Compare Drummond to Thabeet at same stage | The Boneyard

Compare Drummond to Thabeet at same stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not easy to compare to players, especially big guys, at the early stages of their career, but we can give it a try.

Expectations are the biggest difference. Andre was touted as a sure-fire lottery pick and a one-and-done. Hasheem was deemed a project.

Andre is a better athlete, and runs the floor better, but Thabeet wasn't bad.

Both are good shot blockers, but I give the edge to Hash by about 6 inches. AD fouls less, but he also blocks less. He's a better rebounder at the early stage.

Neither had much in the way of knowing how to play the post on offense. Drummond dissapoints only in his passiveness. I expected more, but that might be my problem, not his.

Hasheem left college too soon...

Reaction Score
I think Emeka is a better comparison for Andre than HT, especially considering that Hasheem was indeed a big project.

If we're comparing Hasheem as a junior to AD now, there is no comparison. Hasheem as a junior was about as dominant a defensive player in cbball as you'll ever see (it's great for uconn fans that they also had Emeka!). He also developed a fairly nice offensive game, even if a bit awkward looking at times. He had a nice nastiness around the basket with his dunking; and developed his hands so well that he was a really good rebounder

If we're comparing Hasheem as a freshman to AD now, I don't think there's much of a comparison. Hasheem was probably close to AD in blocking even as a freshman, due to his size alone, but AD is better at everything else at this point.

No doubt HT could've stayed, but I think he did almost everything at this level that he could've.

Reaction Score
No doubt HT could've stayed, but I think he did almost everything at this level that he could've.

It's easy to say that Thabeet should have stayed given his lack of NBA success. But the guy left Uconn as the co-Big East POY, the National Defensive POY, a member of a Final Four team, and the #2 pick in the draft. There wasn't anything else he could have done in college to help his draft position. You could argue that he would have continued to improve under Calhoun, but it's not like his NBA coaches don't know a thing or two about basketball.

Reaction Score
Not easy to compare to players, especially big guys, at the early stages of their career, but we can give it a try.

Expectations are the biggest difference. Andre was touted as a sure-fire lottery pick and a one-and-done. Hasheem was deemed a project.

Both are good shot blockers, but I give the edge to Hash by about 6 inches. AD fouls less, but he also blocks less. He's a better rebounder at the early stage.

Neither had much in the way of knowing how to play the post on offense. Drummond dissapoints only in his passiveness. I expected more, but that might be my problem, not his.

When AD gets to the league, he'll be there for good. 'Nuff said.

Reaction Score
I think Emeka is a better comparison for Andre than HT, especially considering that Hasheem was indeed a big project.

If we're comparing Hasheem as a junior to AD now, there is no comparison. Hasheem as a junior was about as dominant a defensive player in cbball as you'll ever see (it's great for uconn fans that they also had Emeka!). He also developed a fairly nice offensive game, even if a bit awkward looking at times. He had a nice nastiness around the basket with his dunking; and developed his hands so well that he was a really good rebounder

If we're comparing Hasheem as a freshman to AD now, I don't think there's much of a comparison. Hasheem was probably close to AD in blocking even as a freshman, due to his size alone, but AD is better at everything else at this point.

def a better comparison to emeka in my opinion as well... a more athletic/explosive emeka, but I doubt he'll be around as long... he won't get the chance to show how strong and refined he would be after 3 years at uconn...

sometimes you watch drummond and he looks fierce going after rebounds and dunking with his head at the rim... but he's only a freshman and I think a lot of people forget that fact... he'll have good games and bad games, but for the most part, he's been as impressive a freshman big man as we've had at uconn... hash was def a better shotblocker (he was a 1 man zone that no one dared challenge (except for dejuan blair)) but drummond has bigger offensive upside and is more athletic/explosive than any of the big men we've ever had at uconn... he looks more like a wing in terms of his explosiveness and athleticism but he's 6'10/6'11... he reminds me a lot of dwight howard if you want to make a comparison to someone he'll eventually be playing against...

Reaction Score

Drummond is clearly the better athlete and basketball player. It really isn't close.

Reaction Score
Thabeet's freshman year he spent more time on the floor than any player in our history. I don't mean "on the floor" in the figurative sense (i.e. playing time). I mean literally on the floor (toppled over, lying on the ground). If he tried an offensive move, he fell down. If he tried to block a shot, he fell down. If there was a battle for a rebound, he fell down. He needed a lot of work just to develop coordination in his 7-3 body - he improved by leaps and bounds in his three years.

Reaction Score
I think Drummond had more dunks in the past 2-3 games than HT had the entire year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom