Collier wins WNBA ROY Award! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Collier wins WNBA ROY Award!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2002 was a long time ago, but Sue Bird had a very nice rookie season that was definitely ROY-worthy. Why did she not win the award? Tamika Catchings also had a very good season, and she was considered a rookie because she sat out all of her first season (2001) with a leg injury.

Sue in 2002: 32 games, 32 starts, 35 minutes per game. 3-point percentage of .401. FT percentage of .911. 6.0 assists per game and 14.4 points per game. In most years, that gets her the ROY award.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
2002 was a long time ago, but Sue Bird had a very nice rookie season that was definitely ROY-worthy. Why did she not win the award? Tamika Catchings also had a very good season, and she was considered a rookie because she sat out all of her first season (2001) with a leg injury.

Sue in 2002: 32 games, 32 starts, 35 minutes per game. 3-point percentage of .401. FT percentage of .911. 6.0 assists per game and 14.4 points per game. In most years, that gets her the ROY award.

TIMING is everything in sports. Look at the number of great professional basketball players that DID NOT win an NBA championship because they played in the Micheal Jordan or Magic Johnson/Larry Bird era. Timing IS everything. Same in football. The Patriots are greedy. If they can sustain the play we've seen in the first two weeks, and Antonio Brown doesn't get more than an 8 game suspension (if any), and they can avoid injury to the core players, the Patriots are a good bet to win ring #7 in this year's superbowl. If Brady can get that 7th ring, you can add that to the list of records that will NEVER be broken, because someone would have to win 8 to break it.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
To be fair, there is one area of her game that needs work. The Lynx love Collier’s poise on the court, her will, her ability to not let difficult times get to her. Now they would like to see her work on her trash talking. A few weeks back in a game against Indiana, Fever guard Betnijah Laney was yapping at Collier, who didn’t respond. Laney kept at it until Collier finally just turned, smiled and gave Laney the thumbs up. The Lynx coaches and players still laugh about it.

Maybe that’s just Phee. Confident but quiet.

Asked about this a while back, Collier smiled. “I definitely need to work on that,” she said. “Because I can’t think of a reply quick enough. That’s my problem, so I just get stuck. I don’t know what to say.”

Reaction Score
Congratulations Napheesa! so proud of what you've accomplished. You did it your way with style and grace.

Carnac

Reaction Score
To be fair, there is one area of her game that needs work. The Lynx love Collier’s poise on the court, her will, her ability to not let difficult times get to her. Now they would like to see her work on her trash talking. A few weeks back in a game against Indiana, Fever guard Betnijah Laney was yapping at Collier, who didn’t respond. Laney kept at it until Collier finally just turned, smiled and gave Laney the thumbs up. The Lynx coaches and players still laugh about it.

Maybe that’s just Phee. Confident but quiet.

Asked about this a while back, Collier smiled. “I definitely need to work on that,” she said. “Because I can’t think of a reply quick enough. That’s my problem, so I just get stuck. I don’t know what to say.”

There are lots of ways to counter trash talk, which as I recall never put any points on the board or won any games. ACTION always speaks louder than words. I will admit a bit of irony to getting “served” while being told about it at the same time. A good/great player does not have to trash talk.

What do you do/say when the opponent you trash talked the whole game has a career game against you and their team blows yours out? :eek:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
way back, when we were first getting to learn about napheesa -- during speculation before freshman year and during it -- i referred to her as "our Catch," partly because of her uniform number. but that was strongly reinforced by her reputation and demonstrable play: her amazing "nose for the ball," tirelessness, determination, unselfishness, knack for being in the right place, quiet determination to win, and more. of course, she was a pale imitation of Catch defensively, but i felt there were similarities in their games/makeup. and pheesa had plenty of time to refine her skills.

turns out she was not our catch in college, but she did and does share many of Catch's virtues (and a few accomplishments too). it will be interesting see if she can come anywhere near Catch in the long run.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
TIMING is everything in sports. Look at the number of great professional basketball players that DID NOT win an NBA championship because they played in the Micheal Jordan or Magic Johnson/Larry Bird era. Timing IS everything. Same in football. The Patriots are greedy. If they can sustain the play we've seen in the first two weeks, and Antonio Brown doesn't get more than an 8 game suspension (if any), and they can avoid injury to the core players, the Patriots are a good bet to win ring #7 in this year's superbowl. If Brady can get that 7th ring, you can add that to the list of records that will NEVER be broken. ;)
Exactly! How did Rudy T., Olajuwon, and the Rockets win 2 NBA Championships? Jordan was playing baseball.

Reaction Score
Phee has come a looong way...

since she was a new freshman on campus and was flustered because someone stole her scooter.

And so have we as none of us could agree on how to pronounce her name; EVERYBODY knows now.

What a powerful, humble, and beautiful young woman she has become.

If only I was 92 years younger and still single... :(

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is just the beginning. I think she can be MVP, and if Coach/GM Reeve plays her cards right, can be a WNBA champion. She will definitely be a multiple Olympic gold medalist.

This has been such an incredible class of players. I look forward to many years of rivalry among Napheesa and Jess, Arike and Gustafson, big T, Lou, Jackie Young, Durr, Turner, Marina and Kalani, Hiedeman, Cunningham. . . That's quite a list of very talented players.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Collier on her well deserved honor. She's very talented and was put in a situation in Minnesota where there were many holes to fill and she received the playing time and coaching to help make her successful. Additionally, she comes across very likable and articulate. I hope she has many quality years in the league.

Reaction Score
It's just like when Gabby was a freshman and forgot to bring one of her shoes to a game. Everyone has freshman stories. I wonder if her scooter was ever recovered.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Tell me Pheesa did not work out her outfit to be well coordinated with the WNBA backdrop.

Carnac

Reaction Score
ROY gets $5,000 per the CBA.

Thanks psconn. I knew there had to be an additional monetary stipend attached to winning that award, I just didn’t know what it was. :)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Poor proofreading!!! Your local women's basketball star wins the WNBA ROY and your local newspaper prints an article about it but includes a picture of Augustus instead of Collier's. That's St. Louis.

Reaction Score
Imagine if the Aces had picked her 1st. They’d be unstoppable in the post.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thanks psconn. I knew there had to be an additional monetary stipend attached to winning that award, I just didn’t know what it was. :)
She also gets money for playing in the All Star game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The other shoe finally dropped. THIS is the announcement we’ve been waiting for. As Maine fan said, they got it right!!

Very happy for Pheesa. All of her hard work, preparation and relentless hustle paid off, and was recognized by the league. Is there a clause in their contracts that stipulates that if they win the ROY award, or selected to the all star team or all league, if they receive an additional monetary award from the league?

Congratulations Napheesa Collier on winning the WNBA’s rookie of the year award. Recognition that is well deserved. Does anyone know if she has signed with a foreign league team yet?

Today is going to be a good day. :)
Working on signing a team in China league. Collier in Courant article I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom