Colin Mcenroe Smacks Team | The Boneyard

Colin Mcenroe Smacks Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://wnpr.org/post/would-you-buy-used-tennis-or-football-event-state#.Ul1PGraR8mc.twitter

In an article about how state of CT buying Pilot Pen...

Consider the abysmal UConn football program.
One of the more chilling exchanges on the subject happened Oct. 2, on Where We Live, when host John Dankosky asked USA Today sports reporter Paul Meyerberg if UConn is a big time football program.
"No," Myerberg said flatly. "I would not put UConn in the same class as any big time football program. The program has obviously taken a big hit. It's not an A+ rating anymore. It's a B."
And, said Meyerberg, UConn is stuck in the jury-rigged American Athletic Conference. "It's going to be a terrible league. It's a bad league now, and it's going to be awful next year when Louisville goes to the ACC."
Meyerberg said UConn has nothing that would attract a big time coach. Recruiting will be hard and assistants will see little reason to join the staff. Even the allure of a worst-to-first transformation will be tepid, he said, because "even if you go 11-1, you're still playing in the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl." It's a regional program, he said, and turning it into a national power would take something akin to a miracle.
Why should this bother you? Well, even though it's almost impossible to figure out what something like the UConn football program costs, I'm comfortable telling you it has run up a big tab with the taxpayers. You built a stadium with $90 million in public bonds, and you built practice facilities with another $31 million in bonds. Debt service on those bonds is not carried on the UConn football books, which is one of the many reasons it's so hard to say was a football program costs.
This was all part of a massive bet -- using your money -- that UConn football would click and generate a lot of revenue. College sports departments are -- to an alarming degree -- in the television business, and right now UConn football's high velocity plummet out of the national conversation and into the second tier basically means the TV money is not coming. You need TV money to make the balance sheet work.

Reaction Score
Yeah. None of that has been discussed here. SMH. Now is the time to double down. Go make a big,hire and double down on,the investment. CAPTAIN obvious on TV money talk. Can we get out of this league? Time will tell.

Reaction Score
http://wnpr.org/post/would-you-buy-used-tennis-or-football-event-state#.Ul1PGraR8mc.twitter

One of the more chilling exchanges on the subject happened Oct. 2, on Where We Live, when host John Dankosky asked USA Today sports reporter Paul Meyerberg if UConn is a big time football program.
"No," Myerberg said flatly. "I would not put UConn in the same class as any big time football program. The program has obviously taken a big hit. It's not an A+ rating anymore. It's a B."
And, said Meyerberg, UConn is stuck in the jury-rigged American Athletic Conference. "It's going to be a terrible league. It's a bad league now, and it's going to be awful next year when Louisville goes to the ACC."
Meyerberg said UConn has nothing that would attract a big time coach. Recruiting will be hard and assistants will see little reason to join the staff. Even the allure of a worst-to-first transformation will be tepid, he said, because "even if you go 11-1, you're still playing in the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl." It's a regional program, he said, and turning it into a national power would take something akin to a miracle.
Why should this bother you? Well, even though it's almost impossible to figure out what something like the UConn football program costs, I'm comfortable telling you it has run up a big tab with the taxpayers. You built a stadium with $90 million in public bonds, and you built practice facilities with another $31 million in bonds. Debt service on those bonds is not carried on the UConn football books, which is one of the many reasons it's so hard to say was a football program costs.
This was all part of a massive bet -- using your money -- that UConn football would click and generate a lot of revenue. College sports departments are -- to an alarming degree -- in the television business, and right now UConn football's high velocity plummet out of the national conversation and into the second tier basically means the TV money is not coming. You need TV money to make the balance sheet work.

this conference is going to kill UConn as an athletic program. Hell, I'm a lifetime supporter of UConn (I'm 46) and have been going to games since I was a kid, and even I barely stiffle a yawn when I think about the AAC.

Reaction Score
Well, that's just like his opinion man..

Reaction Score
this conference is going to kill UConn as an athletic program. Hell, I'm a lifetime supporter of UConn (I'm 46) and have been going to games since I was a kid, and even I barely stiffle a yawn when I think about the AAC.

Agreed - that is why the BOT, SH and WM have to get up every day and figure a way out of this conference mess. With virtually no payout from the AAC (Geno makes more than our AAC media share!), UConn simply can't afford to remain in the AAC very long. UConn needs to tap into P-5 Conference type payout stream to maintain the athletic programs it currently has. If not, then it is abundantly clear that UConn will have to de-emphasize sports in general, including a major reduction in salary structure, scholarship and facility expansion/construction.

Reaction Score
Agreed - that is why the BOT, SH and WM have to get up every day and figure a way out of this conference mess. With virtually no payout from the AAC (Geno makes more than our AAC media share!), UConn simply can't afford to remain in the AAC very long. UConn needs to tap into P-5 Conference type payout stream to maintain the athletic programs it currently has. If not, then it is abundantly clear that UConn will have to de-emphasize sports in general, including a major reduction in salary structure, scholarship and facility expansion/construction.

I fear for the non-primary sports too. Went to the Men's soccer game on Saturday night (it was a wall-to-wall UConn sports day) and they all but sodomized Memphis at mid-field. I worry how the lack of conference competition might hurt these other great UConn programs.

Reaction Score

Pretty sure that the Herbst and Manuel know the calculus already. The plan is to make UConn so good in every facet that it simply cannot be ignored.

The fact is that we have a winless team and the stadium is still more or less filled every game.

There is an appetite for big time football here. The school just did a bad job at maintaining the best possible coaches.

That reporter's take is purely catastrophic, I believe that the leadership have a plan, it's just going to take a minute or two for it to take hold.

Look, TCU was in a hole. Even Pizza State was in a hole.

It's not a matter of doubling down, it's a matter of getting the right guy to lead the program who is on the same sheet of music as the AD and the President.

In some ways, UConn may be better off in the long run for this. If we end up in the B1G instead of the ACC we would be better off.

Secondly, if we got into the ACC or somewhere else, I could see the school getting complacent about athletics.

At least it will be easier to stand out...

Our situation totally blows, but at some point you have to embrace it.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I really understand the attitude that UConn can't attract a potential big time coach. Starting next year, this is going to be a league that is very easy to win year in and year out. UConn also isn't going to skimp on paying a capable coach, so any big time coordinator could come here, be payed well, win a bunch of games to showcase themselves and move on to an even bigger pay day at a bigger program. Also, following Pasquoloni, any signs of improvement are going to buy the new coach time and favor among fans.

Reaction Score

Consider the abysmal UConn football program. One of the more chilling exchanges on the subject happened Oct. 2, on Where We Live, when host John Dankosky asked USA Today sports reporter Paul Meyerberg if UConn is a big time football program. "No," Myerberg said flatly. "I would not put UConn in the same class as any big time football program. The program has obviously taken a big hit. It's not an A+ rating anymore. It's a B.".

I didn't know we were an "A+" program previously...

Reaction Score
When I say double down, im referring to the hiring of a coach. The best way to distance themselves from other group of five is to pay more money for the right coach.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UCONN football is a stepping stone job for as long as we are in the AAC. It doesn't have the tradition and championship history of basketball so it won't be able to keep a top coach from bolting for a P-5 conference job opening like basketball would. So, if the article is suggesting that UCONN won't be able to lure Nick Saban from Alabama or Urban Meyer for OSU, then Colin McEnroe is just being a negative Cap'n Obvious.

That said, UCONN is still a national brand name that will continue to play in front of good crowds, has a top campus facility, and has an athletic department that is, as of now, still committed to winning and competing at a top level. That separates our job opening from one at, say, Miami of Ohio. There is no doubt in my mind that Warde won't have a good, interested candidate pool at the end of the season. Whether it will be tapping a coordinator from a P-5 school or a head coach from a smaller school (Bowling Green, I'm looking at you!), our brand name would still be beneficial to an eager coach looking to climb the ranks. And guess what? As long as we are stuck in the AAC, I don't mind being a stepping stone job. Let us help each other out: our brand and national recognition would easily open eyes across the P-5 country if the new coach can turn us around. In return, we only ask for an eager, ambitious guy to turn around our perception to help us get out of AAC purgatory. Win-win for both parties.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure big money will get a big name coach to AAC or UConn.

Most of the bigger P-5 schools would match or exceed UConn's offer if it really became a challenge to get the man they want.

And, most of all, I would guess most established and recognized names have ego's and strive for personal satisfaction besides the money.........(1) be a coach at a recognized college FB program......(2) have a long relationship with that school (3) win a lot of games, (4) be nominated to college football Hall of Fame.

Being a devils advocate.......winning 100 games at UConn in the AAC does not enhance a coaches resume or help him realize his other goals.

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO BE 1000% WRONG, BUT I'M GUESSING OUR NEXT COACH WILL HAVE LESS NAME RECOGNITION THAN WEIST (AND THE LATTER DOES HAVE A DECENT RESUME')

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
that new logo screams rape and danger.
You know, I forgot about that.

He's the CT captain of snarky journalism. Likes to go for the back of your ankles if you start to limp.

There was a day when I read his humor column. Not any more.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can't believe no one has commented on the best line:

Having a football team makes the campus more dangerous to women.

Granted, this oaf has written a lot of stupid s--- in his day, but that was truly impressive.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Last I checked if UConn went 11-1 they'd most likely be going to the whatever bowl the top team of the non-P5 conferences goes to. That's not a lowly bowl against a MAC/CUSA/MWC opponent. So I'll take 11-1 from UConn every year. This guy basically repeated everything everyone fears. I don't really know why he's even commenting about UConn football and honestly don't give a rats-butt what he has to say. Everyone from SH down to the fans know what's on the line if we don't get out of the AAC soon. That being said, I still believe the AAC, as a football conference, will be a step UP from what the Big East was in terms of football.

So thanks for the uplifting article but this @$$hat can shove it (not the OP but the person that made the comments on whatever he was talking on)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thinking about his math is also enjoyable. hundreds of players, coaches, staff and media stay in hotels and rent cars, on top of sales taxes plus the state income tax on the purse it seems like it would be awfully difficult for the state to lose money on that deal.

Reaction Score
I can't believe no one has commented on the best line:

Having a football team makes the campus more dangerous to women.

He should be called out for making such an idiotic statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom