Column on Viv Stringer. | The Boneyard

Column on Viv Stringer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CViv makes $3.5M base?

Reaction Score
I’m not much of a Stringer fan, but this does seem to be a bit of a hack job. Calling out a few players over a fifteen year period to make a point is cherry picking the data. There is no mention of other players who succeeded when given second chances and no reference to what has happened at other schools. A real journalist would have looked at those things. This more appears to be someone with an axe to grind that is looking to promote themselves.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I know a lot of UConn fans dislike Stringer, and not without some good reason, but that woman has been through hell in her personal life. She comes from a dirt poor background in PA coal mining country, raised a large family, had a husband who died in his early 40's, a child who died, and another child who's handicapped, IIRC. I believe she also had a house that burned to the ground at one point. A lot of people would have had trouble coping with everything she's been through, all the while managing to do a difficult job in which she has enjoyed much success and a Hall of Fame caliber record of total wins over a distinguished 48-year coaching career.

Yes, she likes to recruit some players with checkered backgrounds. Coming from where she came from it makes perfect sense. Her own life has been all about second chances. I think she deserves to be cut a little slack for some of her personal faults. She's an odd personality in some respects, but she's also a fighter and someone who has overcome a lot of personal tragedy. Those are character traits which deserve some degree of admiration.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know a lot of UConn fans dislike Stringer, and not without some good reason, but that woman has been through hell in her personal life. She comes from a dirt poor background in PA coal mining country, raised a large family, had a husband who died in his early 40's, a child who died, and another child who's handicapped, IIRC. I believe she also had a house that burned to the ground at one point. A lot of people would have had trouble coping with everything she's been through, all the while managing to do a difficult job in which she has enjoyed much success and a Hall of Fame caliber record of total wins over a distinguished 48-year coaching career.

Yes, she likes to recruit some players with checkered backgrounds. Coming from where she came from it makes perfect sense. Her own life has been all about second chances. I think she deserves to be cut a little slack for some of her personal faults. She's an odd personality in some respects, but she's also a fighter and someone who has overcome a lot of personal tragedy. Those are character traits which deserve some degree of admiration.
One point you left out. Geno thinks the world of her.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I like, and admire, C. Vivian Stringer. She really is one of the original pioneers from the early days of modern WBB. She was the coach of Cheyney State in the first WBB game I ever watched on TV. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but it does sort of bother me when people say negative things about her.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
1550655979587.png

Reaction Score
This article shines a poor light on what is clearly a soft spot for Stringer with relation to her program. How many D1 football and men’s programs have had a few bad apples turn up even after being given multiple chances? I would speculate quite a few.

CVS hasn’t been Pat or Geno successful but she’s had a good career. Clearly she’s on the down hill slope of it but that doesn’t change her success. She was a pioneer during a time where there were virtually no other minority coaches and had success each place she went. Yes some of her interviews and commentary seem a little odd. I felt she milked the Imus situation a little too long and I’ve seen her emotions get the best of her a few times. Still, she’s a good coach who has clearly been doing something right all these years and is a true leader in the game.

Reaction Score
This article shines a poor light on what is clearly a soft spot for Stringer with relation to her program. How many D1 football and men’s programs have had a few bad apples turn up even after being given multiple chances? I would speculate quite a few.

CVS hasn’t been Pat or Geno successful but she’s had a good career. Clearly she’s on the down hill slope of it but that doesn’t change her success. She was a pioneer during a time where there were virtually no other minority coaches and had success each place she went. Yes some of her interviews and commentary seem a little odd. I felt she milked the Imus situation a little too long and I’ve seen her emotions get the best of her a few times. Still, she’s a good coach who has clearly been doing something right all these years and is a true leader in the game.
Obviously your's and mine are just OPINION. However, the Imus comment insulted all Women Basketball players in the country. If C Viv keeps it going forever, I wouldn't mind. There is a lesson to be learned here. These young kids play their hearts out, work hard, work long--they deserve praise not the crap Imus heaped upon them.
I'm not a C viv fan nor an RU fan. Attending many games (against Geno) in that hole (I actually liked the setting) I'm more than a bit disgusted by the demeanor and words of the RU fans--without C viv says a word against it. CD and Geno if the same happened at Storrs --would speak out.

Reaction Score

Your first paragraph: You apparently would be surprised If you found that many in Connecticut were that poor, faced starvation, had that back ground, lost a child (you never lose that pain or grief) and still lived successful lives. Often it is that fighting to rise above that drives one to be successful in their field.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I remember the Imus broadcast and thought at the time “ oh boy he will regret this”.
I miss Imus and his insane and oft times sarcastic humor. I don’t think his humor would play in this snowflake and PC world but I still miss his show.

Edit to delete some of my post that others would not deem appropriate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One point you left out. Geno thinks the world of her.

Wow! I'd be surprised (beyond a politically correct quote) how deep such regard might go.

Maybe they patched it up but, I'll never forgive her for the serious innuendo (toward Geno) that she let stand after a really ugly situation after some game here (I don't even recall any of the specifics - just the bad taste in my mouth).

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. That article seems to excuse Don Imus for his racist comments against Stringer's players by saying that Coach Stringer recruited in her many decades as a basketball coach three players who had troubled backgrounds. Putting those two arguments together is simply wrong.

As others have written here, Coach Stringer has been through a great deal in her life. Yet she has succeeded as one of the finest coaches of all time. Does she give some players a second chance? A third chance? Perhaps that's because she understands them. Perhaps that's because she empathizes with young black women who've had it tough before as well. And to pick out three players in fifteen years, or three players in- how many decades has she been coaching? That's not right.

And the claim that Stringer is no better, or perhaps worse, than the average basketball coach is just not true. Coach Stringer sits near the top of all-time wins by any women's basketball coach anywhere in this country. And if one looks as the WNBA, or the international women's basketball leagues, her players stand as some of the best of all time.

Coach Stringer has been a fine coach for decades. Coach Stringer is one of a very few black women pioneers in college coaching. And she remains one of a small handful of black coaches in this game.

I'm sorry, but that article was unfair, inaccurate, and wrong.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wow! I'd be surprised (beyond a politically correct quote) how deep such regard might go.

Maybe they patched it up but, I'll never forgive her for the serious innuendo (toward Geno) that she let stand after a really ugly situation after some game here (I don't even recall any of the specifics - just the bad taste in my mouth).
Nevertheless, anytime Geno and C Viv are together, their interaction starts off with a big hug. While their competition against each other was fierce at times, they share a deep-seeded respect for each other like two old soldiers who’ve come up the hard way and succeeded against all odds.

Reaction Score
Nevertheless, anytime Geno and C Viv are together, their interaction starts off with a big hug. While their competition against each other was fierce at times, they share a deep-seeded respect for each other like two old soldiers who’ve come up the hard way and succeeded against all odds.

And Stringer's Rutgers teams fought Coach Geno to a standstill for years. Her teams were among the toughest to defeat of all time. Her teams weren't much on the offensive end, but they played some of the most tenacious defense of any team in the country.

Yes, they could be a bit nasty, and they were rough on the court. But they were also very, very good. And she recruited many amazing players.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Its true though....
It is a hack job by a "journalist" who specializes in slanted, and uninformed reporting. If you go to search at the upper right of this Bone Yard page and type in Mushnick, you will find several years of bitter complaints from the BY about his credibility. This article is biased opinion and closely bordering on racist propaganda. The first amendment gives us the right to free speech, but it also gives us the right to ignore hate speech and misinformation. There may well be certain things he mentions that are factual, but he couches them in the worst possible light, and ignores the very good things C Viv has done. She has helped so many young women grow into better players and people. In that regard her record is not perfect, and she took some chances on kids who did not live up to her hopes for them. But how many more kids have left her programs and done well? Disadvantaged kids do not always rise above their innate problems, but none will if we do not give them the chance. C Viv tries to do just that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And Stringer's Rutgers teams fought Coach Geno to a standstill for years. Her teams were among the toughest to defeat of all time. Her teams weren't much on the offensive end, but they played some of the most tenacious defense of any team in the country.
Yes ... almost right! Rutgers record against Uconn under her watch - 34 loses and six wins. So few the lsit is pretty easy:
1 in 1998 (1-2 record in1997-8)
1 in 2005 (1-2 record in 2004-5)
2 in 2006 (2-0 record in 2005-6)
1 in 2007 (1-2 in 2006-7)
1 in 2008 (1-2 in 2007-8)

While most of us remaining these fierce battles 'every year' the actual competitive window was 2004-2008, the rest of the 15 years Rutgers lost all the time.

NB. This is not dissimilar to the ND 'rivalry'. ND had a little success in 2001, and then basically nothing until 2011-13, and then nothing until this past year - overall record only slightly better at 12-35.

Reaction Score

I remember like it was yesterday., my husband always told me I had a memory like an elephant. I don’t really know if elephants have any kind of memory. , It was about a UConn player shooting free throws. The mouth that roared was Matee Angivon.

Reaction Score
Yes ... almost right! Rutgers record against Uconn under her watch - 34 loses and six wins. So few the lsit is pretty easy:
1 in 1998 (1-2 record in1997-8)
1 in 2005 (1-2 record in 2004-5)
2 in 2006 (2-0 record in 2005-6)
1 in 2007 (1-2 in 2006-7)
1 in 2008 (1-2 in 2007-8)

While most of us remaining these fierce battles 'every year' the actual competitive window was 2004-2008, the rest of the 15 years Rutgers lost all the time.

NB. This is not dissimilar to the ND 'rivalry'. ND had a little success in 2001, and then basically nothing until 2011-13, and then nothing until this past year - overall record only slightly better at 12-35.

but, unlike most of their games, UConn always knew going into a game with Rutgers that it was going to be hard work. though the record is certainly not good, how many other teams have 6 wins against UConn?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom