Colin McEnroe: ‘UConn athletic teams are on welfare.’ | The Boneyard

Colin McEnroe: ‘UConn athletic teams are on welfare.’

Reaction Score
... as a New York UCONN stakeholder, I have no idea who he is.

Gonna keep him in that hole.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The one thing i took away: He is Obviously a huge football fan. I mean, he has the hats, mugs and totes to back it up...

dude has TWO hats

Reaction Score
Colin is a columnist for newspapers and is a radio host for CT Public Radio. Nothing against him, but maybe he needs to be asked about how most major state research universities also have competitive sports programs -- mostly in Power 5. Also, the college he attended, Yale, gave up its engineering and applied science school many decades ago. If Yale kept it in place, it would have helped the state's economy. Now it's up to UConn to regenerate the state's economy. He is being shortsighted like UConn's interim board chairman Tom Ritter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wouldn't know nor comment on the alleged “problem”, but does McEnroe spend many long nights talking up coed barmaids and cougars in “WeHa” oyster bars?
How exactly do you know that -- and I am curious what does West Hartford have to do with anything. Home to many loyal UConn alumni.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Wouldn't know nor comment on the alleged “problem”, but does McEnroe spend many long nights talking up coed barmaids and cougars in “WeHa” oyster bars?

The problem? State has an abundance of columnists, politicos and business people (I work with that last class- see it first hand sometimes when discussing what’s wrong with CT) that don’t really believe in the concept of a state flagship university. It would be nice and helpful if more in this state took a B1G type of view about the school and its role in the economy.

Side bar: for instance, never understood why Malloy didn’t come to UConn football games to glad hand. He’a not my guy, but gosh darn it- this is the state’s flagship school, come to a few games a year- press the flesh and show the gov office sees the university as the center of the state. It should be. It can be.

Reaction Score
Colin is a columnist for newspapers and is a radio host for CT Public Radio. Nothing against him, but maybe he needs to be asked about how most major state research universities also have competitive sports programs -- mostly in Power 5. Also, the college he attended, Yale, gave up its engineering and applied science school many decades ago. If Yale kept it in place, it would have helped the state's economy. Now it's up to UConn to regenerate the state's economy. He is being shortsighted like UConn's interim board chairman Tom Ritter.
Not quite true. Yale operated for years with a “Faculty of Engineering and Applied Sciences.” They offered several engineering degrees but were not at the same level as other schools within the university. About 10 years ago (shockingly mere months after Harvard made a similar move), engineering was upgraded to the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.” It’s grown since then but it is still only a small part (maybe 10%) of the university’s enrollment. They could do more. They certainly don’t seem to have made the most of the old Bayer campus (now “Yale West”) in West Haven. It seems highly under utilized and thus not contributing greatly to the state’s recovery.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The problem? State has an abundance of columnists, politicos and business people (I work with that last class- see it first hand sometimes when discussing what’s wrong with CT) that don’t really believe in the concept of a state flagship university. It would be nice and helpful if more in this state took a B1G type of view about the school and its role in the economy.

Side bar: for instance, never understood why Malloy didn’t come to UConn football games to glad hand. He’a not my guy, but gosh darn it- this is the state’s flagship school, come to a few games a year- press the flesh and show the gov office sees the university as the center of the state. It should be. It can be.

The older, more established Ivies and Liberal Arts colleges have made the concept of a state flagship U tough to figure out. Small size of NE states and availability of great U's within a 3-4 hour driving radius have made it tough for any New England state U to be "the university" in the state.

You have to get to Penn St or UVA to find a state U which is looked upon within the state's population as a top choice of HS students.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The older, more established Ivies and Liberal Arts colleges have made the concept of a state flagship U tough to figure out. Small size of NE states and availability of great U's within a 3-4 hour driving radius have made it tough for any New England state U to be "the university" in the state.

You have to get to Penn St or UVA to find a state U which is looked upon within the state's population as a top choice of HS students.
I’m well aware. Thing is - this gap remains part of our problem.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Being outside of CT and not a Courant subscriber, this is first I've heard of Burton's company's bankruptcy and Herbst's board position there. Read some other articles on Burton this morning. Sounds like a mini-Trump vis a vis sleaze & nepotism (he was that way well before being potus, so that's a non-political statement). Which I guess is what FB-first fans want.

I like watching college football. But I hate SEC-quality booster sleaze and influence peddling. Call me naive, but this crap only adds to an already bad look.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Hahaha... Molloy was lucky if he could remember how to tie his shoes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom