College Basketball Super League | The Boneyard

College Basketball Super League

Reaction Score
Florida fan: UConn is worth way more than Syracuse, even in NYC.

UConn fans: We're never going to the P5.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting discussion with college football, because the money is there that it's not inconceivable. It is inconceivable with college hoops. There is just not the level of national interest to raise big money for this kind of a superleague. A P-5 breakaway, with or without the Big East, sure, but not this kind of Superleague.

Reaction Score
I think I'd replace Florida State with Florida and Michigan with Arizona.

Reaction Score
Titus and Tate did a similar thing on thier last podcast. Gave some love to UConn in it also.
Just listened to it this morning. Titus said we were a more splashy announcement than Nova (he picked us before them) and called us sexy like 6 times and then mocked the possibility of himself mumbling getting into a promo video for UConn. Think this is a job for Tcf or 806.

The pick at 55:58 and the sexy talk after Tate picked Nova at 1:00:19

Reaction Score
You do a 24 team league split into 2 and try to maximize historical relevance and historic rivalries with as little overlap as possible. Mix of big and small schools too. You can do pods or you can do two divisions. You can talk me into adding teams up to 30 so it's like the pros, and certainly some of the schools here are just to give geographic reach.

UConnTexas
VillanovaOklahoma
SyracuseKansas
GeorgetownMizzou
MichiganUCLA
Ohio StateUSC
IndianaArizona
DukeOregon
UNCGonzaga
KentuckyFlorida
LouisvilleAlabama
IllinoisColorado

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I guess CBB could go the European soccer league model and have a “tier 1” of the top 32 teams who play a round robin each year. The top 8 play in a tournament for the league title (national champion?). The bottom 8 get relegated and the top 8 from the rest of college basketball take their spot the following season.

How do you get a top 8 from the rest of college basketball (from 321 teams?) is something I don’t have an answer for. Probably some sort of power ranking system like KenPom or NET.

March madness could include all 32 teams and the top 32 teams from the rest of college basketball. This would be more of an exhibition though, with the real prize being the super league title.

Reaction Score
Nobody will want to do this for a few reasons:
1. Most of these schools now sit atop their league standings and that won't be the case with this depth of talented teams;
2. The fan bases would lose interest quickly if their teams don't finish at the top of the new league;
3. The money that flows from merchandise sales, ticket sales, etc. would dry up when you finish 19th in a "super league";
4. The TV contracts enjoyed to the tune of $40-50 Million per year would not happen with this new league;
5. See 1,2,3,and 4 above...............

Reaction Score
You do a 24 team league split into 2 and try to maximize historical relevance and historic rivalries with as little overlap as possible. Mix of big and small schools too. You can do pods or you can do two divisions. You can talk me into adding teams up to 30 so it's like the pros, and certainly some of the schools here are just to give geographic reach.

UConnTexas
VillanovaOklahoma
SyracuseKansas
GeorgetownMizzou
MichiganUCLA
Ohio StateUSC
IndianaArizona
DukeOregon
UNCGonzaga
KentuckyFlorida
LouisvilleAlabama
IllinoisColorado
Alabama, Oregon and Colorado over teams like Cincinnati, Michigan State? USC has no real basketball history either.

Reaction Score
Alabama, Oregon and Colorado over teams like Cincinnati, Michigan State? USC has no real basketball history either.
Trying to pick geographic diversity. Michigan-Ohio State as a rivalry was a factor in pulling Michigan over Michigan State. No reason to have two Michigan schools.

If you don't pick Alabama you have only Florida in the south. Worth giving them another partner. USC gives you another California school, though I'd listen to Cal or Stanford as replacements.

Colorado represents the. middle of the country, and Oregon gives the West Coast enough coverage.

Cincy and MSU give me coverage in places already covered. MSU was a hard cut. Cincy not so much.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Total Crap
But I do agree that UConn is a stronger pull than Cuse or St Johns

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Trying to pick geographic diversity. Michigan-Ohio State as a rivalry was a factor in pulling Michigan over Michigan State. No reason to have two Michigan schools.

If you don't pick Alabama you have only Florida in the south. Worth giving them another partner. USC gives you another California school, though I'd listen to Cal or Stanford as replacements.

Colorado represents the. middle of the country, and Oregon gives the West Coast enough coverage.

Cincy and MSU give me coverage in places already covered. MSU was a hard cut. Cincy not so much.
But you took Duke and UNC. Also Kentucky and Louisville. I think you have to take Michigan and Michigan State. Sorry to the Colorados and Missouris of the world.

Reaction Score
But you took Duke and UNC. Also Kentucky and Louisville. I think you have to take Michigan and Michigan State. Sorry to the Colorados and Missouris of the world.
No you don't. Duke/UNC and Kentucky/Louisville games are big draws with long histories. Michigan/Ohio State is the draw there, not MSU/Michigan or MSU/OSU. All six of those schools have national appeal. So does Michigan State, but I'm not doubling up in a state like Michigan when they don't even have a rival anyone cares about. Frankly, if I went to 30 to match the NBA I'd add Wisconsin/Minnesota from the B10 before them, though probably after Virginia/Maryland/Georgia. The 30th team would Arkansas or LSU before I double down on the second most popular school in a shrinking state.

Reaction Score
The 30th team would Arkansas or LSU before I double down on the second most popular school in a shrinking state.
A shrinking state no doubt, but still the 10th most populous state in the country. And still over a million more people than the 11th most populous state (New Jersey). And in a state that seriously supports the athletic teams of those 2 big state schools. I can see the argument either way, I guess.

Reaction Score
A shrinking state no doubt, but still the 10th most populous state in the country. And still over a million more people than the 11th most populous state (New Jersey). And in a state that seriously supports the athletic teams of those 2 big state schools. I can see the argument either way, I guess.
Yeah, MSU is hard cut, but you do want a mix of historically great schools, historically important rivalries, and geographic coverage.

You can have MSU in addition to Michigan and it's not like that's a bad choice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom