Cole, Sanogo and...? | The Boneyard

Cole, Sanogo and...?

Reaction Score
It seems to me that Cole and Sanogo are the only players who are guaranteed to be starters to open the season. The SG, SF, and PF spots all seem to be up for grabs with Gaffney, Hawkins, Jackson, Martin, Akok, and Whaley all potential starters. If Polley can really shoot the ball this season, maybe he has a shot at starting as well. Seven guys competing for three starting spots should make for some pretty intense competition.

So much depth, but so few clear answers. Should make for a very interesting season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't understand how after 4 years of proving people wrong Whaley continues to be disrespected. How could the reigning DPOTY not start?
It's not about disrespect. It's about ceilings. The only person I think Whaley wouldn't start over is Akok.

IF... Akok is showing he's fully back, has taken advantage of the off-season strength and conditioning program, regained his mobility and is disruptive on the defensive end while being an offensive threat including improvements to his 3pt shooting %.

If those things occur then Akok has a higher ceiling this season and throughout a pro career. None of us know that those things will, but we keep seeing glimpses and we're excited about it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't understand how after 4 years of proving people wrong Whaley continues to be disrespected. How could the reigning DPOTY not start?

Because there is better talent than him?

Defense is part of the game but if there are better options available wouldn't you use them?

Last year's team was a first round NCAA loss team which inlcuded a lottery pick who will no longer suit up for UConn. No one's starting position from a team that performed at that level should be safe.

Reaction Score
the starting front court turns into a pick 2 of the following 3:
  • Sanogo
  • Whaley
  • Akok

unfortunately the Sanogo/Whaley pairing is not ideal, as they are both limited in their perimeter games. which leaves us with Akok as the best fit at the 4, and a tough choice between Sanogo and Whaley at the 5.

Reaction Score
Fwiw, whaley mentioned that he has continued working on his outside shot and will be taking more of them this year. No idea if he can do so at an effective rate, but I think the staff is pushing him knowing the limitation we have with sanogo playing the true down low position (also just good for his own development in today’s style of play)

Reaction Score
Not entirely sure why the assumption is that Akok will return from injury and not only a) be a significantly improved shooter and b) be a better shooter than Whaley from the perimeter.
This. He has been borderline terrible on offense. Here are Akok's career stats:
1629223130781.png

Compared to Squirrel's last 2 years:
1629223238411.png

I'm not saying Akok can't be better, or that his ceiling isn't higher. I am just saying that Akok would need to make a pretty sizable jump in offensive production to surpass Squirrel's numbers (which are not world-beating in the first place).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sanogo needs to stay out of foul trouble or he has no chance of starting, assuming that's more important than who gets more minutes.

I see Hurley rotating 4 bigs through 2.5 frontcourt spots and 5 guys through 2.5 backcourt spots unless a star emerges to claim 35 minutes at one position.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the first starting 5 we will see will be Sanogo, Whaley, Akok, Jackson and Cole. Ugly shooting lineup but the first couple offensive sets will be getting ball to Sanogo, high screen and roll with Whaley, Akok at extended elbow, Jackson drive and drop off. Wont be the best lineup, won't be the closing lineup, just the first one we will see.

Reaction Score
This. He has been borderline terrible on offense. Here are Akok's career stats:
View attachment 69205
Compared to Squirrel's last 2 years:
View attachment 69206

I'm not saying Akok can't be better, or that his ceiling isn't higher. I am just saying that Akok would need to make a pretty sizable jump in offensive production to surpass Squirrel's numbers (which are not world-beating in the first place).
Let me Boneyard this thread by suggesting we not sleep on Samson Johnson (Richie Springs has been slept on too much already).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In my opinion, the first starting 5 we will see will be Sanogo, Whaley, Akok, Jackson and Cole. Ugly shooting lineup but the first couple offensive sets will be getting ball to Sanogo, high screen and roll with Whaley, Akok at extended elbow, Jackson drive and drop off. Wont be the best lineup, won't be the closing lineup, just the first one we will see.

No way Sanogo, Whaley and Akok all start the first game

Reaction Score
Why would you think this is even a possibility...

Reaction Score
Good, finally a thread on who’s gonna start :) But seriously I’m more intrigued about who will be our starters come February
To he honest, I'm more intrigued about who will finish out our games. :)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'd be more worried about the back court where you have a lot of guys who had similar holes in their game and lacked consistency. That will be a mad scramble for minutes. You would assume the first 5 are Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Polley, Jackson that doesn't leave room to play (even if you include the SF spot) freshman unless someone is playing a lot less than they did last year, perhaps a few someones.

I don't think any of them should feel secure, they will have to perform.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why another? Wouldn't it be better to start a thread on who will be the backups?

Once you figure out the starters, the back up list kinda takes care of itself.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd be more worried about the back court where you have a lot of guys who had similar holes in their game and lacked consistency. That will be a mad scramble for minutes. You would assume the first 5 are Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Polley, Jackson that doesn't leave room to play (even if you include the SF spot) freshman unless someone is playing a lot less than they did last year, perhaps a few someones.

I don't think any of them should feel secure, they will have to perform.

And that's the biggest thing. Hurley has done a great job reconstructing a roster where there is competition at all positions and one player's weakness is another one's strength. Get better or lose minutes.

A few weeks ago Edsall mentioned he finally has a football rosters where players no longer feel comfortable removing themselves from practices or scrimmages because the football team finally has competition. Same for the bball team.

Reaction Score
Why would you think this is even a possibility...
Because Sanogo is a breakout candidate, Whaley is the conference DPOY and has improved every year, Akok was held out last year because Hurley knew the long term goal and big picture potential, Cole is the starting Pg and Jackson can be another ball handler on the court. Also, the first time we see a starting lineup will be in a scrimmage that will mean absolutely nothing, not the Final Four. There will probably be a dozen variations of lineups Hurley runs through and I’m taking a guess at the first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom