Comparing current players to past player | The Boneyard

Comparing current players to past player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One thing I notice I always tend to do, is, I like comparing current Uconn players to past Uconn players. Of course each player is always different and carries unique set of skills per individual but I enjoy finding similarities in the games of past Uconn players to current Uconn players. It's just fun to me. Maybe because I like to reflect on the past i don't really know. But just for fun. If you had to compare the current players to past Uconn players, who would you compare them too??
Here is my list:
Napier: Probably the toughest to compare imo but I think I would go with AJ Price for a couple reasons. They both have a lack of speed but make up for it with consistent and pure shooting ability. Also when it comes to ballhandling you couldn't ask for anyone else you'd rather have dribbling the ball. They were both good at creating space and finishing and lastly they made the whole team better with their leading presence and vision/passing skills.

Boatright: He reminds me of Kemba. They are both unbelievably quick and can get down the court soo fast. They both have a suspect shot that continued to improve as they got older but the ability to create their own shot whenever they want is always there. They had different types of confidence but nonetheless they can both lead a team with their confidence. Boatright can jump higher but he is smaller than Kemba I believe.

Calhoun= Reminds me of Dyson. Unorthodox flatfooted jumpshot that goes in. Strength and explosive athleticism but Calhoun has more of both and more size. Both good but not great handles. Both can drive to the hoop very effectively

Daniels: Rudy Gay. Both shoot well but not always consistent. Skinny tall and very athletic. Rudy was more athletic and could jump higher. Daniels might show better ball handling ability in the long run.

Just gonna with those 4 for now. What do others think?

Reaction Score
Napier = Price
Boat = Kemba
Calhoun = Rip
Daniels = Rudy
Olander = Okafor
Evans = Ed Nelson
Giffey = Caron
Nolan = Hilton
Tolksdorf = Rashad

I think those are blatantly obvious comparisons.

Reaction Score
Daniels ... Very athletic or great length ? Omar Calhoun has much better physical and mental make up than dyson. boatright is a lil like kemba but reminds of a light version of a ex Hoya

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Super tone= Dyson = Omar

Roscoe = Daniels

Lyman = Kirk king = Jeff adrien

Reaction Score
Napier = Price
Boat = Kemba
Calhoun = Rip
Daniels = Rudy
Olander = Okafor
Evans = Ed Nelson
Giffey = Caron
Nolan = Hilton
Tolksdorf = Rashad

2125911_o.gif

Reaction Score
Can't wait til Omar shows this great athleticism in a game. He bangs for boards really well at his size, just haven't seen him show that ability to jump over people that Dyson had.

I agree with a lot of these comparisons, I'd just offer Shabazz to Marcus Williams and Omar to Denham.

Reaction Score
Honestly, Napier kind of reminds me of Khalid el Amin. (El Amin being better obviously, but attitude wise. never afraid to take big shots, shooting lights out in big wins but also shooting us into losses, etc.)

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Honestly, Napier kind of reminds me of Khalid el Amin. (El Amin being better obviously, but attitude wise. never afraid to take big shots, shooting lights out in big wins but also shooting us into losses, etc.)
El-Amin shot us into losses? I remember an early-season game against Florida State his freshman year where he went about 3-18 and we lost, but other than that, I don't think so. We hardly ever lost period when he was on the team.

Reaction Score
El-Amin shot us into losses? I remember an early-season game against Florida State his freshman year where he went about 3-18 and we lost, but other than that, I don't think so. We hardly ever lost period when he was on the team.

El Amin would always lay bricks and then heat up at the end though, remind you of anyone? Like in that syracuse BE tournament game where he went like 1 for 12 and then just tore it up at the end. I know the comparison is a stretch but I see some similarities

Reaction Score
El Amin was ready to contribute from day 1. In his final (Junior) season he averaged 31.9 minutes, 16.0 points, 3.1 rebounds, 5.2 assists, 2.7 turnovers, 1.7 steals, 41.1% shooting and 89.2% from the free throw line.

This season, Shabazz averages 36.6 minutes, 17.2 points, 4.2 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 2.3 turnovers, 2.0 steals, 45% shooting and 82.6% from the free throw line.

I'd say their Junior seasons are pretty equal, with maybe a slight edge to Shabazz statistically.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Napier = Price
Boat = Kemba
Calhoun = Rip
Daniels = Rudy
Olander = Okafor
Evans = Ed Nelson
Giffey = Caron
Nolan = Hilton
Tolksdorf = Rashad

Olander = Okafor? Are you on drugs?

Reaction Score
Where does the idea that Calhoun is more explosive or more athletic than Dyson come from? Is there any evidence for this?

Reaction Score
Where does the idea that Calhoun is more explosive or more athletic than Dyson come from? Is there any evidence for this?

Yea I've been seeing that alot the past couple of weeks and I don't see it either. Dyson was faster and had way better hops, has Omar dunked once this season?

Reaction Score
Daniels = Uncle Cliffy
Napier = MW
Boatright = KW
Olander = Hayward
Calhoun = Denham
Giffey = Rash

Reaction Score
Napier - El Amin comparison is interesting in terms of their psyche's and I hadn't thought of it because their bodies are so different. Both use combo of quickness and change of speeds to max advantage given their body types. Khalid's personality on and off the court was much bigger, but in terms of imposing will on a game they are similar.

I think Daniels is much more similar to either Rudy Johnson or Denham Brown. Similar to Denham in capable of getting hot and taking over at times, but not quite quick enough to consistently create his own offense, and like Rudy in open floor.

Omar Calhoun might be a little Chris Smithy - good shooter though mainly a scorer and I think down the road might be able to run a team.

Reaction Score
Denham and Daniels both walk/run like 2x4s as someone mentioned in another thread.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Omar = j lamb without the gogo gadget arms. He's even tried a few running floaters.

Reaction Score
Bazz = Marcus Williams with a weaker supporting cast; MW basically carried us in the 2006 tournament when everyone short of Jeff Adrien stopped giving a .

Boat = Dyson with a little less size and a little better shot. Both love to get up and throw it down.

Omar = Denham Brown, but more assertive

That's about the end of my ability to make comparisons for these guys. Several of our players (e.g. Olander) would never have seen the court in our heyday, so it's hard to find a match.

Reaction Score
As for the difficult to pin Olander...how about Souleymane Wane? Similar stat lines, but one was the 8th man off the bench and the other is our starting center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom