OT: - College & Professional Athletes Nicknames | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: College & Professional Athletes Nicknames

Reaction Score
As no one has replied to my submission of "RoMoLoKat", here we go........

Growing up in Branford, CT, a New Haven suburb, I was a NY Giant fan. Their 1963 defensive front four consisted of Andy RObustelli, Dick MOdzelewski, John LOvetere, and Jim KATcavage, hence RoMoLoKat.

Lovetere had joined the Giants earlier that summer, having been traded by the Rams to the Giants for Rosey Grier. Nice trade.........NY.

I was 15 years old then, a diehard Giant fan (because my Dad was....................surprise!) Not anymore. By 1972 I had embraced the Patriots while at UConn, and then in 1974 while a graduate student in Boston...................case closed!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Growing up in Branford, CT, a New Haven suburb, I was a NY Giant fan. Their 1963 defensive front four consisted of Andy RObustelli, Dick MOdzelewski, John LOvetere, and Jim KATcavage, hence RoMoLoKat.

Lovetere had joined the Giants earlier that summer, having been traded by the Rams to the Giants for Rosey Grier. Nice trade.........NY.

I was 15 years old then, a diehard Giant fan (because my Dad was....................surprise!) Not anymore. By 1972 I had embraced the Patriots while at UConn, and then in 1974 while a graduate student in Boston...................case closed!
I recall the original 4, but not Lo.

I was a Giants fan from about age 10 to late-20s. After a few years in Philly for grad school, I became an Eagles fan when they got Dick Vermeil and became respectable. I’ve been in DC for 35 years, but can’t overlook the ownership to be a Redskins/Commanders fan.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stretch McCovey

Marvin Tire Iron Barnes

I think everyone missed Magic Johnson—too easy. What’s his first name?

Coach K

Boog Powell

George Iceman Gervin

Pat Riles Riley
Milford, anyone over 50 that does not know ALL of these needs to turn in their sports fan card, and go back to watching daytime soap operas. These are easy ones.

Reaction Score

Wow! I was a hiuge Giant fan as well, but had forgotten about the moniker RoMoLoKat. HOFer Andy Robustelli was from Stamford originally. He and a partner named Ed Somethingorother owned a sporting goods store in Stamford for years surprisingly named Ed and Andy's.

Robustelli played at Arnold College in Bridgeport which became the Education school at the University of Bridgeport sometime in the 50s I believe. Andy was drafted by the Rams and later traded to the Giants in the mid 50s. Andy's son (or maybe his nephew, never remember which) Rick was the starting QB at UCONN in the 70s.

I don't recall Katcavage being traded for Rosey Grier because I thought they played together on the same DL in the late 50s. I thought I remembered Grier being traded for Del Shoftner, Y.A. Title's favorite target.

In high school and summers while in college I worked at a sporting goods store in Norwalk. One summer day shortly after he was acquired by the Giants, Lovetere came into the store to look at hand guns. What a huge guy when your standing 2-3 feet away from him. I wondered how he ever fit through the door. Of course those guys all pale in comparison to the size of today's defensive linemen.

Reaction Score
The Bus
Prime time or just prime
Andre Bad Moon Rison
TO
The Juice
Boom and TJ

Reaction Score
Catfish = James Augustus Hunter
Big Country = Brian Reeves
Chocolate Thunder = Darryl Dawkins
The Big Unit = Randy Johnson.

Reaction Score
Harry "The Hat" Breechen (not sure last spelled correctly).
How about "Doctor Strangeglove"
or "The Whip" ?
Doctor Strangeglove has got to be an all time classic nickname!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford, anyone over 50 that does not know ALL of these needs to turn in their sports fan card, and go back to watching daytime soap operas. These are easy ones.

I didn't say they are tough. ;) I wasn't sure how well known Tire Iron was. It's not a complimentary name.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wow! I was a hiuge Giant fan as well, but had forgotten about the moniker RoMoLoKat. HOFer Andy Robustelli was from Stamford originally. He and a partner named Ed Somethingorother owned a sporting goods store in Stamford for years surprisingly named Ed and Andy's.

Robustelli played at Arnold College in Bridgeport which became the Education school at the University of Bridgeport sometime in the 50s I believe. Andy was drafted by the Rams and later traded to the Giants in the mid 50s. Andy's son (or maybe his nephew, never remember which) Rick was the starting QB at UCONN in the 70s.

I don't recall Katcavage being traded for Rosey Grier because I thought they played together on the same DL in the late 50s. I thought I remembered Grier being traded for Del Shoftner, Y.A. Title's favorite target.

In high school and summers while in college I worked at a sporting goods store in Norwalk. One summer day shortly after he was acquired by the Giants, Lovetere came into the store to look at hand guns. What a huge guy when your standing 2-3 feet away from him. I wondered how he ever fit through the door. Of course those guys all pale in comparison to the size of today's defensive linemen.

My high school football coach (also a Yale Freshman coach for basketball and football at various times) was Vito DeVito. Vito went to college with Robustelli and was a lifetime friend. Vito was a victim of Covid. RIP, Coach!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Someone asked Magic Johnson's first name - Earvin.

A number of my coworkers met him during the time he started up Magic Johnson theatres, in partnership with the company I worked for. I audited the ones in Atlanta, DC area, Cleveland and Harlem. Great effort on his part, although not terribly successful. Other than branding and the locations (serving a disadvantaged area) they operated like any other of my company's locations. This was in the '90's.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

It was Lovetere who was traded for Grier.

Reaction Score
It was Lovetere who was traded for Grier.
Thanks. I realized after I posted that I had misread your post. I thought you wrote that Katcavage was traded for Grier but clearly that is not what you wrote.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Famous football players for Huxley University:

Chico
Harpo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads