Cole sits in 2nd half | The Boneyard

Cole sits in 2nd half

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It was way more than Gaff.

Hurley puts in Gaff, takes out Jackson and then decides he wants Martin breaking the press off the dribble.

Martin is a great rebounder for his size and does other things well. Making good decisions while moving with the balls is something he is not good at doing.

Reaction Score
It was way more than Gaff.

Hurley puts in Gaff, takes out Jackson and then decides he wants Martin breaking the press off the dribble.

Martin is a great rebounder for his size and does other things well. Making good decisions while moving with the balls is something he is not good at doing.
Turnover machine sometimes. Just trying to force things or do too much.

Reaction Score
Gaff was awful but Cole getting his 3rd wasn’t the reason. They were all dreadful beginning 2nd half prior to Coles 3rd. Just a scary first 10 minutes of not taking care of the ball and carelessness abound.

Reaction Score
False narrative.

We were playing like garbage BEFORE Gaffney came in. We turned the ball over on the first 3 possessions of the second half and on 7 of 11 of our first possessions of the second half.

Gaffney didn't help but Martin kept turning the ball over every time Gaff threw it to him.

Reaction Score
Gaffney was not the problem today. He missed a sitter of a layup but otherwise ran the offense and found the shooters well in the first half and played good d.

In the second half, Martin lost his gourd for a solid two minutes that led to three or four TOs- let’s not put that on Gaff.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gaffney was not the problem today. He missed a sitter of a layup but otherwise ran the offense and found the shooters well in the first half and played good d.

In the second half, Martin lost his gourd for a solid two minutes that led to three or four TOs- let’s not put that on Gaff.

Yes.

In first half Gaff maintained moment and had three assists.

UConn caught a great break in first half while they rested Cole. Huey usually pulls Cole around 12 min mark and tries to rest him until under 8 TV TO.

Today the action went to about 6 minutes and the. There was a TO right as Cole was coming back in. Nice 4-5 extra minutes of rest in real time.

Reaction Score
False narrative.

We were playing like garbage BEFORE Gaffney came in. We turned the ball over on the first 3 possessions of the second half and on 7 of 11 of our first possessions of the second half.

Gaffney didn't help but Martin kept turning the ball over every time Gaff threw it to him.

No doubt but let’s be honest we need that back up guard to come in and calm the team down. Doesn’t have to do a lot but just don’t make mistakes or miss wide open lay ins. We really need him to be better.

Reaction Score
Sometimes Hurley is a bit conservative in sitting guys who are in foul trouble. Sat Sanogo for most of the first half after two fouls. Cole with three fouls in the second half when we're up a bunch isn't really a problem, in my opinion. Just keep him in and relatively cautious, keeping the lead and dwindling down the clock.

Reaction Score
Sometimes Hurley is a bit conservative in sitting guys who are in foul trouble. Sat Sanogo for most of the first half after two fouls. Cole with three fouls in the second half when we're up a bunch isn't really a problem, in my opinion. Just keep him in and relatively cautious, keeping the lead and dwindling down the clock.
Agreed - I think most coaches are over-conservative on this and most often lose minutes from players between the 2nd and 3rd fouls and secondarily between the 3rd and 4th fouls when they don't have to... My preference is to play guys in the regular season so they learn how to play with fouls better so that when it occurs in tournament play they are more understanding how to play with 3 or 4 fouls.

Reaction Score
This bashing of Gaffney goes way too far. WE had 10 turnovers in a flash. When Cole was in with Martin throwing softees. So ... that was X throwing heat defense at us - a intensity I did not expect Xavier was capable - and off we go. Poor poor response

Hurley had to take out Cole with 3 fouls. Then correctly inserted him at the exact right moment. I don't get why Jackson sat so often in the 2nd half; thought he might be hurt. We choked a little; Xavier played far better on offense; and then we got back to Cole leadership.

Reaction Score
We still have a whole offseason to figure it out, but I am scared for the outlook of this team next season if Cole leaves.

Gaff isn't a lead guard. Rahsool and Corey Floyd will essentially be freshmen again.

RJ's mom has been hinting that he won't return on Twitter:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Agreed - I think most coaches are over-conservative on this and most often lose minutes from players between the 2nd and 3rd fouls and secondarily between the 3rd and 4th fouls when they don't have to... My preference is to play guys in the regular season so they learn how to play with fouls better so that when it occurs in tournament play they are more understanding how to play with 3 or 4 fouls.
Calhoun pretty much always sat anyone with 2 first half fouls for the rest of the half.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
1 turnover, 1 block, 1 rebound and 3 assists. Damn that man. Clearly everything is that guys fault with a stat line like that. this place has a weird hate for the kid.
It's not hate. There's nothing wrong with criticizing a Junior's play. We aren't attacking his character or anything of the sort. We expect the backup PG to be able to handle the role when he comes in

Reaction Score
Gaffney, Martin, Polly, and 2 bigs is a HORRIBLE lineup for trying to beat pressure. Needed Jackson in or at least Hawkins even though he may not have helped much.
They started pressing after that lineup was in I believe, before that just aggressive D. It was a good move by Steele. Cole's 3rd foul happened at the same time as Jackson's normal rotation break. Hurley called a timeout to change it up when they cut it under 10 right after this.

Reaction Score
Calhoun pretty much always sat anyone with 2 first half fouls for the rest of the half.
That's fine - I still don't think it's the right move all the time. If a guy is gassed or partially injured, then maybe I'd do it but other than that I don't think it should be an automatic decision. It'd be interesting to see how many guys foul out versus how many sit for more than 5 or more minutes. If you do straight math you have 5 fouls to use over 40 minutes, or a foul every 8 minutes. It seems silly, in general, to sit a guy for more than 8 minutes for sure.

I'd rather my guy with 2 fouls would get his 3rd right before the halftime than right after it because it would give the coaching staff and players more time to adjust/prepare for the second half play without the presumed starter in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
We have a good but very strange team. Our only ball handler is Cole. Our second best ball handler is Jackson but he’s not ready to run the point (probably will be next season). Everyone else is just bad at dribbling. It’s why Cole is exhausted at the end of games and misses one and ones.

Screw a shooting coach. Let’s hire The Professor or hot sauce.

Reaction Score
We still have a whole offseason to figure it out, but I am scared for the outlook of this team next season if Cole leaves.

Gaff isn't a lead guard. Rahsool and Corey Floyd will essentially be freshmen again.

RJ's mom has been hinting that he won't return on Twitter:

Seriously.

I can't believe the number of people who take it as gospel that Cole, who turns 23 over the summer, will just want to come back for a 6th year of college.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom