College football must innovate as FBS attendance dips for sixth straight year to lowest since 1996 | The Boneyard

College football must innovate as FBS attendance dips for sixth straight year to lowest since 1996

Reaction Score
Nothing groundbreaking but a decent overview/review w/ no easy answers:

Reaction Score
Get used to it. Kids and others would rather look at their electronics than go and do something. Not judging, just an observation.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
First - the stadium needs a massive upgrade to its wifi and cell coverage. People want to upload and download buckets of data during games scoreboard watching and goofing on social media.

Next, this wont really turn the tide, but I would like to see a mega dose of live in game highlights from other games all around FBS shown on the jumbo tron during TV time outs. Celebrate college football everywhere with more than a basic out of town score board. For teams in a conference the obvious choice would be to show other conference mates and how they are faring with clips. For independents like us I would like to see what other teams on our schedule are doing. I know this would eat into their promo time which they sell to Mo's and other local companies. I'm just looking for a simple way to further integrate the opponents on the schedule with the fans, plus I love watching anything on that screen, especially highlights.

Yeah, this is a silly idea - not something that will really impact the turnstile.

Reaction Score
First - the stadium needs a massive upgrade to its wifi and cell coverage. People want to upload and download buckets of data during games scoreboard watching and goofing on social media.

Next, this wont really turn the tide, but I would like to see a mega dose of live in game highlights from other games all around FBS shown on the jumbo tron during TV time outs. Celebrate college football everywhere with more than a basic out of town score board. For teams in a conference the obvious choice would be to show other conference mates and how they are faring with clips. For independents like us I would like to see what other teams on our schedule are doing. I know this would eat into their promo time which they sell to Mo's and other local companies. I'm just looking for a simple way to further integrate the opponents on the schedule with the fans, plus I love watching anything on that screen, especially highlights.

Yeah, this is a silly idea - not something that will really impact the turnstile.

Then integrate the two, these highlights brought to you by...

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
The game needs to move faster, fewer delays, cheaper food, better sound systems to stay engaged (the sound at home is much better than in the stadium - re: on-field action). Tickets need to be cheap. Timing of games - thurs night is tough for people with jobs. And don’t play a game at the same time as the pats - both at home. The antiquated things like the “kiss cam” and throwing uncomfortable, ugly t shirts into the crowd just don’t work anymore.

stadiums should have more “boxes” so a group of friends can go, with comfortable chairs and good views, get a box, have1$ pitchers or other deals, etc.should make it more like Watching the game at a bar with your buddies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just not worth the time and money for most games. Who at UNCheat wants to see BCU, Fruit vs. Wake, Rutgers vs. anyone in B10. AAC was/is good league but can't say could care about any of the rivals there (not that I'm a big fan of independence type scheduling with no league).
I have a pretty cheap HDTV and I'm amazed at how clear the picture is and the refreshments are pretty cheap and no parking fees.
Can even get an LSU tickets for most games (not the best seats but still).

Reaction Score
There’s nothing that replaces being in a full 40,000 person, loud stadium watching a close, hard-fought game. Unfortunately there have been very few of those at UConn in the past ten years.
Another thing, the games are too long. All the TV timeouts and 5 minute “instant” video repays and all the other things that stop the clock turn one hour of game time into 3+ hours. I can video a game at home and fast forward over the commercials.

Reaction Score
Having better cell service or Wi-Fi to update on social media would be a huge improvement. We all like to show our family and friends what a good time were having and who are not attending with us when were at a game.

Reaction Score
This is where not having a commissioner of college football hurts. Everything through committee which waters stuff down. Too many competing ideas etc. college football will have a hard time innovating as a result Hell. They can even settle on the root cause. Lots of theories but no real data to support

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is where not having a commissioner of college football hurts. Everything through committee which waters stuff down. Too many competing ideas etc. college football will have a hard time innovating as a result Hell. They can even settle on the root cause. Lots of theories but no real data to support

The root cause? The current generation of youth is not as passionate about sports viewing for dozens of reasons...

Reaction Score
The sports’ TV ratings are as good as ever.

The stadium experience just can’t compete with the comfort of home for many,

make stadiums smaller, provide high-quality wi-Fi, sell beer

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
For BB & FB, they can start by showing me some G.d. replays. As a fan it's too hard to see everything going on. If you want me to come to games, give me replays like I would have at home on my couch. I went to the Memphis game, my only BB game this year, and was constantly frustrated not to be able to see replays.
They can drop the concession prices too. I don't eat or drink inside Rentschler due to the prices. I've even turned down folks who wanted to buy me a drink because I didn't want them spending $10 on a beer for me.

Reaction Score

should have added; DROP TICKET PRICES

Reaction Score
The root cause? The current generation of youth is not as passionate about sports viewing for dozens of reasons...
That’s true and to the extent they are interested it is for individuals not teams. People care more about how many passes Roger Rabbit completes rather than whether The Fighting Hares win the game. Or how many points JT Sugardaddy scores against the NJ Dental College Fighting Dental Floss Is more important than whether the Fighting Floss defeat The Tooth Decayers.

Reaction Score
I think the football playoff has hurt the interest in much of the football season. It used to be winning the conference championship and going to a good bowl was something 15-20 schools could aspire to. Now, you can know after one game if you have a chance fo make the playoff. Who could have imagined we would be in a spot where the Rose Bowl, the Orange Bowl, or the Sugar Bowl could be essentially meaningless bowls on the level of the Liberty Bowl, or Music City Bowl.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Stadium sizes indeed need to be reduced. Nowadays, Every game is available on TV or covered via a streaming service. Even when ESPN Gameplan was introduced, it only made about 25 more out of market games available (no control on which), over and above what Big Ten games (typically Mich, OSU, or PSU) were aired on ABC or SEC on CBS.

If you wanted to watch a college game, you had to physically go.

Reaction Score
I think the football playoff has hurt the interest in much of the football season. It used to be winning the conference championship and going to a good bowl was something 15-20 schools could aspire to. Now, you can know after one game if you have a chance fo make the playoff. Who could have imagined we would be in a spot where the Rose Bowl, the Orange Bowl, or the Sugar Bowl could be essentially meaningless bowls on the level of the Liberty Bowl, or Music City Bowl.

There is absolutely no proof that interest has wained.

there’s only proof that interest in attending live sporting events - across the board, by the way - has wained.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no proof that interest has wained.

there’s only proof that interest in attending live sporting events - across the board, by the way - has wained.

attendance is down at the games. That seems to indicate that interest has waned.

Reaction Score
Interest is at an all time high....more people are watching on TV than ever...the second most watched sport.

Viewing method is just shifting. From a stadium experience to watching on TV...

It, for me, is just part of a continuum.

When I first went to college football games, that was the only way to see them...in the stadium. Or you could listen to the game on the radio... relatively few games were televised in the 70's.

Then along came ABC and ESPN and I could watch football on the newest large screen TV...all 25 inches of it.

Folks aren't going back...change happens for reasons.

Convenience....no traffic or parking hassles, no booster payment, ticket prices, hotel room rates doubled for a football weekend with a 2 night minimum. And time saved.

Not a bad viewing experience on today's TV's...

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
so FBS attendance is at a 24 year low but all is well because ratings are up.
The argument is not that all is well. The argument is that interest has not waned.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I haven't researched this at all, but my own anecdotal experience is that interest in college football is not growing, but declining when you look at people under age 40. Instead, those that are into the sport are consuming far more of it than in the past thanks to ubiquitous fall coverage. I know I consume a ton more college football than 15-25 years ago. However I feel like very few people around me watch more..if anything it seems less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom