Collier Olympics | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Collier Olympics

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Steward ended up playing the four or five when either Wilson or Griner were out. Against Japan she played 34 plus minutes and was totally gassed by the end of the game. Neither Fowles or Charles played very much. Depending who was on the court the issue in respect was who played the 3 on defense. Often DT was put watching the 3 on defense because they generally are slower. They also did a lot of switching because of Japans speed. I suspect much of the lineup was as dictated by defense as anything else. This is why the Steward played less three against Japan.
Not accurate. Stewart played almost all of her team-leading minutes at the wing. She never played the 5 and perhaps played a few minutes at the 4. Tina Charles played 9 fewer minutes than Gray.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Even in her limited minutes in Tokyo, she wasn’t the calm, metered player that we expect her to be. Like @Hayven said, she was playing at a much faster pace than we’re used to seeing. And because of that, her game didn’t manifest the way it needed to in order to get more PT.

I suspect it was nerves. Stewie and Sims looked extremely nervous in their limited minutes at the 2014 World Cup in Istanbul. The same was true of Plum and Clarendon in Tenerife in 2018. I imagine the Olympics carry even more pressure than a World Cup event. I thought Diggins-Smith, Atkins and Collier looked nervous in their limited minutes. Still, the experience is so valuable. Stewie had a few tough minutes in Istanbul but it helped prepare her for Rio:

"Being around those guys, being at practice, seeing how people work and how they prepare, that is something that is going to help her a lot," Auriemma said. "She knows now that if I want to make the Olympic team [in 2016] that I need to make some strides and that is good for her."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Collier is still one of the best players around. I'm not gonna say she's going downhill, nor that the coaches messed up, based on a few minutes in a few games. Napheesa is a sponge. She may not have played, but she watched. A lot. And she learned.

She's taking the winter off from playing, and I guarantee she and Alex will be applying everything she learned at the Olympics, and she'll be even better next year.

Reaction Score
I would think EDD will be ready for the World Championships and Olympics and I see her making the team over Napheesa. Is Napheesa more suited for the 3 x 3 team which she did play during the pre-Olylmpic tournaments?

I wouldn't mind see a 3 x 3 team with Sabrina, Napheesa, Kelsey Plum and Steph Dolson. KLS is a possibility for the 3 x 3 team, but is she quick enough and play enough defense and who would she replace on my suggested team.
If you watched the 3 X 3 qualifying rounds, it was Lou’s defense that shown, partly do to her length. Plum is the one who is a liability on defense. Europeans ran circles around her but her scoring was a plus. Pheesa needs the right environment to excel and she found that in Minnesota. I am not surprised it didn’t translate to Olympic team. I was shocked when she made the team. And I love her.

Reaction Score
If you watched the 3 X 3 qualifying rounds, it was Lou’s defense that shown, partly do to her length. Plum is the one who is a liability on defense. Europeans ran circles around her but her scoring was a plus. Pheesa needs the right environment to excel and she found that in Minnesota. I am not surprised it didn’t translate to Olympic team. I was shocked when she made the team. And I love her.
To be honest, had Angel and EDD been healthy Collier, and Atkins aren't on the team. That would have given the team a lot more offense, and Angel would have been a pest on defense like she was for Geno.
You could have subed Fowles, Charles, EDD, Angel and Loyd or Gray and lost nothing.

Reaction Score
Collier remains underrated even on the Boneyard. I would have liked to have seen her get as much playing time in the Olympics as Tara gave Rebecca Lobo but so be it. Glad we won the gold, the games were a lot closer than a lot of us thought it would be. Hopefully we come out stronger in 2024.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just don’t see that Phee was given a real opportunity to shine. I never saw her get sufficient minutes with Sue and Diana in the exhibition games. No chance given in the olympics.
I first heard this from my 7th grade teacher - RHIP.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I guess I’ll just have to agree to disagree. Yes, great to be named to the team. But My take remains that we all know what these players are capable of, barring injury or an off night. I just don’t see that Phee was given a real opportunity to shine. I never saw her get sufficient minutes with Sue and Diana in the exhibition games. No chance given in the olympics.
You assume she wasn't given a chance. I am sure she was given many, many chances to outshine those in front of her in practice. Apparently, the coaching staff did not feel the same way. You can't assume she wasn't given any chances unless she was there. You win your playing time in practice.

It also could be the possibility that she wasn't playing her best with the US team. Doesn't mean she's not a great player... it just means she wasn't performing where she needed to be with the USA team. Look at her performance during the WNBA game - 10 minutes, 2 points on 1-5 shooting and 4 rebounds. A solid performance, but doesn't give me anyone reason to see why she should get playing time ahead of those in front of her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To be honest, had Angel and EDD been healthy Collier, and Atkins aren't on the team. That would have given the team a lot more offense, and Angel would have been a pest on defense like she was for Geno.
You could have subed Fowles, Charles, EDD, Angel and Loyd or Gray and lost nothing.
I am fine with the EDD love but Angel by 2020 was not the player Pheesa was in 2020/2021 (overall 2nd team WNBA). The fact that Pheesa for whatever reason did not play in the exhibitions at that level could not be forcasted.

Reaction Score
some posters are not understanding collier could have been lights out in practice, she was and is behind stewart. collier is working her way to my all-time favorite, but she just is not top-3 in the world level player like stewart.

and with that being said, that's why she didn't play much, if at all.

Reaction Score
You assume she wasn't given a chance. I am sure she was given many, many chances to outshine those in front of her in practice. Apparently, the coaching staff did not feel the same way. You can't assume she wasn't given any chances unless she was there. You win your playing time in practice.

It also could be the possibility that she wasn't playing her best with the US team. Doesn't mean she's not a great player... it just means she wasn't performing where she needed to be with the USA team. Look at her performance during the WNBA game - 10 minutes, 2 points on 1-5 shooting and 4 rebounds. A solid performance, but doesn't give me anyone reason to see why she should get playing time ahead of those in front of her.
I assume nothing. I may know even less. Just giving my opinion based on the limited universe of what I see. Stewie played the 3 on the Olympic team, so I can see Phee being buried behind her if the coach wanted to play 2 of the bigs with Stewie. But I still see no reason they couldn’t play together for stretches. In any event, it’s academic now so back to the WNBA season.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure the coaching staff knew what they were doing. They saw these ladies in practice and understood the match-ups that were coming and how to put players in places that would help Team USA. Sure there are always "coulda, woulda, shoulda" moments but in the end, Team USA got the Gold and that is all that should matter. On the plus side, now that there is an opening for Team USA coach, maybe one of you fine, excellent X & O coaches, knowing all of the game angles, folks should apply for the hot seat.
Seems like a long way from a few fans bellyaching over why their favorite player hardly played in her first Olympics, to saying (somewhat mean spiritedly imo) that they should then apply for the coaching position. It is my understanding that this forum exists specifically for UConn fans (and others) to discuss, celebrate, argue, debate, complain, and exult about their beloved Huskies. Why the snarky comment about something that occurs daily, perhaps hourly on every sports forum that has ever existed? Those sorts of discussions/comments are the very raison d’etre for a sports forums existence. Not trying to offend you or anything, just a bit perplexed about why you are so offended over some UConn fans stating their opinions regarding the playing time of one of their favorite Huskies? Sure, we won the gold, but that doesn’t mean everything was perfect! I think, for example, that the makeup of the team should have included less post players and more backcourt players, less old guard and more of the younger players who could have gotten valuable experience for future Olympics. I think we would still have won the gold and would have a better, more experienced team for next time. Does this mean I think I should be on the Olympic committee?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Skylar didn't get enough minutes to get into any rhythm.
That's the deal with these teams, everyone is coming in as a starter with little if any experience coming in off the bench. And if you aren't starting, it's up to you to find a way to get in a rhythm in a hurry and contribute. Else you are back on the bench and someone else gets a shot. This is the real world.

Reaction Score
again, what i said above applied to diggins or atkins or whoever else didn't get a lot of PT... it doesn't matter if skylar was practicing great - staley wasn't going to, didn't have to, didn't want to find time to play her.

some posters are not understanding collier could have been lights out in practice, she was and is behind stewart. collier is working her way to my all-time favorite, but she just is not top-3 in the world level player like stewart.

and with that being said, that's why she didn't play much, if at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom