Coaching Rumor Mill Churns - John Silver | The Boneyard

Coaching Rumor Mill Churns - John Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Excellent post. #1 is the most often missed/dismissed by fans across the country when trying to determine whether or not the UCONN job is attractive or not:

1. The Huskies can win the American and will have the biggest athletic budget in the American. That means something. The Huskies are a major conference program by all metrics right now except affiliation. That counts for something over the long haul.

While we might be in AAC purgatory, our President and AD have shown absolutely zero interest in scaling back our budget to the level of other AAC schools. The head coach would have a long leash and full backing of the university, as long as they are not a complete and total d0uche.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Excellent post. #1 is the most often missed/dismissed by fans across the country when trying to determine whether or not the UCONN job is attractive or not:

1. The Huskies can win the American and will have the biggest athletic budget in the American. That means something. The Huskies are a major conference program by all metrics right now except affiliation. That counts for something over the long haul.

While we might be in AAC purgatory, our President and AD have shown absolutely zero interest in scaling back our budget to the level of other AAC schools. The head coach would have a long leash and full backing of the university, as long as they are not a complete and total d0uche.

Until the money runs out. Make no mistake, the current funding levels can not be maintained in the AAC long term. The settlement $ will last 3-5 years. Then its pay as you go.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Until the money runs out. Make no mistake, the current funding levels can not be maintained in the AAC long term. The settlement $ will last 3-5 years. Then its pay as you go.

Of course. But we're talking about the current head coach search and why it is attractive. The hope (keeping fingers crossed!) is that we are on a 3-5 year path to get into the B1G so, by then, we'll have an influx of steadier cash.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The head coach would have a long leash and full backing of the university, as long as they are not a complete and total d0uche.

I saw that clause in the vacancy announcement.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The head coach would have a long leash and full backing of the university, as long as they are not a complete and total d0uche.

Doee this mean that the next head coach can be a partial and still keep his job?

Reaction Score
John spends a lot of time on this board, most of what was in that article has been discussed by boneyarders, although I do give him some credit, we do have a lot of knowledgeable posters on this board.

I don't know where the influx of tv money is coming from given our crappy revenue sharing numbers

Reaction Score
Decent stuff by Silver, but never forget he he was a Pasqualista / DeLeoneaista. Love this quote about GDL from the Sept. 9 chat. Gonna bet the streak he talks about has ended, unless GDL is going back to Southern next year

John Silver:
I don't think the game passed him (PP) by. He's been in the NFL, not on some beach in the Carribbean. As far as DeLeone, he's never been out of work in 40 years. Why is that?

These guys can coach, they are proven coaches. That I know. But, it's not working. That is also I know. EIther it turns around, or a change will be made. It's that simple.

Very spirited P/GDL defense in that chat. Here's a crude RSS link. Some real beauties in there.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

This is what SH & WM have been working very diligently at over the past month. My guess is that the next HC would want and receive a six year guarantee (as it would take a bit of time to get the ball rolling and then a couple of recruiting classes beyond that before true results are in). The warchest that our president and athletic director are attempting to build is to bridge the gap between what the operations of being an AAC member will allow for a head coach, his assitants, travel and recruiting and what our leadership feels will be necessary to accomplish what we want and land who we want. I doubt that they are saying to any of our major donors "you give us an extra $2.2 million for next year and then we'll be good". They are a bit sharper than that (although their predecessors may not have been).

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
So Silver's story begs the question... Could UConn really land a guy like Mullen? We pay him $2 M or up with at least a 5 year committment- provided he finishes his season at Miss State below .500 and maybe?

Reaction Score
$2.0 million puts you in the game. You could structure it with incentives as well. Bowl game, record etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Doee this mean that the next head coach can be a partial and still keep his job?
Depends on the team record.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Of course. But we're talking about the current head coach search and why it is attractive. The hope (keeping fingers crossed!) is that we are on a 3-5 year path to get into the B1G so, by then, we'll have an influx of steadier cash.

It is impossible to overstate my concern for next years ticket sales. The OOC schedule and new coach may buy us one more year to turn around both CR and the record, but after that I shudder.

Reaction Score
Decent stuff by Silver, but never forget he he was a Pasqualista / DeLeoneaista. Love this quote about GDL from the Sept. 9 chat. Gonna bet the streak he talks about has ended, unless GDL is going back to Southern next year

John Silver:

I don't think the game passed him (PP) by. He's been in the NFL, not on some beach in the Carribbean. As far as DeLeone, he's never been out of work in 40 years. Why is that?

These guys can coach, they are proven coaches. That I know. But, it's not working. That is also I know. EIther it turns around, or a change will be made. It's that simple.

Very spirited P/GDL defense in that chat. Here's a crude RSS link. Some real beauties in there.

Really? The part where he said "it's not working, if it doesn't change, they're gone" sounds like a spirited defense to you?

They said they were working coaches who had experience, but that it wasn't working. That sounds like, if nothing else, a conflicted statement. Spirited defense? Come on.

Reaction Score
Really? The part where he said "it's not working, if it doesn't change, they're gone" sounds like a spirited defense to you?

They said they were working coaches who had experience, but that it wasn't working. That sounds like, if nothing else, a conflicted statement. Spirited defense? Come on.

Important thing I drew from Silver's article in SNY was that there is indeed much interest in the position from some very "big names" and the enumeration as to the reasons the position as UCONN HC are attractive.
It makes a long time fan and follower like myself encouraged that the ESPN garbage, the ensuing bad season with HCPP, CR et al in the long run, will bear out and gives most of us encouragement rather than waiting for the season to end....basketball to start and all the doomsday posting most of us had to endure on this board and from ESPN. ...and I will be there Friday against Louisville right thru to Memphis in December.....no matter what... GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I think Silver actually hits it exactly right. In some ways UConn is the big fish in the Small pond in the AAC and if a coach could turn things in the right direction, I think it could be a major positive. The situation I liken it to is BC before and after Doug Flutie. The pre-Flutie Eagles were a borderline 1A program, I would liken them to a MAC team. By the mid-80s the whole perspective changed because instead of merely playing national teams, they actually beat them. Over that period suddenly they were beating Alabama, Penn State, Pitt, who was considered a national program in the Dorsett and Marino eras, Texas A&M, Syracuse (a team that at the time was considered higher on the pecking order).

Dooley

Reaction Score
It is impossible to overstate my concern for next years ticket sales. The OOC schedule and new coach may buy us one more year to turn around both CR and the record, but after that I shudder.

Agreed. Boise, BYU, Cincinnati (?), UCF(?), and Army at Yankee Stadium are all pretty good games. It would be enough to sell tickets to the casual fan I think. With a good coaching hire that excites the fanbase (I think Mullen would do that), we *could* break the 25K mark.

Reaction Score

As I said, that pullout quote about GDL was part of a chat-long spirited defense. I'm not going to post the whole freaking thing, hence the link. Read it and then get back to me.

These guys are reveling in TJ's failure to win because they somehow think that takes P off the hook because -- wait for it -- the cupboard was bare. They will never, ever, ever, ever concede that P is responsible for the shape this program is in today.

Reaction Score
These guys are reveling in TJ's failure to win because they somehow think that takes P off the hook because -- wait for it -- the cupboard was bare. They will never, ever, ever, ever concede that P is responsible for the shape this program is in today.

You got that out of the Silver article on the Coaching Search???:confused:

Reaction Score
You got that out of the Silver article on the Coaching Search???:confused:

I got that out of the chat transcript and pretty much everything that was written about P by the two individuals in question pre- and post-Sept. 30.

Reaction Score
I got that out of the chat transcript and pretty much everything that was written about P by the two individuals in question pre- and post-Sept. 30.

I don't get the tie-in between the chat and the article - are you saying that everything Silver writes now needs to be viewed w/ skepticism?

Reaction Score
I'm saying I have a jaundiced view of Silver from his whole body of work on P/GDL, from this chat -- the snide comment about GDL's longevity is telling -- to his stories/blogs which took a similar tone that they were good coaches but Edsall didn't leave any talent for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom