Cochran off to great start | The Boneyard

Cochran off to great start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the Nebrich experiment ends (which I wish it wouldn't...I would rather see him get the ball for a game to see what he can do), the writing may be on the wall about Casey. One of the guys who sits near me was talking about his nephew playing against both Cochrane and Boeing Brown in the same conference. His brother told him " Brown is really good...but Cochrane is the real deal". I am interested to see how Casey developes since he plans on enrolling in December.

Reaction Score
Take this for what it's worth:

Heard from a good friend that he met someone who is extremely close and a very good friend of Pasqualoni's that there is almost no doubt that Cochran will be the starter next year assuming he is as good as advertised

Reaction Score
Doesn't surprise me what so ever! He is Coach P and DeLeone's recruit and he and Nebrich will push each other. I can see McCummings being switched to rb, right now he is our best ball carrier.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If the Nebrich experiment ends (which I wish it wouldn't...I would rather see him get the ball for a game to see what he can do), the writing may be on the wall about Casey. One of the guys who sits near me was talking about his nephew playing against both Cochrane and Boeing Brown in the same conference. His brother told him " Brown is really good...but Cochrane is the real deal". I am interested to see how Casey developes since he plans on enrolling in December.
Nebrich "experiment"? Are you serious? The kid is a TRUE FRESHMAN who plays the position where experience and knowledge of the playbook matter most.

Reaction Score
Nebrich "experiment"? Are you serious? The kid is a TRUE FRESHMAN who plays the position where experience and knowledge of the playbook matter most.
That is what it seems like the staff has done to him. I agree with what you say about what matters most about the qb position. I was hoping tney would redshirt him so he had some time to slow down the game and get the playbook down cold. But instead they have given him about 5-15 snaps a game and wasted a year of his eligibility. That's why I called it an "experiment"...it seems like they keep throwing him out there to see how he does. If they decide to go with Johnny Mac as the starter then the "experiment" ends as they have come to the conclusion Nebrich isn't ready yet. Why did it take the staff 3 games and a blown redshirt year to figure this out, when from beat reporters reports from pre-season camp it seems as though Johnny Mac was the leader. If Nebrich wasn't the clear winner of the qb job why do what they have done with him?

Reaction Score
Not being at practice every day, obviously none of us know how the kids are doing day in and day out. Based on what we see during games though, i get what FDNY99 is saying in regards to how they've handled Nebrich. Other than Fordham, they haven't really given him a sustained shot to get into any sort of rhythm. He played one series last nigh, completed a nice ball for a first down, that was negated by a penalty. We hand it off on 3rd and long, then punt. I was disappointed he didn't at least get another series or two at that point. JMac hadn't dome much, and the "StupicCat" offense was losing us yards. it would have been one thing if one of the other QB's was lighting it up, but that hasn't been the case.
I am utterly confused at how this whole situation has been handled.

Reaction Score

+1

No TRUE freshman comes in to a program and becomes a star from the get go. Remember Dan O's freshman year?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Terry Caulley did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Terry Caulley did

Sorry, meant to put no true frosh QB. THere have been flashes (Robert Griffin I believe had some great moments as a true frosh), but overall it's a bumpy road.

Of course there are true frosh running backs that contribute. MArcus LAttimore and Isiah Crowell come to mind from the last couple of years.

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges. Terry Caulley wasn't a QB. It's extremely difficult for a true freshman to be successful at the QB position. Nebrich could have benefited greatly from a redshirt year instead of this.

Reaction Score
I think the Nebrich progression is well thought out. He's not ready for FBS QB coming in. What he gets week by week, I think you can see the improvement ... incrementally. His acquisition of the key concepts is growing. (btw ... Caulley is a TB; you can't contrast that to a QB. Not even close)

Cochran? Let's see. Glad he's coming.

And this Johnny McEntee situation reminds me of Rutgers with Ryan Hart ... with Mike Teel on the bench & getting fan acclaim. Sometimes a limited QB just is better at that moment. McEntee is getting better; but his upside has a ceiling.

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges. Terry Caulley wasn't a QB. It's extremely difficult for a true freshman to be successful at the QB position. Nebrich could have benefited greatly from a redshirt year instead of this.

I completely agree with this. If they planned on giving him very little playing time, why not redshirt him? If something happened to McEntee, then you could burn the redshirt. But why now?

Reaction Score
We are down 2 QBs (Endres & Box) and Nebrich time is really next year (as I see it). He is getting the best orientation possible: on field Big Guys in his face. This will be fine for him. We clearly would not be better off with MN at QB ... aske me again at game 8.

McCummings? I simply don't know.

Reaction Score
+1

No TRUE freshman comes in to a program and becomes a star from the get go. Remember Dan O's freshman year?
Exactly why I clarified my "experiment" comment..if he didn't flat out win the job in pre-season camp why burn his redshirt year and give him5-15 snaps a game to "experiment" to see if he gets better...why not just redsgirt him, let him get playbook down cold and allow the game to slow down for him. At least with Dan O they let him start and learn otj...not this bs we are seeing now.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
The TC comment was made so that he could clarify his comment. However, didn't the QB at Ohio State have a good true freshman campaign?

Reaction Score
The TC comment was made so that he could clarify his comment. However, didn't the QB at Ohio State have a good true freshman campaign?

Pryor was very inconsistent his true frosh year. I think did not start at the beginning of the year.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with the way Nebrich is being used. We have no idea if he's really going to be our QB in a few years, and we have absolutely no depth in the position. I'm happy to see him get a few snaps here and there. The QB situation is obviously pretty tough, but we can only hope that they are acting on what they see in practice and putting us in our best possible position to win. It's gonna be a long year, but the future is not without promise. We have a lot of kids on this team who have a lot of growing up to do.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Take this for what it's worth:

Heard from a good friend that he met someone who is extremely close and a very good friend of Pasqualoni's that there is almost no doubt that Cochran will be the starter next year assuming he is as good as advertised
Let's just count the number of people involved - PP > PP's close friend > your good friend > you.

Don't get me wrong, it is possible that PP and his staff's evaluation of CC is that he is projected to be a BCS caliber QB and that he may ready faster than his peers. But to say he will be starting next year without even having been in a UConn practice, based on third-hand "reports", is kind of ridiculous.

Reaction Score
personally cochran' can handle the pressure. and if he shows the coaching staff he's confident and shows that arm watch out qb's
kid is a ball player, he lacks inches not experience!!

Reaction Score
personally cochran' can handle the pressure. and if he shows the coaching staff he's confident and shows that arm watch out qb's
kid is a ball player, he lacks inches not experience!!

Sounds like he's on track for a season like this:

Pass for a state record 3,831 yards and state record 262 completions along with 38 TDs... 235 rushing carries for 1,136 yards and 21 TDs.

BTW, that was Mike Nebrich's senior season.
I'm sure Casey's a player and I can't wait to see him in a Husky uni.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Exactly why I clarified my "experiment" comment..if he didn't flat out win the job in pre-season camp why burn his redshirt year and give him5-15 snaps a game to "experiment" to see if he gets better...why not just redsgirt him, let him get playbook down cold and allow the game to slow down for him. At least with Dan O they let him start and learn otj...not this bs we are seeing now.

The only reason Orlovsky ended up starting as a freshman was the kid from California (Tracey?) left suddenly about a week before the season started, and then Keron Henry got injured early in the season. The plan was for Orlovsky to redshirt that entire season (2001). It didn't work out, and they were forced to burn his redshirt and play him.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

From the day Box left, Nebrich was never going to redshirt. That would've left PP going into the season with two QB's and McCummings as the every down back-up, one good hit away from driving the car. If that was the plan, my concern over the coaching would be much higher than it is. With Nebrich as the back-up, it makes good sense to get him as many game snaps as possible while still trying to get the offense to gel better under McEntee. Ironically, if the offense was playing better with McEntee, it would be easier to get Nebrich more than 3 or 4 snaps. For the record, I think we've seen that J-Mac is likely to take some hits when we get into conference play. When is the last time we got through a season with one QB?

Reaction Score
a year ago, we heard a lot about some HS kid in VA was going to take over and be a star. It's September, and we are already moving past that kid and now some are tying the fates of the program to some pimple faced kid playing HS ball? It never hurts to take a deep breath and realize (a) your best qb is not always the kid not playing and (b) this is a process that takes years. Nebrich and McCummings will be all the better for getting some, albeit limited, experience. And CC may be terrific, and I will be pulling for him. The staff would love for MN or SM to step up and gave them every chance to take the ball from Johnny Mac, but they did not. But they both show promise. I think it is good for them to gain experience. If something happens to JM, they both are not deer in the headlights - as we have seen with other back-ups we have thrown to the wolves in an emergency in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom