Coaching change coming @ UMass | The Boneyard

Coaching change coming @ UMass

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UMass is where coaching careers go to die. I think you can find a better landing spot, but if he did end up there, I’d be all in on setting up an annual game.

Reaction Score
There are coaches who have won at UMass. But I think they have only made the NCAA once this century. As I posted, I think Kimani can do better.

Reaction Score

-> Potential names expected to be involved in UMass' coaching search include Vermont's John Becker, Missouri State's Dana Ford, Wagner's Bashir Mason, Yale's James Jones, Bryant's Jared Grasso and former Indiana coach Archie Miller. <-

Reaction Score
There are coaches who have won at UMass. But I think they have only made the NCAA once this century. As I posted, I think Kimani can do better.
But have any of them won honestly? Ok, maybe Jack Leamon

Reaction Score

-> Potential names expected to be involved in UMass' coaching search include Vermont's John Becker, Missouri State's Dana Ford, Wagner's Bashir Mason, Yale's James Jones, Bryant's Jared Grasso and former Indiana coach Archie Miller. <-

Grasso would be an interesting hire, go from a coach who offered only kids at Woodstock to a coach who offered every kid in the country

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Becker is in some hot water at Vermont involving MBB players accused of sexual assault. Don't think UMass touches him.

Reaction Score
My guess it’ll be an NEC guy: Grasso or Mason.

Grasso has coached in the A-10 once before: a 1-22 season at Fordham back in 09-10. He was only 29 when he had that job.

Mason has been Wagner’s only coach since Hurley left.

Reaction Score
I’m sure there have been exceptions, but most first-time head coaching positions aren’t P5.
Tony Stubblefield. like

in general, that's a correct statement

Reaction Score
My list of candidates for UMass (in no particular order). I think the A-10 is an attractive conference for any current one-bid league coach and there is no reason UMass can't be a contender in it.
  • John Becker, Vermont. Needs no introduction for the program he's been running; geographically makes a lot of sense if he wants a bigger challenge.
  • Martin Inglesby, Delaware. Has built the program up nicely, going from 13-20 in 2017 (inherited a 7-win team) to 22-11 in 2020 and is poised for another 20 win season. PA roots, Notre Dame player (and former assistant).
  • James Jone, Yale. He could easily make the drive up I-91, A-10 would be a good jump for him. I still think Georgetown will come calling though, so he might think he can do better than UMass. Although considering he's been at Yale since 1999, is this the gig he finally leaves for?
  • Jared Grasso, Bryant. I look for them to win their conference tournament and cement himself as a contender for a multi-bid league job. He's been a northeast guy through and through, and spent a number of seasons in the A-10 as a Fordham assistant (where he was interim HC for a bit). Although Providence might come calling when Cooley leaves this offseason (that is mostly a joke).
  • Bashir Mason, Wagner. Took over since Hurley left and has kept the momentum going, although no NCAA's. Also a northeast guy via Drexel (player)-Marist-Wagner.
  • Pat Skerry, Towson. Born in Mass and went to Tufts; assistant gigs at URI, Providence and Pitt. Has the had 18+ wins in 7 out of 11 seasons, including this year. Went from 1 win his first year to 18 to 25 by year 3. Low key shocked he didn't get a gig a few years ago to be honest. Currently having his best season there though (KenPom #62, CAA regular season champs).
  • Bobby Hurley, ASU. His name has to be thrown around. We very well could see a Shaka situation play out there -- he wouldn't be in the same conference as his brother and lets face it wouldn't really be recruiting head-to-head with him often (how many kids are gonna chose A-10 over BE UConn, and yes I know who Tre Mitchell is). Don't forget Hurley's BFF Coach Kellogg used to be at UMass, so brother Hurley probably has some inside info (what that would entail I have no clue).
  • Rick Pitino, Iona. UMass actually might take the risk -- honestly don't hate it for them. But ultimately can't really see Rick leaving the NYC burbs for the middle of Western Mass.
  • Carm Maciariello, Siena. Played at UNH before transferring to Siena. Assistant at Fairfield, PC, BU, GW before coming home to Siena. Winning at a 64% clip in 3 seasons so far -- guess it depends how ambitious he is to leave his alma mater. Dark horse candidate for me.
The ESPN article lists Dana Ford and Archie Miller -- Miller would be a slam dunk hire but I honestly think he could do slightly better than UMass. Ford is a midwest guy so I don't like that move to the northeast at all (although I think he is a rising star and will have a new job come this fall or next, maybe if something Big 10 opens up).

Gun to my head, I'd go Skerry-Grasso as my top two. Fine with either. I don't think Becker/Jones/Hurley/Pitino leave for UMass.

Reaction Score
Marcus Camby

UMass is an awesome coaching job with a ton of upside. The A-10 is a fun regional basketball conference, great rivalries, and a chance for a quality guy to make UMass overshadow the clowns in chestnut hill. Also a good stepping stone for someone with higher aspirations. UMass should rise to dominate the A-10.

Reaction Score
Marcus Camby

UMass is an awesome coaching job with a ton of upside. The A-10 is a fun regional basketball conference, great rivalries, and a chance for a quality guy to make UMass overshadow the clowns in chestnut hill. Also a good stepping stone for someone with higher aspirations. UMass should rise to dominate the A-10.
Haven't UMass fans been saying that for the last quarter century? :)

Reaction Score
Selfishly and with proximity and history in mind, I do not want this to be a potential Kimani landing spot.
Not that likely. Kimani will have much better options especially if we can make noise in the Tournament.

Reaction Score
Better job, UMass or URi? I think URI based on more recent success, fanbase with a pulse, and location.
Man, that is a tough call. If he went to UMass, he’d have the brand spanking new Treehouse South Deerfield location just 10 minutes away (plus, Nate has added his version of apizza at that location). URI has the beautiful and bucolic Tilted Barn Brewery 10 minutes away. Toss up for me. The fact that TH has upped their lager game lately might tip the scales in UMass’s favor.

Reaction Score
Honestly, this strikes me as more of a step-down job than a step-up job.

Someone who just got fired from a P5 spot, UMass looking to make a splashy "name" hire.

This would be an awful spot for Kimani Young. He's not ready for a power conference, but there's gotta be a sexier mid-major job out there.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Honestly, this strikes me as more of a step-down job than a step-up job.

Someone who just got fired from a P5 spot, UMass looking to make a splashy "name" hire.

This would be an awful spot for Kimani Young. He's not ready for a power conference, but there's gotta be a sexier mid-major job out there.
I agree. I could see Bobby Hurley or Archie Miller.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom