Colorado Job | The Boneyard

Colorado Job

Reaction Score
From what I see Colorado wants to do what UConn did. Prefer not to hire a coach they have to wait for.

Reaction Score
If we don’t make a bowl he’s free to start at CU after Army.

It’s a possibility.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I don't like the second part of that if statement.

Reaction Score
The article just speculates on Mora. He might not even be a candidate.

Yup… here’s the text;

-> Colorado

Initial candidates list (worth a click)

What's changed: Colorado is well into its search and has been having initial conversations with candidates for several weeks. Sources say there is a good chance Colorado wraps its search first if it hires someone not currently coaching or who can accept the job while finishing out the season elsewhere (very tough to do). Who might that person be? Mendenhall has generated buzz as a strong candidate at CU. Other than the Virginia stint, he has spent almost all of his life and career in the Mountain time zone, and he would bring instant credibility to the program. Mendenhall played and coached at Oregon State and regularly faced Pac-12 teams while at BYU. Herman also is a name to watch, as he has ties to the two states (California and Texas) that Colorado must recruit.

Several coaches having strong seasons should factor into the search. Illinois defensive coordinator Ryan Walters, a former team captain at Colorado, has led the nation's stingiest unit this season. Would Colorado consider a former Pac-12 coach such as Jim Mora, who has done wonders during his first season at UConn, going 5-5? An emerging off-the-radar possibility could be Sacramento State coach Troy Taylor, whose team is 8-0 this season. Taylor, a standout quarterback at Cal, was a graduate assistant at Colorado in 1995. <-

As someone pointed out, Colorado could have hire Mora in 2020 and didn’t.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yup… here’s the text;

-> Colorado

Initial candidates list (worth a click)

What's changed: Colorado is well into its search and has been having initial conversations with candidates for several weeks. Sources say there is a good chance Colorado wraps its search first if it hires someone not currently coaching or who can accept the job while finishing out the season elsewhere (very tough to do). Who might that person be? Mendenhall has generated buzz as a strong candidate at CU. Other than the Virginia stint, he has spent almost all of his life and career in the Mountain time zone, and he would bring instant credibility to the program. Mendenhall played and coached at Oregon State and regularly faced Pac-12 teams while at BYU. Herman also is a name to watch, as he has ties to the two states (California and Texas) that Colorado must recruit.

Several coaches having strong seasons should factor into the search. Illinois defensive coordinator Ryan Walters, a former team captain at Colorado, has led the nation's stingiest unit this season. Would Colorado consider a former Pac-12 coach such as Jim Mora, who has done wonders during his first season at UConn, going 5-5? An emerging off-the-radar possibility could be Sacramento State coach Troy Taylor, whose team is 8-0 this season. Taylor, a standout quarterback at Cal, was a graduate assistant at Colorado in 1995. <-

As someone pointed out, Colorado could have hire Mora in 2020 and didn’t.
I had forgotten about Herman. It's amazing how fast you can go from "the next big thing" to forgotten.

He has talent...Texas is a tough place...I would take a chance on him.

Reaction Score
I had forgotten about Herman. It's amazing how fast you can go from "the next big thing" to forgotten.

He has talent...Texas is a tough place...I would take a chance on him.
I think Herman would have succeeded anywhere else. Texas just has WAY to high of expectations to wait for Herman to build the program to his offense. Fortunately at Houston, he had the players already to see success relatively quickly. But taking over after Charlie Strong, a completely different minded coach, he was pretty much doomed to fail.

Reaction Score
What we're going to have to deal with is the fact that Mora is a guy with lots of friends in the media. Whether he's a legit candidate anywhere or not, he's gonna have guys pumping his tires in the press as a favor. We're already seeing that after our games with tweets from guys like Stewart Mandel saying he's a COY front runner. Mandel and Mora are buddies. My sense is that we'll hear rumors and they'll get him a good raise here, but he won't go anywhere.

Reaction Score
What we're going to have to deal with is the fact that Mora is a guy with lots of friends in the media. Whether he's a legit candidate anywhere or not, he's gonna have guys pumping his tires in the press as a favor. We're already seeing that after our games with tweets from guys like Stewart Mandel saying he's a COY front runner. Mandel and Mora are buddies. My sense is that we'll hear rumors and they'll get him a good raise here, but he won't go anywhere.
You make a good point. I think we also get a lot more attention on the program because of his connections to the sports media from his time as an analyst. So you're most likely right about getting a raise, but this also helps promote the program which will do nothing but help with recruiting and future TV deals if we don't get into a P5 conference in the next few years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Unless he regrets coming, I don't see him jumping for a bottom tier P5 job after a single season. He supposedly came here to be closer to family who are NYC based. He also stated that he wasn't looking to get back on the coaching ladder. Things can change, but it doesn't appear he is not enjoying himself.

Then again, Rule #1

Reaction Score
How the sports world has changed. Growing up in the 40s and 50s most teams had the same roster every season no matter the sport. Can't imagine the Celtics keeping their team together today. Bird would command $$$$$. Now the transfer portal. Small teams poached of their best player, and large schools losing there depth. Coaches jumping, like the game of checkers, after a successful season or two. Fans are left with increased BP, and students, alumni, states and Univ. are left to pay the freight. Interesting time indeed. Good luck JM. Hope you stay, but if not, thanks for the memories!

Reaction Score
I used to love Colorado in the 90s under Coach Bill McCartney. However, he built the program by recruiting troubled kids, and being religious, thinking he could turn them around. Some he did, some he didn't. Then he retired to focus on his Christian outreach organization and the program went into the crapper where it's stayed ever since. Great school and beautiful campus, but leaving the Big 12 for the Pac 12 and ending the Nebraska and Oklahoma rivalries was the final nail in the program's coffin. Colorado is not a destination school, it's a temporary stop to a bigger, better job. I don't think Mora needs that at his age.

Reaction Score
As UConn continues its rebirth under HCJM I wouldn’t discount any rumor about any potential job. As for Colorado, one factor to consider is that Mora‘s youngest son Trey is a freshman at Boulder. My grandson is the President of SAE fraternity there and Trey is a new member. Now couple that with the lifestyle desires of Jim’s new wife—and who knows. Lashlee’s wife wasn’t enamored with New England living. Perhaps Mora’s isn’t fond of ghosts. This will be a fingers crossed era for all Husky fans.

Reaction Score
I mentioned CU in another thread. On the plus side he is 61. Maybe he doesn't want to move. I hope he stays but I can't see the Huskies putting up the same kind of $$$ as CU.

Reaction Score
FWIW, Split Zone Duo discussed the Colorado job at length and made no mention of Mora. It sounded like Herman is their front-runner, and that they've conducted in person interviews this week. As for Arizona State, they've retained their AD who has been a disaster, so it's not a very desirable job. Stanford is the only remaining job that could open up and would probably elicit some interest, but Stanford may be one of the more challenging P5 jobs at this juncture--impossible to get portal guys there, admissions standards, no NIL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom