Coaching Carousel begins... Rutgers fires Chris Ash | The Boneyard

Coaching Carousel begins... Rutgers fires Chris Ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

>> Rutgers tight ends coach Nunzio Campanile, who turned Bergen Catholic into a national high school power as head coach of the North Jersey program, will become acting head coach for the remainder of the season.<<

>> As part of his buyout, Rutgers will owe Ash approximately $8.47 million. That total includes the remainder of his $2.3 million salary this year and the $7.5 million he’s owed through the 2022 season.

McNulty had another year left on his three-year deal that pays him $625,000 this season. McNulty, who was in his second year as Rutgers’ offensive coordinator, is owed approximately $900,00 as part of his buyout.<<

Reaction Score
I pray they bring back Schiano. They'll finish at the bottom of the B1G for the next 10 years. The last time Schiano was at the Rent he lost to Johnny McEntee, Scott McCummings and some guy named PP.

If they were smart they would try the Guapo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rutgers is going to make the same mistake that UCONN made. Only Greg will be able to fix this mess. Just because Ash was the dumbest hire ever, doesn't mean that there is only one option. Greg is a solid recruiter, and I'm sure that some of their fans will cream themselves at the thought of the chop coming back to NJ, but the reality is that he is a mediocre coach with no clue how to run an offense. That hasn't changed. What has is that he ain't in The Big East anymore. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State on the schedule every season. Good luck chopping that.

Reaction Score
Ash is Durkin is Diaco. Maybe Narduzzi

You weren’t gonna know what you got until they settled in to a totally new expansive role. CEO. Visionary. Etc.

I’m convinced that the successful Drake HC or Wisconsin Whitewater to the next level is a more successful and less risky game. But ... people become ensnared in the youth hype - and Lincoln at OU & Ryan Day at OSU.

Reaction Score
Durkin had MD trending up. But he flubbed up in the game of life. Ash was simply in over his head. Similar to Diaco i guess. They will be able to afford those buyouts with that Big Ten money.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I pray they bring back Schiano. They'll finish at the bottom of the B1G for the next 10 years. If they were smart they would try the Guapo.
Yeah, but then they’d be stuck watching the triple option.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but then they’d be stuck watching the triple option.

Speak for yourself, I personally love watching it. GA Tech was always on my DVR. Paul Johnson was in a bowl game 9 out of 11 years at Gtech and made the Orange bowl twice. Boring, not so boring.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Speak for yourself, I personally love watching it. GA Tech was always on my DVR. Paul Johnson was in a bowl game 9 out of 11 years at Gtech and made the Orange bowl twice. Boring, not so boring.
I agree. When it’s done well it is fun football to watch. It was pretty much just a shot at Guapos fixation with the triple option

Reaction Score
The Rutgers football coaching job is one of the most difficult in college football. They are in the Big 10 East and play Ohio St., Penn St., Michigan, and Michigan St. every year and also play Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska on occasion. Throw in the school is not really investing in football and getting to 6 wins in a year is a tough task.

Greg Schiano is not the answer as he struggled in a mediocre Big East and he is a defensive coach. They need an offensive minded coach that through innovation can compete in the B10 East.

Reaction Score
A simple first step is to give the guy an honorary degree. All he would have to do is show up in Storrs and get applause.
The Rutgers football coaching job is one of the most difficult in college football. They are in the Big 10 East and play Ohio St., Penn St., Michigan, and Michigan St. every year and also play Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska on occasion. Throw in the school is not really investing in football and getting to 6 wins in a year is a tough task.

Greg Schiano is not the answer as he struggled in a mediocre Big East and he is a defensive coach. They need an offensive minded coach that through innovation can compete in the B10 East.

Hard to argue with this. I commend the effort fellas.

Reaction Score
hopefully Uconn can get Rossomando on staff at the end of the yr.
He'd be a valuable piece to have on our coaching staff.
Kinda off topic but one guy I definitely wouldn't want to see again coaching at UConn is Dunn. The Jets stink and at that level there are no guarantees of keeping an assistant job

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Ash was toast and not sure why it took this long to fire him

I think Schiano takes the job

Reaction Score
The press has been after Ash's head since the middle of last season. The delay is believe to be related to the cost of buying-out the rest of his contract as Rugters does not have the cash that it's B10 mates have. Plus, the optics are challenging with the Professor's Union perpetually up-in-arms against the school's athletic spending (I think most are still upset that the teach at Rutgers and not Princeton).

Campanile only has 2 year's college experience since he joined Ash's staff after bolting Bergen Catholic, one of the big North Jersey Catholic High School football programs - Bergen Catholic (the others are Don Bosco, St. Joe's [Montvale], Paramus Catholic, and St. Peter's). He's known to be a very good recruiter (where he got that experience as Catholic High Schools are not supposed to recruit, I have no idea, LOL). He's a football guy; but, jumping from a HS coach to a B1G coach in less than 3 years can't be easy. I wonder if he'll be sacrificed if they can bring Schiano back (the local press is screaming for him)? I'm sure the local gossip mill will create some really interesting narratives over the next few weeks.

Reaction Score
Campanile only has 2 year's college experience since he joined Ash's staff after bolting Bergen Catholic, one of the big North Jersey Catholic High School football programs - Bergen Catholic (the others are Don Bosco, St. Joe's [Montvale], Paramus Catholic, and St. Peter's). He's known to be a very good recruiter (where he got that experience as Catholic High Schools are not supposed to recruit, I have no idea, LOL). He's a football guy; but, jumping from a HS coach to a B1G coach in less than 3 years can't be easy. I wonder if he'll be sacrificed if they can bring Schiano back (the local press is screaming for him)? I'm sure the local gossip mill will create some really interesting narratives over the next few weeks.

The AD will make a strong push (read condition) to whoever the new Head Coach will end up being to retain Campanile on staff in some capacity. They do not want to alienate the NJ high school coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom