College Football’s Financial Woes (Bloomberg) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

College Football’s Financial Woes (Bloomberg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe, but we're almost there already with games on espn news and CBS sportsnet.

Ideally the conference splits it's games across multiple platforms and makes the most money it can.

The article about Randy's salary was very sobering. We are in a tremendous financial bind right now. I know it's P5 or bust, but in the mean time the AD needs to survive.

If the next "TV" deal raised the payout by 50 percent from 2 to 3 million, that really does nothing. They have to explore the idea of added revenue via streaming their content.

How is our attendance? NMSU isn't streaming the games they are making them completely unavailable.

They can explore it don't see how anyone would pay more than cable but it's worth a shot. You've got to produce the games - that is a huge startup cost.

Reaction Score
How many times are you going to watch Michigan pummel Rutgers?

As many times as possible. If I lived in Jersey I'd never miss a RU vs Mich or RU vs tOSU.

It's getting close to "new scandal" time at Rutgers. I wonder what's next.

Reaction Score
How is our attendance? NMSU isn't streaming the games they are making them completely unavailable.

They can explore it don't see how anyone would pay more than cable but it's worth a shot. You've got to produce the games - that is a huge startup cost.
I think our attendance tanked because we lose and we are extremely boring and conservative. Trips to the DMV are more exhilarating.

NMSU is New Mexico State? Not following along what they have to do with anything, last I knew they got kicked out the Sun Belt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think our attendance tanked because we lose and we are extremely boring and conservative. Trips to the DMV are more exhilarating.

NMSU is New Mexico State? Not following along what they have to do with anything, last I knew they got kicked out the Sun Belt.

You didn't read the article that generated my comment about suicide. It's about NMSU.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I think it has more to do with the UConn alumni base being smaller % of the state population vs most others. The state has a 200 year history of private universities dominating higher ed (either within state or private ed in adjacent states), particularly when compared to southern and western states where the large state schools have been king for longer.

Reaction Score
This is it right here. They need to go back to regional conferences. The average fan and even more committed fan wants to watch their team play rivals they know and teams they know. They wanna be able to go to away games without needing to fly half way across the country. They want to recognize the school they are playing. The P5 ruined this and will pay in the long run through what they did with CR.

also it's beneficial to have a regional conference because then it's plausible to drive to away games and create a traveling fan base (like we used to see at Big East games at The Rent - Thinking Cuse and Rutgers fans primarily, but others too)

Reaction Score
The true revolt will be when the students finally turn on the subsidy. I can't believe they haven't already.

It's insane that they are borrowing money guaranteed by the feds to enrich coaches and athletic directors. Insane.

At roughly $500/student/year it is peanuts. But agree with the point.

Reaction Score
On too late; too many commercials; games too long. Stopped watching football for the most part. Soccer has replaced NFL, College Football, NBA, MLB for many of us.

2. More Americans watched the Women's World Cup final than the NBA Final or Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom