College Sports Changing As NCAA Loosens Rules | The Boneyard

College Sports Changing As NCAA Loosens Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some quotes from Warde Manuel here:

"As for the impact it will have on us, in terms of what the final outcome is and what the changes will be, I see us in the position, as UConn, to be able to adjust and maintain the level of where we are."

"They're saying, 'We have more resources so we want to be able to use those resources and not be limited by members of Division I voting against something because they don't have the resources to do it.' That's the premise," Manuel said. "I don't necessarily see a problem with that, with the exception of how will it affect the landscape. On the student welfare pieces of it, I agree with it. The question is, how does it affect the landscape of sports? The issues that need to be vetted about are issues that go away from student welfare, issues on our individual campuses and within conferences. In general, I support looking at the ability of conferences to have more flexibility in the use of resources."

UConn is now a member of the American Athletic Conference, which falls outside of the so-called "power conferences." It's unclear how rule changes will impact the American and its members, but Manuel said he is confident his department will adjust and remain healthy. Coming off NCAA titles in men's and women's basketball, UConn's fundraising efforts are in full swing and the athletic department should benefit.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-ncaa-challenges-0427-20140426,0,1710719.story

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Also of note, we now know where Manuel stands in the whole unionization debate...

"
Manuel has no opinion of how the Northwestern case will play out. But he can't bring himself to consider student-athletes employees of the school.

"Having been a student-athlete myself and working with student-athletes at several different campuses, I do not see them as employees at all," Manuel said. "Regardless of what decisions are made, I won't refer to them as employees."

Reaction Score
Would have liked WM to be more definitive and say "UConn will be competing at the highest level and giving our student athletes every resource available to them under the potential new rules."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Platitudes are for simpletons - the canned responses make me crazy even if I understand why they're used most of the time. I'm glad he didn't stick to a script.

I think we actually learned something - he doesn't know what the new rules will entail and he seems wary that some of these changes are weapons in disguise.

Remember - a couple of days ago, the P5 wanted to put UConn under a bubble with Central, Sacred Heart and Marist.

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel:
UConn is now a member of the American Athletic Conference.

Notice how he didn't simply say we are a member. Or a charter member. Or a forever member. He said we are "now" a member.
I guess it all comes down to (paraphrasing Bubba) what the meaning of the word "now" is. It could mean "we used to be" (I once was lost but now I'm found) or "we're not here for long" (I'm in New York now but heading for Chicago).
If it's the former-- not good. But if the latter---cue the conspiracy kitty!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We'll, if Upstater is right and non-P5 Ad's are in the dark on this thing, it's possible that Warde really doesn't know what is going down or how it will affect us, yet. On the other hand, I REALLY hope Warde has the contacts so that even if he is not permitted to be a part of the conversation, he has a clear inside track to what is going on.

Reaction Score
We'll, if Upstater is right and non-P5 Ad's are in the dark on this thing, it's possible that Warde really doesn't know what is going down or how it will affect us, yet. On the other hand, I REALLY hope Warde has the contacts so that even if he is not permitted to be a part of the conversation, he has a clear inside track to what is going on.

What Warde said coincides with what I heard yesterday morning. He thinks he can live with what he's heard so far but there may be some stuff coming down the pike that he doesn't like. It makes you think, who are the designers of all of this? I mean, the "actionable" stuff was rolled out in the media and then pushed back. Why didn't the pushback happen behind closed doors?

Reaction Score
We may reach a day, sooner than later, where an antitrust lawsuit is the most valuable weapon we have.

I agree with this. I have no idea if it is a viable legal strategy, but I have to believe UCONN and others are exploring it.

An outright invite is preferable, but when and if that option is exhausted, I expect legal action. I don't see UCONN allowing their athletic programs to be permanently relegated to a second tier without a fight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think that the NCAA can arbitrarily decide which of its members are allowed to play at the highest level while others are not. Note that this is different from laying out the criteria and allowing the schools to decide whether or not they'll participate, the methodology the NCAA used in the past. It's also different the P5 going out on own and setting the rules to globally apply to its members. If UConn is left on the outside looking in litigation may end up being its only recourse. Hopefully that will be resolved by allowing member institutions to follow the new P5 rules while trusting to economics to screen out the weak.

Reaction Score
Here's another article from today's Providence Journal on realignment:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...onferences-consolidate-power-in-new-rules.ece
Interesting quote from that piece which seems to sum up a lot of our feelings...

“This is a big deal,” said Thorr Bjorn, the University of Rhode Island athletic director who sits on the NCAA’s Legislative Council. “Much more communication needs to take place with the power conferences to see what their priorities are. Everyone is a bit leery right now.”​

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Interesting quote from that piece which seems to sum up a lot of our feelings...

“This is a big deal,” said Thorr Bjorn, the University of Rhode Island athletic director who sits on the NCAA’s Legislative Council. “Much more communication needs to take place with the power conferences to see what their priorities are. Everyone is a bit leery right now.”​
Heh, it's pretty obvious what their priorities are - exclusion and control of revenue.

Reaction Score
Notice how he didn't simply say we are a member. Or a charter member. Or a forever member. He said we are "now" a member.
I guess it all comes down to (paraphrasing Bubba) what the meaning of the word "now" is. It could mean "we used to be" (I once was lost but now I'm found) or "we're not here for long" (I'm in New York now but heading for Chicago).
If it's the former-- not good. But if the latter---cue the conspiracy kitty!

Paul Doyle wrote that, and he wasn't quoting Warde.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with this. I have no idea if it is a viable legal strategy, but I have to believe UCONN and others are exploring it.

An outright invite is preferable, but when and if that option is exhausted, I expect legal action. I don't see UCONN allowing their athletic programs to be permanently relegated to a second tier without a fight.

The threat of such a suit from BYU, UConn, Cinci and others is enough. Nobody needs to file it. As I have said from the beginning, the P5 can't possibly split off until they have at least 16 x 5 schools in the fold. It may need to be more than that. The political ramifications of schools like UConn, UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado State, Cinci, Houston, USF and UCF being left out are extreme. A whole lot of Congressmen would be dealing with many unhappy constituents.

I think it is more likely that the new tier will set spending and other guidelines as we've seen proposed, and any school that meets them will be in, so some further realignment will be necessary. Whether that means UConn gets an invite or a new sixth league emerges, I don't know.

Reaction Score
The threat of such a suit from BYU, UConn, Cinci and others is enough. Nobody needs to file it. As I have said from the beginning, the P5 can't possibly split off until they have at least 16 x 5 schools in the fold. It may need to be more than that. The political ramifications of schools like UConn, UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado State, Cinci, Houston, USF and UCF being left out are extreme. A whole lot of Congressmen would be dealing with many unhappy constituents.

I think it is more likely that the new tier will set spending and other guidelines as we've seen proposed, and any school that meets them will be in, so some further realignment will be necessary. Whether that means UConn gets an invite or a new sixth league emerges, I don't know.

You don't need to create a barricade. You can simply starve these schools of funds until they cry No Mas ala Temple.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You don't need to create a barricade. You can simply starve these schools of funds until they cry No Mas ala Temple.

Indeed, but in doing that you lose a measure of control over who starves and who does not. If the new upper tier and the new D1A or whatever play in the same basketball and non-football tournaments, then schools like Temple may accept relegation. Rice might, and many others. But schools like UConn, Cinci and BYU won't and so the new upper tier will have to accommodate them. That's the nature of the approach they are taking. The schools that choose to invest and meet the criteria will be in.

Reaction Score
Indeed, but in doing that you lose a measure of control over who starves and who does not. If the new upper tier and the new D1A or whatever play in the same basketball and non-football tournaments, then schools like Temple may accept relegation. Rice might, and many others. But schools like UConn, Cinci and BYU won't and so the new upper tier will have to accommodate them. That's the nature of the approach they are taking. The schools that choose to invest and meet the criteria will be in.

It can't continue in that fashion forever. Even the best G5s will throw in the towel after 10 or so years.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It can't continue in that fashion forever. Even the best G5s will throw in the towel after 10 or so years.

I don't think they will need to. If those schools can't get invites, there will be a new conference for them. It will become the P6, and revenues will increase (merger of AAC and MWC top programs most likely). That conference will need to get a fair shot at the football playoff as well. From an antitrust perspective the P5 cannot prevent this and neither can the NCAA. They won't want that sixth conference to emerge, so they will appease the schools that need appeasement. That is why I think the P5 have to go to at least 16 each, if not more.

Reaction Score
I don't think that the NCAA can arbitrarily decide which of its members are allowed to play at the highest level while others are not. Note that this is different from laying out the criteria and allowing the schools to decide whether or not they'll participate, the methodology the NCAA used in the past. It's also different the P5 going out on own and setting the rules to globally apply to its members. If UConn is left on the outside looking in litigation may end up being its only recourse. Hopefully that will be resolved by allowing member institutions to follow the new P5 rules while trusting to economics to screen out the weak.

Well put. They can't just pick and choose who gets a seat, or they'd be prime target for a lawsuit. The only way to do it is by setting certain standards they know the undesirables can't meet and letting those thresholds flush out the weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom