Cole can’t wait to hit the court with UConn | The Boneyard

Cole can’t wait to hit the court with UConn

Reaction Score
Article from today's New London Day. JimHurley will like this one. :)

"I compare him to a quarterback that gets the ball out on time," Dan Hurley said. "He just sees the floor, a tremendous pick and roll, ball screen player. He has tremendous court vision. He's just a very, very efficient offensive player that has the ability to make everyone around him better because of the way he sees the floor. ... He's really easy to play with. He can score the ball and he can be a playmaker.

"Just like a lot of guys in their first year playing for us, he's going to have to step up at the defensive end of the court. But he played for Bob Hurley Sr., so that shouldn't be that big of an adjustment once the lights come on. A guy that will make us better at the offensive end because he's a pretty complete point guard that way."

Reaction Score
Our backcourt is going to be really, really good.

In his second college game, Cole chipped 27 points, eight assists and had only one turnover in a road loss at Indiana.

His reputation continued to grow. He set a freshman program record by pouring in a career-best 42 points in an 80-75 win over defending Colonial Athletic Association champion UNC-Wilmington. He also had six rebounds, four assists and four steals.

As a sophomore, Cole scored 28 points at Georgetown and fired in 21 points versus Harvard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I really am looking forward to seeing this team on the court. Cole, Bouk, jackson, and Gaffney make a dangerous core with play making and pure scoring ability. I hope we get the chance to see them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really am looking forward to seeing this team on the court. Cole, Bouk, jackson, and Gaffney make a dangerous core with play making and scoring pure scoring ability. I hope we get the chance to see them.
Would be fun to add Martin to that group if he can play this year.. Maybe we can start full court pressing some teams again for some easy buckets..

Reaction Score
What continues to resonate with me is that it sounds like he's incredibly poised as the floor general and possesses a high basketball IQ. While I'm greatly appreciative of everything Al offered us in his time here, he was really difficult to trust in crunch-time situations, seemingly making similar mistakes game after game. I think this will be Cole's biggest strength for us next year. We saw the improvement to our team's play when Gaffney was inserted into the lineup. With a jump expected from Gaffney on the offensive end I'm hopeful him and Cole can combine for 18-20ppg and 7-8 assists/game.

Reaction Score
I recently watched a couple replays of the 2006 season. I couldn't help but think of RJ's potential playmaking ability for his teammates while watching Marcus Williams play. If we can get anything close to that, it will be fun to watch. Even I could scored a few points if Marcus was running the offense.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He's our Tesla. His stock is rising.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The better the competition, the better Cole played. In his second college game, Cole chipped 27 points, eight assists and had only one turnover in a road loss at Indiana. As a sophomore, Cole scored 28 points at Georgetown and fired in 21 points versus Harvard.

:)

Reaction Score
The kid quite talented and brings critical intangibles - at a relatively mature age. Defense - I have no clue - but Dan knows what he is doing. This could be an interesting team by the time The BE tournament rolls around. 17 wins? I think a lot more... just my limited opinion.

Reaction Score
I think there has been a significant under appreciation for how good this guy is. I recall seeing some posters saying he will average 8 and 4. We will end up doing a whole lot of laughing at those predictions.

Reaction Score
I think there has been a significant under appreciation for how good this guy is. I recall seeing some posters saying he will average 8 and 4. We will end up doing a whole lot of laughing at those predictions.
It’s tough for me to predict what his production stats wise will be, but I feel pretty confident he’ll be a good player. I come back to what Gaffney did last season. If you just look at the stats, they weren’t great, but anyone watching knew he helped settle the team in, brought a sense of calmness, and moved the ball, allowing for more offensive efficiency. The team started winning once he started.

So with Cole, idk if that means he’ll come in and go like 10 and 5 or 16 and 4, but I feel good about him coming in and playing winning basketball. There’s a lot to be said about a PG that just has a great feel for the game. My guess is he helps to replace some of the scoring CV leaves behind (along with a nice bump in production from Bouk). Just really excited to see a mature point guard that Hurley went all in to get play on this team. Think he helps this team finally get back to a tournament bid, that’s my hope anyway. Next season can’t cone quick enough.

Reaction Score
I'm bullish on Cole and agree he is likely an important part of the equation of replacing CV's scoring. It's a little concerning that, based on Hurley's comment, a year after practicing with the team it sounds like his D still isn't where it needs to be. I guess we always knew that the perimeter D of Vital and Gilbert would be tough to reproduce. Bouk has the tools to become a better defender and hopefully Cole can kick it up a notch.

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
dude can score, the defense may be an issue but I think he's gonna surprise a lot of people this year with his game

Reaction Score
It’s tough for me to predict what his production stats wise will be, but I feel pretty confident he’ll be a good player. I come back to what Gaffney did last season. If you just look at the stats, they weren’t great, but anyone watching knew he helped settle the team in, brought a sense of calmness, and moved the ball, allowing for more offensive efficiency. The team started winning once he started.

So with Cole, idk if that means he’ll come in and go like 10 and 5 or 16 and 4, but I feel good about him coming in and playing winning basketball. There’s a lot to be said about a PG that just has a great feel for the game. My guess is he helps to replace some of the scoring CV leaves behind (along with a nice bump in production from Bouk). Just really excited to see a mature point guard that Hurley went all in to get play on this team. Think he helps this team finally get back to a tournament bid, that’s my hope anyway. Next season can’t cone quick enough.
Agree with your view of JG..He did all of those things.. However I do think he was never 100% after the ankle injury.. Thinking he'll be more explosive..change of direction,etc. this year.Seemed like he was only showing his speed going straight ahead..(result of a tender ankle).. Regarding RJ.. I think game situation and matchups ,minutes that will dictate his stats.. He can be the floor general ..set guys up.. Have 10 assists a game.. Or go off for 15-20 pts if the opponent's defense doesn't respect his offensive game.. If opposing teams are trying to concentrate on Bouk and AJ.. Gaff and RJ are going to have some fun scoring some pts..Add some productivity from our Bigs.. And maybe a significant late signee for the 2020 season.. Won't be sneaking up on anyone by mid-season.. Maybe Akok and Polley will be roundingb into shape by then??

Reaction Score

The good thing is he knows the system and guys. This may be a smoother transition than we think. I think Jackson will bloom later in the season -as comfort settles in. It should be fun... It's just a guess but I think Cole hits the ground running. I'm just concerned about Tyler and Akok.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm very encouraged that Dan thinks he can step up his defensive game. I'm also hopeful that playing on a team where he doesn't have the be the primary scorer will allow him to put more effort into the defensive end.

Reaction Score
I really am looking forward to seeing this team on the court. Cole, Bouk, jackson, and Gaffney make a dangerous core with play making and pure scoring ability. I hope we get the chance to see them.

Very high-ceiling core, and I agree with your 4 - but you should have added one more integral piece. Our Pork Chop (IW) has earned his place as a key part of next year's core, as well.

In fact, I submit that Whaley's performance next year will be as important to how high we climb (particularly next post season) as any single player we currently have on our roster.

Reaction Score
Very high-ceiling core, and I agree with your 4 - but you should have added one more integral piece. Our Pork Chop (IW) has earned his place as a key part of next year's core, as well.

In fact, I submit that Whaley's performance next year will be as important to how high we climb (particularly next post season) as any single player we currently have on our roster.
One of the many things that I like about his game.. For a semi-Big.. Is that he has pretty good hands.. He can catch passes from the guards/forwards..We haven't had many Bigs in recent history that could catch passes.. Not talking about Lobs (Brimah).. If Pork Chop could work on his outlet passes to RJ to start the Break..We're good.

Reaction Score
Article from today's New London Day. JimHurley will like this one. :)

"I compare him to a quarterback that gets the ball out on time," Dan Hurley said. "He just sees the floor, a tremendous pick and roll, ball screen player. He has tremendous court vision. He's just a very, very efficient offensive player that has the ability to make everyone around him better because of the way he sees the floor. ... He's really easy to play with. He can score the ball and he can be a playmaker.

"Just like a lot of guys in their first year playing for us, he's going to have to step up at the defensive end of the court. But he played for Bob Hurley Sr., so that shouldn't be that big of an adjustment once the lights come on. A guy that will make us better at the offensive end because he's a pretty complete point guard that way."

Hurley's comments plus the multiple reports this year that Cole was looking great in practice may have lead to AG's decision to transfer. It sure would be great to have AG find his footing at WSU while Cole finds his here.

Reaction Score
Our backcourt is going to be really, really good.

In his second college game, Cole chipped 27 points, eight assists and had only one turnover in a road loss at Indiana.

His reputation continued to grow. He set a freshman program record by pouring in a career-best 42 points in an 80-75 win over defending Colonial Athletic Association champion UNC-Wilmington. He also had six rebounds, four assists and four steals.

As a sophomore, Cole scored 28 points at Georgetown and fired in 21 points versus Harvard.
They lost those games by boatloads. It’s like saying the backup quarterback who throws for 200 yards and 2 tds in the 2nd half of a 63-14 blowout is the next Tom Brady. Maybe he is but possibly the fact that the opponent is laying off is a contributing factor. Maybe he will be a significant contributor but guys coming from the MEAC to high major programs rarely are more than role players. If you rely on 5-11 point guards from MEAC teams to carry you in the Big East the odds are you will be disappointed.

Reaction Score
They lost those games by boatloads. It’s like saying the backup quarterback who throws for 200 yards and 2 tds in the 2nd half of a 63-14 blowout is the next Tom Brady. Maybe he is but possibly the fact that the opponent is laying off is a contributing factor. Maybe he will be a significant contributor but guys coming from the MEAC to high major programs rarely are more than role players. If you rely on 5-11 point guards from MEAC teams to carry you in the Big East the odds are you will be disappointed.
He gave Indiana 27 in his second college game. You have to be a special kind of crazy to not be impressed by that. I guess you could argue it was because they were backing off of him (without actually watching the game), but that wouldn't explain the 8 assists. I could go on, but instead I'll just ask:

Other than the bad analogy, the fact they didn't lose all those games, the fact that he isn't 5'11", or the fact that UConn isn't relying on him to carry the team, did you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln?

In case you forgot, this guy is in the backcourt too

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom