Comparing current players to past player | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Comparing current players to past player

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
SN reminds me of the reach around bandit!

Reaction Score
As for the difficult to pin Olander...how about Souleymane Wane? Similar stat lines, but one was the 8th man off the bench and the other is our starting center.

Okwandu= Souleymane

Reaction Score
Here's how I see it:

Napier - Sheffer
Boatright - Bialosuknia
Calhoun - Pikiell (pre-shoulder)
Daniels - Henefeld
Olander - Eric Hayward
Giffey - Denham
Wolf - Souley
Nolan - Voskuhl
Tolksdorf - Rudy Johnson
Evans - Randy LaVigne

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Napier - El Amin

Boatright - Young Kemba, right down to the sketchy defense and shot selection. Boat will be a monster next year.

Calhoun - Denham. Good overall players, athletic but not blazing fast. I hope Calhoun develops the handle which Denham never did.

Daniels - More like a Syracuse player than UConn player. Trying to come up with a comparable.

Olander - less athletic Voskuhl. Bruiser that plays hard and smart for the most part.

Giffey - Rudy post knee surgery?

Wolf - would have been the next Thabeet. Not saying he would be a high first round pick, but then Thabeet shouldn't have been a high first round pick either.

Nolan - Klaibor

Tolksdorf - Harelson?

Reaction Score
I know he didn't go to UConn, but Deandre Daniels reminds me a lot of Jeff Green.

Reaction Score
Where does the idea that Calhoun is more explosive or more athletic than Dyson come from? Is there any evidence for this?

For me, I remember watching Dyson and seeing how much he strained his body (mainly his knees) every time he made an explosive dunk. Which ended up hurting him because he tore his ACL. I don't think his body was built to be as athletic as he made himself to be. (Yes, I think it's possible that we can outdo our own bodies natural abilities) It seems to be much more fluent for Calhoun when he makes an explosive play. So I don't think he has built his game around his athleticism, rather, his natural athleticism IMO has a much more stable foundation than Dyson. Just my perspective.

Reaction Score
Oh and my bad, as for evidence, mainly youtube videos but occasional in-game chances here and there. However, I think his handles have limited his ability to show his full athletic potential, so far.

Reaction Score

As you can see here, compared to Dyson, Omar Calhoun gets higher and dunks just as explosively as Dyson did but does not have to put in the amount of physical energy on his take-off that Dyson had to to when you watch his dunks. Which is what I think contributed to Dyson's ACL injury later on.

Reaction Score
Omar is a stud and a natural scorer, but he is nowhere near as athletic as Dyson. Even after his knee surgery Dyson is a far better leaper. There are lots of good things to say about Omar, but as far as athleticism, he is pretty ordinary for a Big East caliber player. He does have onions and can fill it up, but his success at UConn thus far is not based on being a superior athlete, rather he is just a natural scorer.

Reaction Score
Omar is a stud and a natural scorer, but he is nowhere near as athletic as Dyson. Even after his knee surgery Dyson is a far better leaper. There are lots of good things to say about Omar, but as far as athleticism, he is pretty ordinary for a Big East caliber player. He does have onions and can fill it up, but his success at UConn thus far is not based on being a superior athlete, rather he is just a natural scorer.
I agree dyson was a better leaper. However I see athleticism as more than just jumping. For a freshman his strength and quickness are very high. his versatility on defense and frame make him above average IMO. the brown comparison would be apt if Calhoun had scored 100 above the border

Reaction Score
Here's how I see it:

Napier - Sheffer
Boatright - Bialosuknia
Calhoun - Pikiell (pre-shoulder)
Daniels - Henefeld
Olander - Eric Hayward
Giffey - Denham
Wolf - Souley
Nolan - Voskuhl
Tolksdorf - Rudy Johnson
Evans - Randy LaVigne

I like that you went back as you did for your comparisons. Napier and Sheffer is one I didn't think of, but is appropriate. Neither had speed, but both had a great BB IQ and could shoot. You must be seeing something I don't, but I don't get the Boat - Wes comparison. One was a non-quick, always in control, lights out shooter and the other a quick, out-of-control guy who is a mediocre shooter at best.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Napier = Price
Boat = Kemba
Calhoun = Rip
Daniels = Rudy
Olander = Okafor
Evans = Ed Nelson
Giffey = Caron
Nolan = Hilton
Tolksdorf = Rashad

I think those are blatantly obvious comparisons.

:)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Napier = Price
Boat = Gywnn (I hope he evolves into Kemba)
Calhoun = Butler (a great physical speciman with game)
Daniels = Scoe (kid who learned to play tough, and can be very very good. Scoe just didn't seize his chance, Daniels will)
Olander = Ron Hrubala (only difference is Big East vs Yankee Conference)
Evans = D. Beverly
Giffey = Nelson (always wanting a little bit more from them, kinda like some sort of tease)
Nolan = Hilton
Tolksdorf = Uri Cohen-Mintz

Reaction Score
Honestly, Napier kind of reminds me of Khalid el Amin. (El Amin being better obviously, but attitude wise. never afraid to take big shots, shooting lights out in big wins but also shooting us into losses, etc.)
Especially if you're just talking this year, I really think Napier-ElAmin is a pretty good comparison. Napier has obviously not eaten as many pies, either.

Anyone comparing Boatright to Kemba...oy! that is why I hate these things. People make silly comparisons. Boatright is a nice player, but really he couldn't carry Kemba's jock. maybe in a year or two, but right now, please. I'm not sure about Daniels. He has played the whole year out of position which I think has really hampered his effectiveness, especially on offense. I can't think of anyone who has played out of position like that. Giffey is a poor man's Henefeld maybe. Not on the same planet talentwise, but he has a knack for making plays you don't expect him to make. And if you don't pay attention he can take you to the cleaners pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
Especially if you're just talking this year, I really think Napier-ElAmin is a pretty good comparison. Napier has obviously not eaten as many pies, either.

Anyone comparing Boatright to Kemba...oy! that is why I hate these things. People make silly comparisons. Boatright is a nice player, but really he couldn't carry Kemba's jock. maybe in a year or two, but right now, please. I'm not sure about Daniels. He has played the whole year out of position which I think has really hampered his effectiveness, especially on offense. I can't think of anyone who has played out of position like that. Giffey is a poor man's Henefeld maybe. Not on the same planet talentwise, but he has a knack for making plays you don't expect him to make. And if you don't pay attention he can take you to the cleaners pretty quickly.

How has playing "PF" hampered Daniel's effectiveness when he's playing mostly 15ft and out on offense most of the time? I just don't get this board when it comes to the labeling of positions. Neither Daniels or Giffey are being asked to be Jeff Adrien or Josh Boone on offense, they are playing as perimeter players and helping to spread the offense out when on the floor.

Reaction Score

As you can see here, compared to Dyson, Omar Calhoun gets higher and dunks just as explosively as Dyson did but does not have to put in the amount of physical energy on his take-off that Dyson had to to when you watch his dunks. Which is what I think contributed to Dyson's ACL injury later on.

I think you're telling yourself you're seeing something that backs up your theory, because i don't see that from what you posted.

Type Jerome Dyson into youtube. Watch the dunks from MSG. Re-think.

Reaction Score
that terrible "charge" call on that dunk against Gardener Webb in the 2k classic, the speed in which Dyson got down the court, the explosion on the dunk, in no way is Omar seeing Dyson on athleticism, I'm with you on this one.

I think you're telling yourself you're seeing something that backs up your theory, because i don't see that from what you posted.

Type Jerome Dyson into youtube. Watch the dunks from MSG. Re-think.

Reaction Score
Can anybody confirm Calhoun as 6'5 ? I've seen reports where they mention his name and follow it with 6'3

Reaction Score
I've seen Calhoun dunk once in game this year, and it was nothing special. I compared him to Denham (who could bust out some scary hops when he wanted too as well) but based more on his shooting/slashing and scrappy rebounding.

I'm surprised no one has compared Boatright to Tony Robertson.

Reaction Score
I like that you went back as you did for your comparisons. Napier and Sheffer is one I didn't think of, but is appropriate. Neither had speed, but both had a great BB IQ and could shoot. You must be seeing something I don't, but I don't get the Boat - Wes comparison. One was a non-quick, always in control, lights out shooter and the other a quick, out-of-control guy who is a mediocre shooter at best.

There is actually an outside-the-box theme to my comparisons, if you look a little closer. I often try to be the anti-Keith Van Horn = Larry Bird guy when comparing athletes. It was too hard to do with 12 players, so I made most of them up with completely off the wall choices. Not enough of a selection.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Napier = Price
Boat = Gywnn (I hope he evolves into Kemba)
Calhoun = Butler (a great physical speciman with game)
Daniels = Scoe (kid who learned to play tough, and can be very very good. Scoe just didn't seize his chance, Daniels will)
Olander = Ron Hrubala (only difference is Big East vs Yankee Conference)
Evans = D. Beverly
Giffey = Nelson (always wanting a little bit more from them, kinda like some sort of tease)
Nolan = Hilton
Tolksdorf = Uri Cohen-Mintz

Gotta go with this one.

Reaction Score
that terrible "charge" call on that dunk against Gardener Webb in the 2k classic, the speed in which Dyson got down the court, the explosion on the dunk, in no way is Omar seeing Dyson on athleticism, I'm with you on this one.

I see both your points. I am backing up my theory. It's based off my logic that makes sense to me. haha. My logic has convinced me Calhoun is a better athlete. He is also only a freshman.. He may very well have highlights much more impressive than Dyson's highlights by the end of his career, and I am willing to bet he will. But we shall see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom