Commit #12 - Bryant Shirreffs | The Boneyard

Commit #12 - Bryant Shirreffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Desmond Conner ‏@desmondconner 2m
N.C. State quarterback Bryant Shirreffs has decided to transfer to #UConn; will have to sit out this year but eligible to play in 2015

What a great day for UCONN commitments in MBB and Football!

Love Shirreffs' highlights and potential! I trust the coaching staff has figured out how all 4 QBs fit, but it does seem to make sense from a depth standpoint starting in 2015. Big, fast, tough, dual threat QB who makes great decisions with the ball.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Love Shirreffs' highlights and potential! I trust the coaching staff has figured out how all 4 QBs fit, but it does seem to make sense from a depth standpoint starting in 2015. Big, fast, tough, dual threat QB who makes great decisions with the ball.

Agreed. Like the old adage in baseball "you can never have too many pitchers", I feel the same away about QBs in college. I am a big fan of position competition on the roster and adding Shirreffs only adds quality to the position. If he wins the job in 2015, great. If he pushes Cochran or Boyle to their full potential in 2015, that's also great. Great size will help on the roster that only seems to be getting bigger by the day!

Dooley

Reaction Score
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...nn/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

“N.C. State is nice but when you don’t necessarily trust who you’re playing for or really don’t like believe in the system I don’t think it’s useful to stay in a place you can’t succeed,” Shirreffs told me.. “And you can try as hard as you can but if you don’t feel like you can succeed, you’re thinking about leaving, you’re not all in or fully committed to that school so that’s what I felt. I believe it wasn’t good for me or the team for me to be there.”

Shirreffs visited UConn Thursday…

“It was amazing,” he said. “I’m a Finance Major and obviously that can change but it’s a bigger school and it’s really good. And I like how the campus is kind of enclosed and 80 percent of the students stay on campus. They’re kind of forced to interact with each other and there seems to be a lot of school spirit. Everyone is really nice.”

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I really don't understand how this is a bad thing.

Matt Cassell never took a snap from Center in college. He has started 68 NFL games, has 2 10-win seasons, and just signed a new $10 million deal. Who has worked out better, Cassell or Lienert?

This kid is not a walk-on and he's not a receiver looking to return to his original position. He's a bona fide quarterback and looks to be a quality pick up at that. It's not a head scratcher in the least, it's a positive move for all involved.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I really don't understand how this is a bad thing.

Matt Cassell never took a snap from Center in college. He has started 68 NFL games, has 2 10-win seasons, and just signed a new $10 million deal. Who has worked out better, Cassell or Lienert?

This kid is not a walk-on and he's not a receiver looking to return to his original position. He's a bona fide quarterback and looks to be a quality pick up at that. It's not a head scratcher in the least, it's a positive move for all involved.

Completely agree. The depth chart needed another QB and I'd rather fill it with a scholarship QB from the ACC than a walk-on, like in previous seasons. Shirreffs could turn out to be our starter in 2015. You never know!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...nn/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

“N.C. State is nice but when you don’t necessarily trust who you’re playing for or really don’t like believe in the system I don’t think it’s useful to stay in a place you can’t succeed,” Shirreffs told me.. “And you can try as hard as you can but if you don’t feel like you can succeed, you’re thinking about leaving, you’re not all in or fully committed to that school so that’s what I felt. I believe it wasn’t good for me or the team for me to be there.”

Shirreffs visited UConn Thursday…

“It was amazing,” he said. “I’m a Finance Major and obviously that can change but it’s a bigger school and it’s really good. And I like how the campus is kind of enclosed and 80 percent of the students stay on campus. They’re kind of forced to interact with each other and there seems to be a lot of school spirit. Everyone is really nice.”
He's basically saying that UConn is a program (and a school) on the come and NC State is not so much.

cttxus

Reaction Score
Probably a dumb question but, can he start practicing with the team this summer, learn the system, etc?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Probably a dumb question but, can he start practicing with the team this summer, learn the system, etc?

As soon as he enrolls, he can practice with the team. He would likely run scout team, for example. But he would be in all of the team meetings, practices, etc. Just can't play on the field in 2014.

Reaction Score
Love the kids skill set. Diffent from the other guys. He can give diaco options. Coach d has already said he wants qbs to tuck and run when needed. He looks in great shape in the pics. Kids got some pipes. Welcome to uconn. Georgia is treating us good.

Reaction Score
Big mobile smart and hopefully accurate. Davis has a motor as well. A little more mobility with size. Reminds me of the kid from MD who ate us up kind of.

Reaction Score
A huge differences between NCST and UCONN is where the practice facilities are. Everything at UCONN is on campus and thus in walking distance. At State you have to travel several miles off campus to the State Fair grounds for football practice. Also State is spread out in downtown Raleigh. UCONN is a much better campus.

Reaction Score
He will be doing individual drills with the other quarterbacks during those portions of practice, and then during team segments he will run the scout team.

cttxus

Reaction Score
He will be doing individual drills with the other quarterbacks during those portions of practice, and then during team segments he will run the scout team.
Sean - Thanks for that update. May I ask how you know that? :)

Reaction Score
I hate to be technical, but transfers are not the same as commits. sure they eat up a scholly just the same way, but this is not our 12th commit.

Reaction Score
John Silver:

@JohnFSilver: Genesis of a QB recruit http://post original url/yK9QV9K6BD

I like this part. I thought 6:00 AM runs used to be for guys who got in trouble.

“I took a spur of the moment trip. I love it, the campus and how they are excited about getting up for a 6 a.m run in the morning. I can tell with the culture around here, don’t know what it was before, but the culture is on the rise and the players are believing in the coaches.”

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Sounds like he's a very solid pick-up! But please tell me I'm not the only one who crapped when I read the word "Wildcat" in Silver's column... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom