OT: - Code of the West | The Boneyard

OT: Code of the West

Reaction Score
Last night I was awakened by an alarm that went off that my fencing was breached. I have cameras all over the property that record and let us view the scene live. What we saw was a trailer truck and 3 suv's lined up with people moving rapidly around near the cattle grazing within 50 yards of the fence. Called the Sheriff. Called my ranch manager who was already on the case. By the time we got down there the Sheriff's Department had a helicopter hovering in the air and six Sheriff's Deputies on the ground locked and loaded. A few minutes later the Sheriff showed up. Talk about being caught in the act. Modern day cattle rustling. Modern day law enforcement response. Guess they did not count on the security cameras and the fence breach alarms. Good Guys +1; Bad Guys 0. Just lucky.

Reaction Score
Last night I was awakened by an alarm that went off that my fencing was breached. I have cameras all over the property that record and let us view the scene live. What we saw was a trailer truck and 3 suv's lined up with people moving rapidly around near the cattle grazing within 50 yards of the fence. Called the Sheriff. Called my ranch manager who was already on the case. By the time we got down there the Sheriff's Department had a helicopter hovering in the air and six Sheriff's Deputies on the ground locked and loaded. A few minutes later the Sheriff showed up. Talk about being caught in the act. Modern day cattle rustling. Modern day law enforcement response. Guess they did not count on the security cameras and the fence breach alarms. Good Guys +1; Bad Guys 0. Just lucky.

I've heard there might be nationwide beef shortages but that's going way too far!!!!;)

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
It might have a modern twist to it, but it still sounds like a John Wayne movie to me. ;)

Reaction Score
VOD, the one thing I found out in my thirty five year in law enforcement was that if someone has something, no matter what it is, there is always someone who will go to any lengths to get it. And in today's atmosphere beef on the hoof is worth a small fortune. You are very fortunate that they didn't steak the place out properly.

Reaction Score
I am very glad that we were saved the effort for providing justice if the Law did not show up. But, knowing that the Sheriff is an ex-Marine, he would love to wrap his arms around this. The Ranch Manager was my old gunny and his son serves in the USMC Reserves JAG, a graduate of UNM Law School. Between myself and the Gunny, we make one very good Marine so it would have been 2 against 7. Those guys would not have had a chance. All we had to do is shoot the tires out from all of the vehicles. In the dark, we could have pretended to be the 3rd Marine Division out there. LOL.

Reaction Score
I am very glad that we were saved the effort for providing justice if the Law did not show up.
I agree with you dog, was just trying to be funny above. I am glad your security system and local law enforcement scored big. I hope you get back with what they were charged with and the outcome.
Will they get 3rd degree felony under NM law or because it was nipped in the bud only attempted larceny? That would probably spare them the jail time deserved. In some states the local PD in connection to a federal program would already own the tractor trailer rig and three suv's even without a conviction.

Reaction Score
I am very glad that we were saved the effort for providing justice if the Law did not show up. But, knowing that the Sheriff is an ex-Marine, he would love to wrap his arms around this. The Ranch Manager was my old gunny and his son serves in the USMC Reserves JAG, a graduate of UNM Law School. Between myself and the Gunny, we make one very good Marine so it would have been 2 against 7. Those guys would not have had a chance. All we had to do is shoot the tires out from all of the vehicles. In the dark, we could have pretended to be the 3rd Marine Division out there. LOL.
vod, when I retired I decided to buy myself a present so I purchased a 44 Mag. We could have done a "Do ya feel lucky punk? Well, do ya?"

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
are 'rustling' penalties as stiff as they once were? or has it devolved to more 'theft of property' thinking? we go for the tires whenever it feels like the bad guys are going to leave before 5-0 gets here. that happens rarely cuz 5-0 is awesome where I live. no cattle, just fairly regular (2-3 x a year) bad actors who can't just be satisfied passing thru, and have to mess with things.

Reaction Score
Maybe we need a BY pole concerning where a BY long summer weekend should be:

Veryolddog’s cattle ranch - think Billy Crystal in City Slickers
or
Fishy’s lake cabin - think Bill Murray in Meatballs

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe we need a BY pole concerning where a BY long summer weekend should be:

Veryolddog’s cattle ranch - think Billy Crystal in City Slickers
or
Fishy’s lake cabin - think Bill Murray in Meatballs

Well......this is not a real big cattle ranch. I had 500 head in the Spring and added about 100 new calves. Big cattle ranches pen feed cattle and they have 1000's. We will sell off 200 to 250 to restaurants for processing across the country if they go back to business or we will let the heard grow back to 1000. Our primary agricultural product is grass/hay which goes to Florida because it has the biggest market for quality horses in the Ocala area of the State. We have a 1000 acres under cultivation. Some of which is used to feed our animals, neighbors, Elk that come down from the mountains, and a wild horse population. Our big source of revenue is natural gas which supplies the USA with cooking and heating fuel. I could open this up to Elk hunting, but I would have more dead hunters than Elk and I like leaving the land as it is.

For years we just grass fed our beef and sold it to high class steak joints because their customers who are delusional preferred that product. Corn fed beef is a better choice. Now, we do both, corn and grass grazing on our range. Go figure.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Well......this is not a real big cattle ranch. I had 500 head in the Spring and added about 100 new calves. Big cattle ranches pen feed cattle and they have 1000's. We will sell off 200 to 250 to restaurants for processing across the country if they go back to business or we will let the heard grow back to 1000. Our primary agricultural product is grass/hay which goes to Florida because it has the biggest market for quality horses in the Ocala area of the State. We have a 1000 acres under cultivation. Some of which is used to feed our animals, neighbors, Elk that come down from the mountains, and a wild horse population. Our big source of revenue is natural gas which supplies the USA with cooking and heating fuel. I could open this up to Elk hunting, but I would have more dead hunters than Elk and I like leaving the land as it is.

For years we just grass fed our beef and sold it to high class steak joints because their customers who are delusional preferred that product. Corn fed beef is a better choice. Now, we do both, corn and grass grazing on our range. Go figure.
'Corn fed beef is a better choice.'
preach brother, preach! hallelujah!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Gee, Ben, couldn't Adam, Hoss and Little Joe handle the situation without having to wake you?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom