Coaching theory | The Boneyard

Coaching theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So since Ollie was a guard when he played do you guys think that may affect the way he coaches or conducts his practices, sets, etc? Honest question thanks

Reaction Score
Interesting question, but I don't think it matters. There's only 5 players on a basketball team, so little happens in isolation. Also, if he saw himself as a coach someday, then he probably paid attention to everything that was going on. But if he starts playing a 5 guard lineup, I may change my opinion.

Reaction Score
Guards run the show on most teams. So if KO has a guard centered approach, then I approve. I'm not really sure what is up with our bigs. I'm inclined to believe it's just the players and the quality of recruits. As others have pointed out in other posts. Not every JC big was good. In fact, I would say most of JC's bigs didn't develop much of an offensive game. Okafor and Armstrong are some of the exceptions. Those two developed offensively. Most of our other bigs (even the good ones) never did much offensively.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
John Wooden couldn't win with this depleted team.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'd like to see us bring in a real bigs coach; preferably someone that played as a forward, but that's not necessary if they know how to coach up power forwards and centers. I can't remember the last big we've had that made any sort of substantial improvement over their four years.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun was a 6-5 captain and forward at AIC in college and wasn't particularly known for developing bigs. I think we would be happy to have someone who can play defense, have some basic offensive skills, set pics and above all box out and rebound. You would think that this would be taught to all high school kids as well as "elite" AAU
teams; especially kids who are perceived to be high D1 type players.

C

Chief00

Jim Calhoun was a 6-5 captain and forward at AIC in college and wasn't particularly known for developing bigs. I think we would be happy to have someone who can play defense, have some basic offensive skills, set pics and above all box out and rebound. You would think that this would be taught to all high school kids as well as "elite" AAU
teams; especially kids who are perceived to be high D1 type players.

Jim's team were always among the leaders in rebounding margins and block shots.

C

Chief00

I'd like to see us bring in a real bigs coach; preferably someone that played as a forward, but that's not necessary if they know how to coach up power forwards and centers. I can't remember the last big we've had that made any sort of substantial improvement over their four years.
Singing to the choir - are you ready for Clyde? Rashaad Wallace is another good one.

Reaction Score
we don't need a big coach, i have no clue what we need. I do know that you can tell ollie is coaching something in practice; when you watch the early offense vs OSU in the first half, it looks like the '14 squad with its execution. but then, somehow, things went off the rails. same with ok state. KO is instinctively a defensive minded coach, he was a low turn over good decision making defensive minded pg in the nba, in college he can coach defense throughout the game no problem. he might need an x&os guys next to him, or he just need to be more liberal with his timeouts and keep talking about execution. the team shows flashes of good things on offense, then they give up at like the 15:00 minute mark.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's be sure to get better players because what fun would it be for Wallace to come in for 2 years and them get fired after he can't develop people like Brimah? Leave him with players that don't listen or have the comprehension to, he'd be outta here in no time.

Reaction Score
I've said this before and people said it was a dumb sentiment, but there are no offensive players on our coaching staff and haven't been since JC left. Miller, Hobbs, Ricky, and KO were max effort, pass-first/defensive point guards, Freeman was a garbage guy, and Killings was a UMass walk-on. Do you think that has anything to do with out mundane and painful half-court offense? I know we obviously won a title in 2014, but that team's offense relied on superior players making plays. Not pure half-court execution.

I

C

Chief00

we don't need a big coach, i have no clue what we need. I do know that you can tell ollie is coaching something in practice; when you watch the early offense vs OSU in the first half, it looks like the '14 squad with its execution. but then, somehow, things went off the rails. same with ok state. KO is instinctively a defensive minded coach, he was a low turn over good decision making defensive minded pg in the nba, in college he can coach defense throughout the game no problem. he might need an x&os guys next to him, or he just need to be more liberal with his timeouts and keep talking about execution. the team shows flashes of good things on offense, then they give up at like the 15:00 minute mark.
Chief00 approves of much of your analysis - but you start off on the wrong foot. Please rewrite your first sentence. We desperately need a real Bigs Coach.

C

Chief00

Let's be sure to get better players because what fun would it be for Wallace to come in for 2 years and them get fired after he can't develop people like Brimah? Leave him with players that don't listen or have the comprehension to, he'd be outta here in no time.
They will listen to him or else a war will take place. LOL

Reaction Score
I actually love our style of play and offense. But I recognize it's not heavy on offensive sets. I don't think that's really new to KO.

Our offense cannot be stopped by the opposing team. It can only be stopped by us :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe someone who played at school know for their physical bigs, like Pitt? Maybe someone like:

Clyde-Vaughn-33.jpg

Only half joking. I wish he hadn't had been an idiot.

Reaction Score
I've said this before and people said it was a dumb sentiment, but there are no offensive players on our coaching staff and haven't been since JC left. Miller, Hobbs, Ricky, and KO were max effort, pass-first/defensive point guards, Freeman was a garbage guy, and Killings was a UMass walk-on. Do you think that has anything to do with out mundane and painful half-court offense? I know we obviously won a title in 2014, but that team's offense relied on superior players making plays. Not pure half-court execution.

I

I am not dismissive of this idea. They were all hard working guys more known for defense and intensity. But aren't they still more accomplished players than the vast majority of coaches? KO especially. Being a point guard in the NBA for over a decade should surely make him more of an "offensive" player than some coach who was a role player at Podunk St., right? KO has played at a higher level than 99 percent of his peers.

Reactions: pj

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rashweed Wallace? A guy who didn't come to play every night to coach a team that doesn't come to play every night? Brilliant!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Jim's team were always among the leaders in rebounding margins and block shots.
That's a fact. That would be more specializing in defense though. Not saying he couldn't have; just that we always emphasized a guard running
fast break offense. Bigs job to get the rebound or block the shot. Perhaps (no doubt) that came across the minds of bigs who saw UConn as a place
that was not going to feature bigs on offense. IMO the genius of JC was to recruit the best who could (usually tough nosed) against the big name programs and get the best
out of individuals and as a team. As the NBA scout said " when players come out of UConn they are NBA ready". We have to get back to that.
Hard to argue with the phenomenal success of the UConn program; especially considering it's humble roots.

Reaction Score
Rashweed Wallace? A guy who didn't come to play every night to coach a team that doesn't come to play every night? Brilliant!
He said "Rashaad" Wallace, so he must have been talking about someone else. I mean Chief is the (self proclaimed) greatest basketball mind on this board, he would never get a well known NBA player's name wrong, or his own good friend "Bunky" until I corrected him, or Christian "Vitale" until I corrected him. Nah, that would never happen. He's not your casual basketball fan (he told us himself), so obviously he must be talking about a different guy. We're just going to have to figure out who this Rashaad Wallace is for ourselves :rolleyes:

Funny, Rasheed is the all time NBA leader (as well as single season leader) in technical fouls. I remember his tirades well, the man was seriously troubled. One season he averaged a technical foul every two games. Seems like a great choice to coach college kids :eek:

C

Chief00

He said "Rashaad" Wallace, so he must have been talking about someone else. I mean Chief is the (self proclaimed) greatest basketball mind on this board, he would never get a well known NBA player's name wrong, or his own good friend "Bunky" until I corrected him, or Christian "Vitale" until I corrected him. Nah, that would never happen. He's not your casual basketball fan (he told us himself), so obviously he must be talking about a different guy. We're just going to have to figure out who this Rashaad Wallace is for ourselves :rolleyes:

Funny, Rasheed is the all time NBA leader (as well as single season leader) in technical fouls. I remember his tirades well, the man was seriously troubled. One season he averaged a technical foul every two games. Seems like a great choice to coach college kids :eek:
Your a genius - you have found a career as a spelling teacher. I don't always type or spell well on my phone. I got big fingers. Rasheed coach Drummond up.

Reaction Score
Your a genius - you have found a career as a spelling teacher. I don't always type or spell well on my phone. I got big fingers. Rasheed coach Drummond up.
First off, It's "you're" a genius," lol.

Second, you don't spell Vital wrong the exact same way (Vitale) for months because you have big fingers, besides the the fact that the L and the E key are nowhere near each other (same goes for spelling "Bunky" wrong until I corrected you). Nice try though. It's ok, as I said, understandable from a casual fan such as yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom