Colorado State's big investment in athletics over the past decade produces mixed results (Coloradoan - open access) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Colorado State's big investment in athletics over the past decade produces mixed results (Coloradoan - open access)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To be clear - My position has less to do with the AAC (make no mistake I do believe going independent in football was a terrible idea, just so we could chase glory days in an old conference that doesn’t look anything like it used to).

My issue is the commitment to football. There is none. We pay staff peanuts. The focus should always be on football first and foremost. That’s the path to getting a P5 invite. And we aren’t doing that. More $$$$ should be invested in football and if that means taking away from other programs (including men’s and women’s basketball) then that is what needs to be done.

I am also under no illusion (especially after DB committed to Edsall for what appears to be another two years) that the AD or Administration has any intention of increasing resource allocation to the football program.
UConn doesn't have any more money $$$$ to invest in football. Money doesn't grow on trees and it shouldn't be the responsibility of the Connecticut tax payers or UConn students to fund the football program.

In the Big East, UConn basketball recruiting will improve (as we have already seen the benefit) and UConn will return to being a national program.

UConn is (was) never going to be a top program on a national level in football. Going independent allows UConn to construct schedules where we'll have a chance to win a few games every year and see some teams that people want to see.

Returning to the Big East in Hoops and going independent in football was the correct move, both fiscally and competitively.

Reaction Score
Why is going independent a terrible idea? You people keep saying this and never give a reason why. The AAC sucks. We can't recruit in this league. We are not competitive in this league. The fans don't care about any of the teams and the TV contract was peanuts. Why do we HAVE to stay in that league to be good at football? With our first independent schedule I see 2 things 1. Some chances to actually win games and 2. games that are more interesting than any AAC team we play.

You completely discredit yourself when you say we are chasing glory days in an old conference that doesn't look anything like it used to. You miss the irony of writing this while at the same time advocating to remain in a league that has NEVER looked like anything we are used to. And the sheer ignorance. We are not chasing anything. The Big East is a top 3 basketball league with 9 teams currently in the top 60 and 2 national titles in the last 4 years. We have recruits picking us specifically citing the Big East.

Of course you give the real reason away in your post. You still think there's a chance of a POWER 5 invite coming. That reveals how insane the pro AAC brigade is.
The AAC is not the be all, end all. The question is whether joining to the Faux BE was the smart path over the long term. We blame our incompetence on a conference that evolved into something pretty darn good on the gridiron. The smart folks understand history and the fact that at its prime as a national basketball power it made no difference. We fawn over the orange ball because it make us feel good, but it has no impact on major conference membership. We all want UConn to be successful. I hope independence works out because football is all that matters for real. NBE is much better for basketball, but then what.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are way too concerned about how other people may be viewing you (you in this case being UConn Athletics). Frankly, I could care less how some AAC or ACC or B1G forum poster views UConn. I will enjoy the UConn games and leave it at that.... Well, I'll enjoy them a lot more when the Huskies are winning at least half of them.

Reaction Score
Of course you give the real reason away in your post. You still think there's a chance of a POWER 5 invite coming. That reveals how insane the pro AAC brigade is.
What's even more insane is how our own fans keep saying a P5 invite will never come when we behave like a P5 school and P5 schools generally treat us as a P5 school.

Oh, the hopelessness.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are way too concerned about how other people may be viewing you (you in this case being UConn Athletics). Frankly, I could care less how some AAC or ACC or B1G forum poster views UConn. I will enjoy the UConn games and leave it at that.... Well, I'll enjoy them a lot more when the Huskies are winning at least half of them.
Ironically, the ACC and Big Ten fans here view us very favorably. But we're never joining the P5. Those ACC and Big Ten fans better stop hanging around here.

Reaction Score
What's even more insane is how our own fans keep saying a P5 invite will never come when we behave like a P5 school and P5 schools generally treat us as a P5 school.

Oh, the hopelessness.

So when's the next P5 invite coming? When's it scheduled to land? Which league is expanding next? Which school is next in line? And how is UConn best positioned to land it with its current AAC performance?

Go ahead AAC fans. Start answering some of these questions instead of using the same canned talking points you always fall back on (IE. Faux Big East, football drive the bus, etc)

The only expansion on the horizon is when the whole thing blows up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ironically, the ACC and Big Ten fans here view us very favorably. But we're never joining the P5. Those ACC and Big Ten fans better stop hanging around here.

Well that solves it. The 3 ACC-Big 10 fans who visit view us favorably. P5 here we come.

Reaction Score
The AAC is not the be all, end all. The question is whether joining to the Faux BE was the smart path over the long term. We blame our incompetence on a conference that evolved into something pretty darn good on the gridiron. The smart folks understand history and the fact that at its prime as a national basketball power it made no difference. We fawn over the orange ball because it make us feel good, but it has no impact on major conference membership. We all want UConn to be successful. I hope independence works out because football is all that matters for real. NBE is much better for basketball, but then what.

"NBE is much better for basketball, but then what."

Could care less. It's better for the sport we actually can win championships in. As for football, Show me you can beat UMass, Middle Tennessee, Liberty, Old Dominion. Than it will be better for football. Because losing by 4 TD's to Tulane and SMU certainly isn't.

Reaction Score
So when's the next P5 invite coming? When's it scheduled to land? Which league is expanding next? Which school is next in line? And how is UConn best positioned to land it with its current AAC performance?

Go ahead AAC fans. Start answering some of these questions instead of using the same canned talking points you always fall back on (IE. Faux Big East, football drive the bus, etc)

The only expansion on the horizon is when the whole thing blows up.
When did I say I am pro-AAC? Speaking of insanity...

Reaction Score
Well that solves it. The 3 ACC-Big 10 fans who visit view us favorably. P5 here we come.
Do you see any trying to say we're hopeless? Only our fans say that, of course. Keep up your incessant whining.

One moment, we're doomed, next, being independent and a member of the Big East is so great, with the potential of pulling off a BYU-like schedule with no chanpionship in football to show (besides an unclaimed one from 1924) but we still have no hope again. Anyone who mentions the P5 is pro-AAC.

Make up your mind.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have any more money $$$$ to invest in football. Money doesn't grow on trees and it shouldn't be the responsibility of the Connecticut tax payers or UConn students to fund the football program.

In the Big East, UConn basketball recruiting will improve (as we have already seen the benefit) and UConn will return to being a national program.

UConn is (was) never going to be a top program on a national level in football. Going independent allows UConn to construct schedules where we'll have a chance to win a few games every year and see some teams that people want to see.

Returning to the Big East in Hoops and going independent in football was the correct move, both fiscally and competitively.
If recruiting was a problem for basketball, then how did Memphis get the number 1 rated recruiting class? How did Houston and Cincinnati get good recruits? Let's be honest the AAC wasn't a issue with our recruiting in mens basketball. It was all Ollie.

Reaction Score
If recruiting was a problem for basketball, then how did Memphis get the number 1 rated recruiting class? How did Houston and Cincinnati get good recruits? Let's be honest the AAC wasn't a issue with our recruiting in mens basketball. It was all Ollie.
Actually, for UConn, recruiting to the AAC was an issue for UConn. UConn was not a fit for the AAC. it’s really that simple.

Reaction Score
Thinking the move to the NBE and Independence in football was unwise does not make people AAC supporters.

Speaking for myself, I think financial resources are being allocated to the wrong sport - specifically coaching salaries.

Football should be the focal point, not basketball. But I agree, that ship has sailed because the AD and Administration made it very clear what sport they prioritized. And again, it is a horrendously short sighted move. But one I’ve come to expect.

Reaction Score

It's hard to have a conversation with anyone who believes this. You have recent commits and recruits literally naming the Big East as a reason why they considered UConn but yeah it has nothing to do with it.

Guess you missed the recent news on Memphis and Wiseman if you need an answer a to how they got the #1 recruiting class. Spoiler ($$$$)

Reaction Score
Thinking the move to the NBE and Independence in football was unwise does not make people AAC supporters.

Speaking for myself, I think financial resources are being allocated to the wrong sport - specifically coaching salaries.

Football should be the focal point, not basketball. But I agree, that ship has sailed because the AD and Administration made it very clear what sport they prioritized. And again, it is a horrendously short sighted move. But one I’ve come to expect.

Yes. We should prioritize football. The sport where Oklahoma, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc can barely compete with what LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama are putting on the field. All to hopefully get a bid to the Gasparilla Bowl.

Reaction Score
No P5 conference is taking us. That ship sailed in 2012. Independence at least gives us interesting football match ups. Basketball improved. More money in the bank.
Think as you please. No one even said conference expansion is over.

Reaction Score

Why is it short sighted? UConn Would of kept football in the AAC if the league allowed us to put our other sports in the the Big East. Maybe it was the AAC that was short sighted. The AAC doesn’t work as an all sports conference for UConn. The league doesn’t make enough money to support all the athletics each school offers. UConn, surprisingly, made a fiscally responsible decision that was right for UConn.

Reaction Score
Think as you please. No one even said conference expansion is over.

Even if we believe the same madness you do, how would UConn be an attractive candidate with a terrible AAC football team and a mediocre to bad AAC men's basketball team? Wouldn't it be better to be a 6-7 win football independent and a championship level basketball program?

Reaction Score
Even if we believe the same madness you do, how would UConn be an attractive candidate with a terrible AAC football team and a mediocre to bad AAC men's basketball team? Wouldn't it be better to be a 6-7 win independent and a championship level basketball program?
Market? Call it madness all you want. Jim Calhoun even saw basic things here you still can't see.

Reaction Score
Market? Call it madness all you want. Jim Calhoun even saw basic things here you still can't see.

Market the current status quo of UConn AAC football and men's basketball? That's your solution to getting this mythical P5 invite you think is happening?

The more the remain brigade gets pointed questions the more they flounder.

Of course the correct answer is (that you ducked with a random non relevant Calhoun quote) is we wouldn't be invited if an invite is coming unless we dramatically improve football AND men's hoop. Pretty obvious the BE/Indie route is more likely to improve both situations as Remain AAC would.

Reaction Score
Market the current status quo of UConn AAC football and men's basketball? That's your solution to getting this mythical P5 invite you think is happening?

The more the remain brigade gets pointed questions the more they flounder.

Of course the correct answer is (that you ducked with a random non relevant Calhoun quote) is we wouldn't be invited if an invite is coming unless we dramatically improve football AND men's hoop. Pretty obvious the BE/Indie route is more likely to improve both situations as Remain AAC would.

again, where do you get the remain brigade from? The only choice was jump to a non football conference and go independent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom