necessary to push any player to a NPOY was there. In Plum’s case it was her effort to achieve the holy grail of shooting 50/40/90, while breaking the all-time WBB scoring record.

One additional point. I think it’s essential that a player considered for NPOY earn their CPOY. That is one reason why I discount Caitlin Clark’s chances to earn NPOY.
Agree with the main points, although I put a lot more weight on a regular season conference champion than winning a 3 day tournament like A'ja did in 2018 when Mississippi State was the clear top dog of the SEC that season. Even if SC lost the SEC tourney, A'ja still wouldve dominated POY awards.

Also disagree with a player having to win CPOY to be NPOY. CPOY is for that conference's regular season, NPOY is for non conference, plus conference, plus conference tournament. Usually this goes hand in hand but once in a blue moon it doesn't. For example, Candace Parker wasn't SEC POY at Tennessee her senior year but won majority of the national awards. Fowles deservedly won SEC POY due to her SEC regular season but Parker had a stronger season overall pre-NCAAs and won most of the POY awards.

I agree Clark's chances of winning NPOY are heavily discounted, but it's due to her team not being in the top 25 all year rather than losing out on Big Ten POY to Hillmon.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Iowa, SC, and Washington were never serious title contenders the years those players won NPOY, but they were still one of the top teams in their respective conferences. Washington was third in the PAC-12 and was in the 10-15 range nationally. SC and Iowa both finished second in their conference and were top 10 teams, though on the lower end. So all three players were still on teams that were quite good.

In regards to Clark, who was brought up earlier, Iowa was a middle of the road Big 10 team this year. They have come along nicely near the end of the season and are playing like a top 25 team now, but there is a difference between the teams of those three previous NPOYs and Iowa this year.

I agree that the NPOY should not have to go to the best player on the best team or even the best player on one of the best teams, but it usually goes to a player who is on at least a top 10 or top 15 team.
Agree 100% with all that. I wasn't trying to boost up Clark as a POY but just discredit the argument of "best player on the best team = POY, end of story"

Reaction Score
Agree 100% with all that. I wasn't trying to boost up Clark as a POY but just discredit the argument of "best player on the best team = POY, end of story"
If POY was for the best player on the best team, you would expect one of the four candidates to be from Stanford at least, possibly Baylor, and possibly Elissa Cunane of NC State. But to a large degree it's an individual award.

Reaction Score
If POY was for the best player on the best team, you would expect one of the four candidates to be from Stanford at least, possibly Baylor, and possibly Elissa Cunane of NC State. But to a large degree it's an individual award.
Stanford is balanced. There’s a sliding scale. If you dominate for a team and carry them into the top 10, you can win over higher ranked teams that are balanced. But you historically have to lift your team to a high ranking.

Kelsey Plum is one of two players to ever win the Naismith from outside the top 10 (Cheryl Miller did too for No. 11 USC in 1985 as a repeat winner). And she averaged 32 ppg and broke the ncaa scoring record for the No. 12 team to do it. Plus it was easy to win over the best player on the No. 1 team - since even this board wasn’t sure who that was. Collier and KLS both averaged 20 ppg, so which one do you take?

Only 6 Naismith winners in 40 years have come from a team outside the top 6 - Plum (12), Gustafson (8) and Wilson (7) were three of them in three straight years. Miller and Sue Wicks (9) did it in 1980s. I forget the other. DT was one of the No. 6 winners of the Naismith, although Alana Beard of No. 1 Duke won most of the other NPOY awards.

So it’s sort of an individual award, but not really. You need to be on a 1 seed or a 2 seed type team historically to really have much of a chance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In WCBB the NPOY is picked in the preseason and holds true to the end of the year. That's what happened in 17, 18 and 19. Plum had to score in 17 and if she didn't they lost. Uconn had the Super Sophs but arguably their best player was Williams! Not only did she deserve AA but NPOY in her Jr or Sr year IMO! Here's a better example in 2010 Tina was touted as the NPOY all season long. They got this one wrong because Maya was the best player in college that year for sure!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom