Collier replacing injured Wilson in All-Star Game | The Boneyard

Collier replacing injured Wilson in All-Star Game

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is it possible that Orangutan is the real Carnac? :rolleyes:

No, the "real" Carnac has transitioned. I'm just a poor man's version of the seer. Orangutan was just quicker on the keyboard than I was. I checked to see if anyone had posted it, no one had. Before I could post it, he did a back door cut, drove the lane for a basket +1, then pressed enter before I did. I'll get him next time. He "scooped" me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, congrats to Collier. What a wonderful experience this will be for her. Playing in the WNBA All-star game her rookie year. This game should be the first of many for her. As good as she's playing now, she'll be even better in the years to come. Like Some of her other fans, I’ve been following her daily since the season began. No doubt she'll have lots of family and a few friends in attendance to support her.

Who doesn't like to visit Las Vegas? My wife and I were there for the first week of the NBA Summer League. We enjoyed every day we were there. Had some of the best BBQ I’ve ever had. We attended the Aces/Sky game that week. My son and his daughter worked the entire 11 days of the tournament. We had a ball. I hope she plays well. :)

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Congrats to her - that's a terrific addition, however...

Error corrected. Her omission off the team in the first place was mind boggling. It's unfortunate it took an injury to another all-star to get her where she deserved to be in the first place.

...I don't see how it was mind-boggling that she wasn't picked for the first-team. Per ESPN (which weeds out players who have only played a few games), she is not in the top 30 in scoring, she's 21st in rebounds, 24th in FG%, and 16th in blocks. She only leads her own team in one category - steals. I think she's a terrific player, and I definitely think she should be the frontrunner for ROY, but I am struggling to see how she should be a first team player when her stats are not even close to the top 10 in any category but steals.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Like Sue serving as the ambassador when Seattle hosted the WNBA All Star game, I imagine Aja will have that honor / responsibility

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm really glad to hear this. Sorry A'ja won't be able to play, but I'll enjoy watching Napheesa.

It appears that new commissioner Engelbert named her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those interested, the WNBA team selection show is on ESPN2 at 9:30 which leads into the 10PM game between the ACES / Storm in Vegas.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
They had the picks done live face to face. Got to admit, Aja Wilson is a weird girl. EDD kept giving Aja a chance to pick Aces players like Cambage but Aja kept picking others (for a while)

EDD picked up Kia

EDD picked up the rook Naphessa Collier (with 3 players left on the board)

Trades.

EDD asked to trade coaches. Agreed

but then EDD asks to trade Collier for Tina Charles (allowing Pheesa and Fowles on the same team)

Sims was last off the board.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
They had the picks done live face to face. Got to admit, Aja Wilson is a weird girl. EDD kept giving Aja a chance to pick Aces players like Cambage but Aja kept picking others (for a while)
Interesting that EDD seemed to think the captains should prioritize keeping teammates together (and coaches with their teams). A'ja seemed to feel like that was no big deal. All-star games, after all, are all about mixing and matching.

Reaction Score
It was just one pick. A’ja took McBride and Cambage w/ her 2nd and 3rd picks.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It was just one pick. A’ja took McBride and Cambage w/ her 2nd and 3rd picks.

Yes. You are right. But maybe with EDD pushing hard that she should do that??

Just struck me as funny.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Is this the fewest UConn Grads in an WNBA All-Star Game?

Reaction Score
Or maybe AJa knew that after taking Griner ED would not take Cambage and used the opportunity to get the PG and then the SG she wanted. ED probably figured she would take Cambage with her second pick and got thrown for a loop when she picked Gray.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I am struggling to see how she should be a first team player when her stats are not even close to the top 10 in any category but steals.

It has been a long time since any sport's all-star team was about being the best players. It is about who is the most marketable, best liked, best to promote the sport, etc.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is this the fewest UConn Grads in an WNBA All-Star Game?
No.

According to Wikipedia:
In 1999 (inaugural year of the ASG), Lobo was the only UConn player.
In 2000 and 2001, Sales was the only one.
2002 and 2003: Bird and Sales both years.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
No.

According to Wikipedia:
In 1999 (inaugural year of the ASG), Lobo was the only UConn player.
In 2000 and 2001, Sales was the only one.
2002 and 2003: Bird and Sales both years.
Thanks for the info. On the positive side, I wonder if UConn is the only school to always have at least one All-Star playing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Besides Kia and Pheesa playing in the game,

UConn in the WNBA: Two Former Huskies Will Compete In All-Star Friday Night

Former UConn star Kia Nurse will compete in the three-point challenge. Nurse is shooting nearly 37 percent from beyond the arc this season and has made a three-pointer in all but three games. She will compete against reigning back-to-back champion Allie Quigley (Chicago Sky) and four other guards.

Minnesota Lynx rookie and former Husky Napheesa Collier will compete in the skills challenge. Collier will compete against four other All-Stars including Lynx teammate Odyssey Sims, as well as two additional forwards from the league.

Go get em huskies.

Also at the end, Dolson playing her best BB of the year.

Stefanie Dolson Leads Chicago Sky to Fourth Straight Victory

The Chicago Sky secured their fourth straight win, at home over the Indiana Fever on Sunday to head into the All-Star break at 5th in the WNBA standings. With Sunday’s game being arguably the toughest opponent of that four game streak, former Husky Stefanie Dolson came up big for the Sky.

Dolson scored a season high 19 points, and tied her season high with 9 rebounds in the victory. Dolson also added 3 blocks and 2 steals. She shot 67 percent from the floor, and was efficient from the free throw line to finish with 1.58 points per scoring attempt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom