Colin Cowherd's view on Penn State Situation... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Colin Cowherd's view on Penn State Situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
So then why is everyone fixated on the future of PSU football?
Because this is a football board and the decline of PSU football can potentially have a positive impact on our program.

Reaction Score
Because this is a football board and the decline of PSU football can potentially have a positive impact on our program.

Well, OK, that's fine. It's just that I'm getting lectures about not caring about victims just because I am not that concerned about PSU football.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why would Meyer want to step into that mess?

Reaction Score
They contacted Mike London already of UVa. Some say he already told them he is staying at UVa.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's not just the rioting students that have no perspective? First, my thoughts are with the victims and their families. Second, I would support any effort to rid the university of the system that created this horrific situation.

No, no, no. It is terribly important that everyone remember that PSU was not a system that created this horrific situation. Sandusky did. Or nature did by creating Sandusky the way it did (because we are kidding ourselves if we don't believe most people are born to never be pedophiles but some are). Sandusky would have been molesting kids if he were a carpenter or a teacher, not because he was a football coach at Penn State.

Please do not get me wrong -- representatives of PSU failed miserably in their duties as human beings and representatives of the State of Pennsylvania, but they did not create the actual harm here -- they failed to stop it when given a chance to do so.

Reaction Score
No, no, no. It is terribly important that everyone remember that PSU was not a system that created this horrific situation. Sandusky did. Or nature did by creating Sandusky the way it did (because we are kidding ourselves if we don't believe most people are born to never be pedophiles but some are). Sandusky would have been molesting kids if he were a carpenter or a teacher, not because he was a football coach at Penn State.

Please do not get me wrong -- representatives of PSU failed miserably in their duties as human beings and representatives of the State of Pennsylvania, but they did not create the actual harm here -- they failed to stop it when given a chance to do so.

Semantics at this point. PSU allowed a system to develop and continue that allowed a monster to harm children. All involved need to be removed. Any remnants of the insular culture that allowed these events to continue must be wiped out.

Reaction Score

I disagree.

There are at least two different wrongs that people need to be held accountable for.

Sandusky created it because he is a pedophile who acted on his urges. He's responsible. It's not "Society's fault" that Sandusky couldn't judge right from wrong. If he was "born this way" then that doesn't make a lick of a difference because everyone is born with the ability to exercise self control, but not everyone is disciplined enough to actually use it.

Many people associated with Sandusky either by chance or by choice are responsible as well because we expect our fellow adults to do the right thing when we are confronted with evil. A long list of people failed these victims. Alot of them happen to be Penn State employees. At Penn State even an Assistant Football Coach carries about as much prestige as a high ranking administrator or Prof. And besides that at a place like Penn State, the football program generates 50 Million a year.

If Sandusky was doing what he did at a place where there was less of an emphasis on football I bet that he would have gone to jail the first time someone walked in on him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If Sandusky was doing what he did at a place where there was less of an emphasis on football I bet that he would have gone to jail the first time someone walked in on him.

I don't quite agree. It's not because of football. It's any place where the power gets concentrated in an old boy network. At PSU is was football, it could be something else in other places. Makes me think about that bastard John Rowland. He disgraced his state as governor but kept his mouth shut, served his slap on the wrist and now it's all forgotten.

Reaction Score
I don't quite agree. It's not because of football. It's any place where the power gets concentrated in an old boy network. At PSU is was football, it could be something else in other places. Makes me think about that bastard John Rowland. He disgraced his state as governor but kept his mouth shut, served his slap on the wrist and now it's all forgotten.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. And I wouldn't confine my theory to just football. I also think this is another case of old men, with their legacies intertwined covering up for one and other. Just like the Catholic Church and another instance where grievous crimes were handled internally.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with what you are saying. And I wouldn't confine my theory to just football. I also think this is another case of old men, with their legacies intertwined covering up for one and other. Just like the Catholic Church and another instance where grievous crimes were handled internally.
Yep. It's always for our own good though. Sarcasm on. These people in power always justify their secrecy with how this would be bad for society if the truth were actually known by all the little creatures, i.e., us.

Reaction Score

The problem starts with the football coach being not only the most powerful person in the region, and the highest paid in the state, but also the fact that he is to a degree responsible for the growth of that university. The power relations between football, academics, athletics, were out of whack, and that's why you had the President of the university covering this up.

Reaction Score
The Auburn coach had a terrible record at Iowa State and was a very controversial hire. Maybe PSU will be a better fit for Edsall as the place recruits its self and they are in desperate need of a disciplinarian right now.

Reaction Score
The Auburn coach had a terrible record at Iowa State and was a very controversial hire. Maybe PSU will be a better fit for Edsall as the place recruits its self and they are in desperate need of a disciplinarian right now.
Probably true, but I just think that ship has sailed the way it's going in MD. And I'm on record as saying that RE will eventually work out in MD. They can't get rid of him: he as a locked in $12MM salary over 6 years. They can't afford to let him go. So, he'll work out in year 3, I'm sure of that. But you know the irony of it all is, if RE had just been a little less impatient, had he got on that plane to Bradley that night, Maryland might have hired someone else. And guess who would be right up there for the Penn State job right now? They need a disciplinarian. The place recruits itself. Wow.

Reaction Score
Once they pick an athletic director, well have a much better clue on who the next coach will be. They all have their certain favorites.

Reaction Score
PSU doesn't need a disciplinarian. Player discipline wasnt the problem. They need someone who doesnt cover up for pedophiles. You know someone trustworthy that won't say goodbye to his team on conference call.

Reaction Score
PSU doesn't need a disciplinarian. Player discipline wasnt the problem. They need someone who doesnt cover up for pedophiles. You know someone trustworthy that won't say goodbye to his team on conference call.

I say this in all honesty -- you should be shot for comparing covering up the rape of children with the way Edsall left UConn. When Edsall did your fiance, did he make you bring him the condom?

Reaction Score
Yup, child sexual abuse happens within families, neighborhoods, schools, youth sports, Boy/Girl Scouts, camps, religious groups of all shapes and forms, college and pro sports (see recent Citadel news reports, or the Boston Red Sox cover ups), etc. It will definitely happen again within a top-level NCAA program, and could be currently in progress.

Reaction Score
I say this in all honesty -- you should be shot for comparing covering up the rape of children with the way Edsall left UConn. When Edsall did your fiance, did he make you bring him the condom?

I didn't make that comparison. But certainly you wanted to see it!

You should have your head checked for saying that the "environment" is responsible for producing Sandusky. Typical left wing BS.

Reaction Score
I didn't make that comparison. But certainly you wanted to see it!

You should have your head checked for saying that the "environment" is responsible for producing Sandusky. Typical left wing BS.

Sandusky is responsible for his actions. Being born with a genetic inclination to rape young boys is not an excuse for doing so and I didn't say it was. But if you don't think that genetic inclinations are involved with pedophiles, I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
The problem starts with the football coach being not only the most powerful person in the region, and the highest paid in the state, but also the fact that he is to a degree responsible for the growth of that university. The power relations between football, academics, athletics, were out of whack, and that's why you had the President of the university covering this up.
The first part of this describes a certain coach in this state. Would you say that the power relations at Uconn are out of whack? Of course I am not suggesting that anything like PSU covering for an ex-coach has or would happen here, but if I am a BOT member at Uconn, I would probably want to look at the dynamics in this state and at the school as well. Hell, if I am Duke, Bama, LSU, FLA, etc., where a single coach in any sport is the face that the world identifies with the university, I would be looking at the "power relations" very carefully and trying to implement some changes to bring the balance back to where it should be.

On one of your other points, PSU needs to dismiss the entire football staff, the entire AD and the Trustees on the Athletics Committee even before finding a new president. Just from a public relations point of view, you need to do it. You need to clean house and you need to do it quickly.

Reaction Score
Sandusky is responsible for his actions. Being born with a genetic inclination to rape young boys is not an excuse for doing so and I didn't say it was. But if you don't think that genetic inclinations are involved with pedophiles, I don't know what to tell you.

You mean there is actually a such thing as a"pedophile gene" like there is a homosexual gene? Really? I totally believe that people are born gay btw, but I don't believe I have heard of what you are mentioning.

I also believe that people are born with the ability to exercise self control.

Is there also a ponzi scheme Madoff gene or a soul-less lawyer gene? Is there a gene that causes you to overbill your clients each month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom