Comfort Dribble | The Boneyard

Comfort Dribble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
WCBB players, with the exception of UC, all too frequently use the one-bounce "comfort" dribble under or near the basket rather than just going up and taking the shot. Why do you suppose this continues to occur? Stephanie (I think) addressed this last night during the Maryland game and this was the first time I can recall it being mentioned.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Bliss,
I may be the only one but I'm not sure what you mean by a "comfort" dribble. At or near the basket you use a power dribble similar to a head fake to get in better position to the basket or because you are anticipating contact and want to go up as strong as possible with both hands.
Like this: Watch the coach do it, these girls are just learning.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The comfort dribble is the unnecessary dribble that players use when it takes them nowhere and they are still in the same spot they were in before the dribble. Many times it allows the defense to arrive to prevent a shot. All they needed to do was go up for the shot without putting the ball on the floor.

Reaction Score
The comfort dribble is the unnecessary dribble that players use when it takes them nowhere and they are still in the same spot they were in before the dribble. Many times it allows the defense to arrive to prevent a shot. All they needed to do was go up for the shot without putting the ball on the floor.

Exactamante! A comfort dribble is unnecessary and the power dribble is necessary. I've seen Natalie make several "comfort dribbles" to get nowhere. IMO, if she would just pivot first, give a head fake and then use a power dribble, she would be more effective around the basket.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
WCBB players, with the exception of UC, all too frequently use the one-bounce "comfort" dribble under or near the basket rather than just going up and taking the shot. Why do you suppose this continues to occur? Stephanie (I think) addressed this last night during the Maryland game and this was the first time I can recall it being mentioned.

When I coached high school basketball-- both boys and girls-- it was a battle to eliminate the automatic dribble, a worse than useless unconscious and habitual reaction to receiving a pass: it got the player nowhere and often used up the dribble and left him/her vulnerable. You can see it often both in the paint and, with guards, on the perimeter. As with any habit, it's hard to break it.

Unless there's an open space to attack with a dribble, far better to look for an open shot or a pass. Only then, put the ball on the floor to create either a shot or a pass. Obviously, UConn coaches work on eliminating it because our women are guilty of it far less often than opponents. Both Gabby and Napheesa have been principal offenders, less so now than earlier in the season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Best to stay a triple threat until you decide what you are going to do, but I have no problem with a dribble to set your feet before a shot, if you are off balance or in awkward position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Got it. Papa33 pretty much has this covered in his post-it is a struggle to teach both boys and girls not to take this dribble. I resorted to suicides as in if you take 1 dribble and don't shoot the ball you ran a suicide. You did it twice the whole team ran 2.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The comfort dribble is similar to the other complaint often raised with post play - why bring the ball down to your waist prior to shooting - bringing it down to 'guard level' just exposes it to help defenders for reach ins, while keeping it high makes it much harder to defend.
And yes, dribbling on the wing is often a similar useless exercise that goes nowhere, and actually decreases the ability to make effective passes since the ball is spending half the time outside of your control.

I have heard Meghan complain about the wasted dribble by post players as well as the lowering of the ball quite often - I don't think she has ever used the term 'comfort dribble' but it is the same complaint.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Amen to all of this. I'd guess that at least some players would explain that the dribble helps them get into shooting rythym. But like everyone else here, I would not buy that.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
its not going anywhere...

lets see how often its done tonight

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Best to stay a triple threat until you decide what you are going to do, but I have no problem with a dribble to set your feet before a shot, if you are off balance or in awkward position.
You are correct. The dribble also gives you more momentum, so your leap into the air will be more powerful, and thus higher. When you are surrounded by defensive players, this will stop them from blocking your shot. The danger is: the ball, while on the bounce, may be stolen.
If no defensive player is near you, it is best to go right up with the shot. Players who take that "extra" bounce allow time for a defensive player to arrive and block that shot...this is what angers most coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom