College Sports Madness Top 44 countdown | Page 2 | The Boneyard

College Sports Madness Top 44 countdown

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah, Sneizek is a good floor general but seems like she was considered an offensive liability by some while she was at Stanford due to lack of scoring. Is she somehow going to be a better player at Notre Dame than she was at Stanford, while not playing for well over a year?

Reaction Score
That is interesting. I know RPI gets a lot of criticism. That's a huge difference for Little Rock between RPI and Massey.
As well it should get a lot of criticism. A team like LR can end up with an undeserved rating using their RPI of 61. The RPI makes no discernment between a 40 pt blowout loss and an overtime loss. If a team hits on the right combination of opposing teams the RPI can either raise or lower a team drastically. A team playing no very low ranked teams and a few very high ranked teams ( in which they get blown out ) will end up with an inflated RPI. A team that beats a 200 rated team in overtime gets a higher ranking than a team that blows out a 201 ranked team by 40. Or a team that loses to the a 5th ranked team by 70 is given the same score as a team that loses to that same team in over time.

When people say that if teams want a higher-ranked RPI they should play better teams, that does not always apply. I mean a cupcake is a cupcake. What is the difference between beating a higher or lower ranked cupcake? None! They are both sure wins. What should matter is not the level of cupcakes a team plays but the number of teams they play that actually have a realistic shot at beating them. I mean the RPI was created to give a better value to a team's won-loss record for the uninformed. It is a simplistic system that has been given entirely too much value by lazy people who want to take the easy way out. I should have been dumped years ago. The men did.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As well it should get a lot of criticism. A team like LR can end up with an undeserved rating using their RPI of 61. The RPI makes no discernment between a 40 pt blowout loss and an overtime loss. If a team hits on the right combination of opposing teams the RPI can either raise or lower a team drastically. A team playing no very low ranked teams and a few very high ranked teams ( in which they get blown out ) will end up with an inflated RPI. A team that beats a 200 rated team in overtime gets a higher ranking than a team that blows out a 201 ranked team by 40. Or a team that loses to the a 5th ranked team by 70 is given the same score as a team that loses to that same team in over time.

When people say that if teams want a higher-ranked RPI they should play better teams, that does not always apply. I mean a cupcake is a cupcake. What is the difference between beating a higher or lower ranked cupcake? None! They are both sure wins. What should matter is not the level of cupcakes a team plays but the number of teams they play that actually have a realistic shot at beating them. I mean the RPI was created to give a better value to a team's won-loss record for the uninformed. It is a simplistic system that has been given entirely too much value by lazy people who want to take the easy way out. I should have been dumped years ago. The men did.
The jury is very much out on whether the men's basketball "NCAA Evaluation Tool" constituted an improvement over the RPI.

Meanwhile, the women's game may be using the NET in 2020-21.

"The committee also conducted its annual summer assessment of the Ratings Percentage Index system, noting that the RPI will remain the sole provider of supplemental data for the evaluation of teams for at-large selection and seeding of the 2020 championship bracket. The committee also will take the next steps toward the possible use of NET for the start of the 2020-21 season. Steps include the analysis of women’s basketball statistical data over multiple years to build a women’s basketball algorithm that includes game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin and net efficiency (offensive efficiency minus defensive efficiency).​

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom