Coaching comparison on display in Louisville | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaching comparison on display in Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Like many of you, I didn't care for Simmons game, and I'll even accept that her departure might be good for the Tennessee program in the long term. However, I will wager that Tennessee would have had a much worse record and much worse NCAA results if they didn't have Simmons the last 4 years. She was a "scorer" / "shooter" and that is what I suspect she was supposed to be in the Tennessee scheme of things.
This is a good point and I would not disagree with anything here GIVEN the state of coaching and the offense being run at TN during her 4 years. She scored when no one else was willing or able to. But ... in some ways it was like giving the keys to a Ferrari to a teenager who just passed their driving test and saying - have fun! And the cost in not 'coaching her up' was that you probably stunted the development of the other players on the team and the team as a whole. She has good basketball skills, but no discipline (See Michele's column) and in that regard reminds me of another 'star' who played point for OSU with similar post season success.

Reaction Score
In tonight's MD vs L'ville Regional final you have Brenda Frese and Jeff Walz who couldn't be more different! Walz was on Frese's MD staff when they won the NC in 2006 in Boston! If it wasn't for Walz MD wouldn't have won! Frese is a great recruiter that is not a great game coach, while Walz is one of the best BB minds in WBB today! I love MD's players but can't stand Frese! Everytime she's on the screen I hold onto my wallet for fear she'll pick my pocket, a real slippery character!
When she got the MN job she said at her press conference, "this is my dream job, I couldn't ask for more!" after 1 year she took the MD job and said at her MD press conference, " this is the dream job I've always wanted!"
She called several players that both she and Geno were recruiting and bad mouthed UCONN's program and got Laura Harper & Chrystal Langhorne to go to MD! Geno can't stand her, especially after her post game comments early this season about if another UCONN girl gets hurt Geno will have to coach like everyone else in the country!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
In tonight's MD vs L'ville Regional final you have Brenda Frese and Jeff Walz who couldn't be more different! Walz was on Frese's MD staff when they won the NC in 2006 in Boston! If it wasn't for Walz MD wouldn't have won! Frese is a great recruiter that is not a great game coach, while Walz is one of the best BB minds in WBB today! I love MD's players but can't stand Frese! Everytime she's on the screen I hold onto my wallet for fear she'll pick my pocket, a real slippery character!
When she got the MN job she said at her press conference, "this is my dream job, I couldn't ask for more!" after 1 year she took the MD job and said at her MD press conference, " this is the dream job I've always wanted!"
She called several players that both she and Geno were recruiting and bad mouthed UCONN's program and got Laura Harper & Chrystal Langhorne to go to MD! Geno can't stand her, especially after her post game comments early this season about if another UCONN girl gets hurt Geno will have to coach like everyone else in the country!

Most of the time one has to let others opinions just roll down the back, but this one rankles (me personally). It speaks of someone who has little regard for the work that Geno does, and is totally, and completely disrespectful. It may have been said in jest, but seriously it is not that funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom