Comment from a Baylor - SJU game blog | The Boneyard

Comment from a Baylor - SJU game blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"It would not be reasonable to blame the referees for a 14-point loss. Baylor has more talent and more height than we do. I can accept that. To be honest, I can even accept bad officiating. I'm used to it. But I cannot abide uneven officiating. I cannot abide undercutting, hammer blows, and tripping not called on one end and ticky-tack calls made on the other. I cannot abide 20-4 free throw differentials and 16-7 foul differentials. You're going to tell me it's okay for people to get slammed with no call? And Dee Kantner let this go on, that's what shocks me the most. That, and I'll say the same thing I said after one of these debacles last year. Baylor is a very good team, currently the best in the country according to the polls. They don't need the officials' help to score. They can do it all by themselves. Don't let the way things "should" be dictate what you do."

LINK

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
*sigh*

Well, the author is obviously an SJU fan and not terribly interested in writing well, but I guess most blogs are like that. Frankly Queenie's ramblings are not even worth reading, much less fretting about.

HOWEVER, I know Dee is a pal of yours but I think you ought to recognize that either her best days as a ref are behind her or that the rep she once had was not 100% deserved. She ain't perfect and she is certainly deserving of criticism occasionally. I don't know whether she did a good or bad job in this particular game, or whether it's even fair for the author of that piece to single her out for blame for what she alleges as uneven refereeing. I think it's worth noting that other than the foul totals (which frankly surprised me) the author provided no specifics to back up her "uneven" allegation.

I'm not sure what SwishAppeal was trying to accomplish by posting that piece.

Reaction Score
Swishappeal was likely using the blog entry to make a point about bad officiating and creating some banter about the topic, bad officiating has been a topic in WCBB for quite some time, Geno himself has spoken around the topic so as to not incur back lash over it more than once, by using the blog entry Swishappeal did not have to speak to this directly on their own. Not that anything will change concerning officiating, the NCAA is not the type of organization to correct something going in the wrong direction until it hits them in the head more than a few times, but it is good to ruffle the officials feathers from time to time.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I would be curious to hear from anyone who watched the game whether you thought the officiating was uneven. There was a significant disparity in the number of fouls called and foul shots taken.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I had not horse in the race and didn't have any particular issues with the officiating of either game.

My *sigh* was directed at the vague, generalized poke at women's basketball officiating and no addressing the facts of the game and how it was played. Simple question - do you look at the number of fouls or the number of free throws? Do you see the difference between an and-one and fouling a three-point shot? Or the fact that Baylor cranked up the defense and St. John's got tired?

I know it's par for the course, but it gets old and boring and whiney -- especially when no one (as in schools and conferences) is willing to do anything about the issue: that is more money, rein in coach and player behavior.

Also, it's not like this is unique to wbball, as so many fans/writers seem imply. Yes, we are the poor step-sister when it comes to money in support of our officiating, but pay attention to any sport and you'll hear officials mocked, second guessed and dismissed as biased and incompetent. All part of the job, I know. But there's no "poor women's basketball, we get no respect" in that equation.

Oh, and to be clear, DK doesn't know me from a hole in the wall. I spoke to her once about 7 years ago.

Reaction Score
I had not horse in the race and didn't have any particular issues with the officiating of either game.

My *sigh* was directed at the vague, generalized poke at women's basketball officiating and no addressing the facts of the game and how it was played. Simple question - do you look at the number of fouls or the number of free throws? Do you see the difference between an and-one and fouling a three-point shot? Or the fact that Baylor cranked up the defense and St. John's got tired?

I know it's par for the course, but it gets old and boring and whiney -- especially when no one (as in schools and conferences) is willing to do anything about the issue: that is more money, rein in coach and player behavior.

Also, it's not like this is unique to wbball, as so many fans/writers seem imply. Yes, we are the poor step-sister when it comes to money in support of our officiating, but pay attention to any sport and you'll hear officials mocked, second guessed and dismissed as biased and incompetent. All part of the job, I know. But there's no "poor women's basketball, we get no respect" in that equation.

Oh, and to be clear, DK doesn't know me from a hole in the wall. I spoke to her once about 7 years ago.

I completely agree. One of my major pet peeves are when people seem to think that the number of free throws and fouls have to be even for the game to have been called fairly.

I remember a UMO (back when they were decent) and I believe Clemson or N.C. State game a few years ago when the opposing Clemson/N.C. coach complained about the foul shooting disparity. I was so annoyed because her team played an aggressive man to man, full court defense, while UMO played a zone. Clemson/NC shredded the zone and almost all of their shots were uncontested, yet UMO won because they pounded the ball down low and drew a lot of fouls. Clemson/NC also fouled frequently in the closing minutes and sent UMO to the line 3-4 times. All of that resulted in the foul shot disparity being something like 20-6.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I completely agree. One of my major pet peeves are when people seem to think that the number of free throws and fouls have to be even for the game to have been called fairly.
I agree but we see far too many games where the styles of play are similar and the calls seem to go in one direction. I remember Geno complaining after the Baylor game last year about the calls on Stef and Griner being treated like she never touched anyone.

Reaction Score
I agree but we see far too many games where the styles of play are similar and the calls seem to go in one direction. I remember Geno complaining after the Baylor game last year about the calls on Stef and Griner being treated like she never touched anyone.

Valid point. I don't think Griner is as a dirty player (with an extremely notable exception), but she definitely doesn't back down on the low blocks and gets quite a bit of body on some of her blocked shots. All in all I am very excited to see UCONN and Baylor play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom