College Basketball’s New Anti-Flopping Rules Seem To Be Working (Ken Pomeroy) | The Boneyard

College Basketball’s New Anti-Flopping Rules Seem To Be Working (Ken Pomeroy)

Reaction Score
I found this pretty interesting. Even as technicals have dropped throughout the season, the number of offensive fouls per game has remained lower than recent years. Seems good to me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This article gives every analytics "expert" a bad name. The author of that article reaches absolutely the wrong conclusion from the reduced number of offensive fouls. Fewer offensive fouls should not be an objective for officials. Getting the call right is the objective of officials. Unfortunately, the implementation of the flop penalties seems to be causing officials to make the wrong calls. Basically, the fact pattern seems to indicate that officials were calling fouls based on the flop rather than if there was actually an offensive foul.

So as I sit through another game of Providence crashing and flailing its way to the free throw line, and will probably watch some of the game tonight where Villanova does the same thing, data is apparently showing that officiating has gotten more lenient of offensive fouling.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Weird, because sitting here it feels like there are way more Ts than previous years - of course my sample size is small and biased.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I found this pretty interesting. Even as technicals have dropped throughout the season, the number of offensive fouls per game has remained lower than recent years. Seems good to me.

It didn't work today when Kalbrenner flop when Sonogo was driving the base line. He put both arms crossed on his chest and flopped with a smile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom