Colin McEnroe: ‘UConn athletic teams are on welfare.’ | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Colin McEnroe: ‘UConn athletic teams are on welfare.’

Reaction Score
And you're defending yourself by bringing up articles on hoops scandals in an attempt to justify why it's OK for football to be scummy. Nice!

Nobody wants to solve anything anymore. They just want to prove the other guy is wrong. Not just sports, it's everything.

End of the day, I'm just tired of people who can spout off the 2nd string OL of the Steelers but can't name their reps or senators. So don't mind me, I'm just pretty crusty these days. Hopefully I'll be comfortably retired in Europe in a few years and won't have to concern myself with this stuff. But I'll still be rooting for UConn to be a model university.
Nice rant that has nothing to do with anything I said. I don’t know that you’ll be any happier arguing with yourself in Europe instead of wherever you are right now.

Reaction Score
Being outside of CT and not a Courant subscriber, this is first I've heard of Burton's company's bankruptcy and Herbst's board position there. Read some other articles on Burton this morning. Sounds like a mini-Trump vis a vis sleaze & nepotism (he was that way well before being potus, so that's a non-political statement). Which I guess is what FB-first fans want.

I like watching college football. But I hate SEC-quality booster sleaze and influence peddling. Call me naive, but this crap only adds to an already bad look.

Burton did ok before Cenveo

Reaction Score
It’s the “Northeastern” disease.

• Lots of elite private schools.

• Lots of well entrenched pro teams with rabid followings.

• The parochial belief that big-time college football is a culturally inferior Midwest and Southern thing.
...and those elite private schools created football and were once college football powers.

During that time, pro football was shunned in the northeast. Took till 1960 for New England to finally establish a franchise that lasts. There were at least 4 attempts before.

Reaction Score
The only reason why UConn sports isn't paying for itself is because over the last 20 years there has been a mass exodus of middle class workers out of the state of Connecticut. Servants and the filthy rich aren't going to pack the Rent or Gample. You have a university that 50 years too late decided to try and join the big boys in college athletics when at the same time the state labor unions gained complete control of the state government, fleecing the tax payers for every penny they thought they could get. And a lot of those tax payers decided the grass was greener elsewhere. So now you have an athletic department desperately trying to stay afloat in a state with dwindling numbers. And how telling is it that no former governor actually lives in Connecticut. And how many retired state employees have moved elsewhere? That's why UConn athletics is on welfare.

Reaction Score
Florida is still a huge state with many students coming of university age...

In 2019, FSU received 57,000 first year applications for admission....enrolled 6,200 freshmen

Growth for the UCF's, FIU's etc is now influenced by the overflow from Florida and FSU.

Neither Florida nor FSU are looking to expand...and have been getting more and more selective.

Reaction Score
Here is a column by Chris Powell of the Journal Inquirer. A different perspective than the one from Colin McEnroe.
UConn should shape up and fix its football mess
I thought that the statement that Edsall was rehired by an administration that lacked self respect was a little harsh. I thought it was a value move and worth a shot. The jury is still out — the next two years will be telling.

The rest of this is spot on though. We weren’t always a basketball power. We were Big East doormats until JC/Gino came along.

Reaction Score
Here is a column by Chris Powell of the Journal Inquirer. A different perspective than the one from Colin McEnroe.
UConn should shape up and fix its football mess

Losses create apathy and lack of attendance.
It wasn’t too far back when people were clamoring for the rent to be expanded.
We need to start winning and then we start to dream again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought that the statement that Edsall was rehired by an administration that lacked self respect was a little harsh.
Disagree, the comment is spot on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom