Coach's Show with Geno (Dec 6) | The Boneyard

Coach's Show with Geno (Dec 6)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Was recorded this morning and is available on the team's Facebook page. Will replay on the @979espn tonight at 6. Lou joined for the second half of the show.

Not much new. Geno and Bob talked about Sunday's game of course. Here are the main points from that part of the discussion.

Geno said the game took a turn for bizarre in the 4th qtr. Up until then the game was pretty normal intensity.

There's stuff that happens in a game, emotions get out of control. Kids/coaches say and do things they wish they hadn't.

It was unfortunate that the game went in that direction. There were a couple of things that happened in the game that were flat-out blatant. It's not part of the game and, knock on wood, none of my players has ever done that and 99% of the players we played against haven't done that. Emotion is part of the game but that stuff isn't.

We don't have the kind of team that is so emotionally charged that something like that could incite us to retaliate. That's not who we are, that's not what we do. There has been teams I've had where things would have gotten physical and out of hand maybe. But we don't have that kind of team. I like the way they responded. They responded on the scoreboard; they responded by making plays. To me that's the best way to respond.

There were some issues that happened after the game with Lou and during interviews. We haven't even talked about that. It could have been you lose your composure. We handled everything that came our way and that's a great sign for us in early Dec.

Thank u, next.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was recorded this morning and is available on the team's Facebook page. Will replay on the @979espn tonight at 6. Lou joined for the second half of the show.

Not much new. Geno and Bob talked about Sunday's game of course. Here are the main points from that part of the discussion.

Geno said the game took a turn for bizarre in the 4th qtr. Up until then the game was pretty normal intensity.

There's stuff that happens in a game, emotions get out of control. Kids/coaches say and do things they wish they hadn't.

It was unfortunate that the game went in that direction. There were a couple of things that happened in the game that were flat-out blatant. It's not part of the game and, knock on wood, none of my players has ever done that and 99% of the players we played against haven't done that. Emotion is part of the game but that stuff isn't.

We don't have the kind of team that is so emotionally charged that something like that could incite us to retaliate. That's not who we are, that's not what we do. There has been teams I've had where things would have gotten physical and out of hand maybe. But we don't have that kind of team. I like the way they responded. They responded on the scoreboard; they responded by making plays. To me that's the best way to respond.

There were some issues that happened after the game with Lou and during interviews. We haven't even talked about that. It could have been you lose your composure. We handled everything that came our way and that's a great sign for us in early Dec.

Thank u, next.
I’d say MM could take a lesson, but then she might get closer to being a great coach rather than just the good coach that she is.

Reaction Score
That 1999-2000 team could’ve taken a turn for the physical with Hansmeyer, Shea, and AJ!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think it was only Arike who went off the rails in the 4th quarter. Mabrey showed frustration with foul calls, but she didn't show any hostility towards the UConn players or Geno. Jessica Shepherd was actually trying to be conciliatory in the handshake line. And Muffitt, regardless of what has transpired since the game, did not show any particular surprise when the technical foul and then the unsportsmanlike call were made.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Thanks for the information.

Does anyone know if SNY still is broadcasting "The Geno Auriemma Show" or has that TV programming been benched?

Reaction Score
MM is a great coach. Period. True.

I do not like some of things she does or doesn't do. At all. Also true, but something I could, almost assuredly, say about everyone (including myself).

Reaction Score
MM is a great coach. Period.

I do not like some of things she does or doesn't do. At all.

It's just your success on the court, but how you get there. Whether McGraw is a great coach is a fair subject of debate, but her and her team's unsportsmanlike and, at times dangerous, conduct needs to be weighed in any discussion of her greatness as a coach.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
But for Geno and UConn, Muffet would be the best coach of generation. Has to be frustrating.

Not so sure - Jeff Walz likely would of won at least 2 championships - maybe more - that would put him ahead of Muffet.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Speaking of Jeff Walz, he has to be loving this. His esteem has only been going up in our eyes on this forum. I guarantee that during Geno's pre-Louisville game discussion, he mentions how much he likes and respects Jeff and looks forward to playing them with some kind of subtle dig at ND. You know Jeff will come back with something likewise on praising UConn and their composure.
This will all be great theatre.

MJ meme.gif

Reaction Score
Thank u, next.

Reaction Score
MM is a great coach. Period.

I do not like some of things she does or doesn't do. At all.

She may be a great coach but she lost control of her team. Why she did not call a TO and tell that girl to sit down is beyond me. How she didn’t tell the player to compose herself and shake the guys hand is beyond me.
MM had no control.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I usually avoid the facebook miasma, but logged in and clicked on the coach's radio show. It appears to be playing, but there is no audio.
Cleared cache, cookies, tried again. The rest...is silence.

UConn Women's Basketball

Suggestions?

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
She may be a great coach but she lost control of her team. Why she did not call a TO and tell that girl to sit down is beyond me. How she didn’t tell the player to compose herself and shake the guys hand is beyond me.
MM had no control.

I heard a podcast interview of Coach McGraw about five years ago that was linked to on the Boneyard. It was about 30 minutes long or so and was very informative about her view of her team. In it she said something to the effect that ND players lacked a certain toughness, that she really wanted and needed to get players who were really tough. I think she has found what she was looking for in Arike. I imagine she really respects her competitiveness and toughness and doesn't want to change anything about her. But based on AO's antics during the UConn game (and apparently against other teams such as Oregon State), and the potential she has for drawing technical fouls, MM may have to assert some control or discipline, otherwise it could cost ND dearly in big games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I usually avoid the facebook miasma, but logged in and clicked on the coach's radio show. It appears to be playing, but there is no audio.
Cleared cache, cookies, tried again. The rest...is silence.

UConn Women's Basketball

Suggestions?
You need to move about 10 minutes in before it starts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom