Coaches Poll So Carolina 6th Lady Vols 25th | The Boneyard

Coaches Poll So Carolina 6th Lady Vols 25th

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
2017 Women's College Basketball Rankings and Polls for Week 13 - ESPN

So Carolina was 4th in last weeks coaches poll. Only drop two spaces is reasonable with the Lady Vols beating both Notre Dame and Stanford in earlier games.

Lady Vols probably should have been ranked after beating Notre Dame. They are one of the Top 25 teams even with their inconsistent play.

Reaction Score
Looks like MD does not go to Bridgeport. Can't keep em off the 1 line just to keep them close to home.

Reaction Score
How do you rank a team that beats teams in the top ten, but loses to teams that aren't in the top thirty? Wait 'til after the dance and see where they finish? Most confusing.

Reaction Score
Looks like MD does not go to Bridgeport. Can't keep em off the 1 line just to keep them close to home.

The committee ranked them 9th eight days ago. I doubt they've moved up to the top 4 since then.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So 4 of the coaches do not think Baylor is the second best team and at least 3 coaches think Maryland is. Very curious. This is why I discount the coaches polling as I just don't think they have time to see all the teams. This of course implies a false premise that the writers spend time watching all the teams, which in theory, they should be doing. I wonder what the full Massey ratings would look like.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IF So Carolina loses to UConn, I don't think So Carolina gets a #1 Seed. IF Miss St loses to the Lady Vols in the last game of Conference play and doesn't win the SEC Conference Tournament then they won't be a #1 seed. Can't see how two SEC teams get #1 seeds as they are projected today. I do think they get one. That leaves a spot open for Maryland even with their Weak OOC Schedule and the relative weakness of the B10. Of course if FSU goes undefeated they would get the #1 seed over Maryland.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
IF So Carolina loses to UConn, I don't think So Carolina gets a #1 Seed. IF Miss St loses to the Lady Vols in the last game of Conference play and doesn't win the SEC Conference Tournament then they won't be a #1 seed. Can't see how two SEC teams get #1 seeds as they are projected today. I do think they get one. That leaves a spot open for Maryland even with their Weak OOC Schedule and the relative weakness of the B10. Of course if FSU goes undefeated they would get the #1 seed over Maryland.

I don't think it's possible to make statements like "if Team X loses such-and-such game, then Team X doesn't get a #1 seed," because so much will also depend on what other teams do who are also in contention for a #1 seed. And I seriously doubt that a loss to UConn will the factor that disqualifies any team from the #1 seed line. I happen to think that teams like SC, MSU, and FSU can still lose another game (to a team other than UConn) and still finish ahead of Maryland.

As Creme has pointed out, even if Maryland wins out they will end up with a tiny amount of quality wins, far fewer than the other top teams. It's possible that their win over Louisville could end up being their only RPI top-25 win. Arizona State and Ohio State (assuming they beat OSU) would be their next-best wins. It's just such a thin resume for a team aspiring to a #1 seed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Florida St has the inside track on a #1 IMO.
And don't count out either ND or Stanford. They are in the 2 toughest conferences, and if either runs the table, they will be contenders.

MD doesn't move up automatically if other teams lose. Think of it as a point system. The higher teams will lose some points for losses, but the Terps have limited ability to gain points with their remaining schedule. Of the 5 B10 teams that Creme has in his bracket, MD has just one left -- @ Ohio St in 3 weeks. MD will need to earn major style points there.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Florida St has the inside track on a #1 IMO.
And don't count out either ND or Stanford. They are in the 2 toughest conferences, and if either runs the table, they will be contenders.

MD doesn't move up automatically if other teams lose. Think of it as a point system. The higher teams will lose some points for losses, but the Terps have limited ability to gain points with their remaining schedule. Of the 5 B10 teams that Creme has in his bracket, MD has just one left -- @ Ohio St in 3 weeks. MD will need to earn major style points there.

Like you said...its way too early to count out ND. They are #2 in the RPI.... Maryland is #19. ND has regular season games remaining vs Syracuse, Louisville, and Florida State. In the ACC tourney..... they could have to face a Miami or Syracuse, then Duke or Louisville, and finally FSU to win the title. If they run the table.... they would be the #3 overall seed in the NCAAs

Reaction Score
How do you rank a team that beats teams in the top ten, but loses to teams that aren't in the top thirty? Wait 'til after the dance and see where they finish? Most confusing.
Exactly. Polls are a waste of time to me.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
OK...still I wonder how the competitive showing vs. UConn counts for anything.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State and South Carolina seem very equally matched, a virtual pick 'em between the two. Neither team passes the eye test for a #1 seed, in my opinion, and I think FSU is better than both of them. Too bad FSU doesn't get to play either of them this season (at least before the tournament).

My prediction: Marlyand keeps the third number one seed simply because they're not going to lose again before March. After last night, South Carolina's fate is already sealed, and if Mississippi State loses another game (say to Tennessee) then FSU slides right past both of them for the forth number one seed. If FSU beats Notre Dame in their season finale, they're a lock.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I was looking at the conference RPI standings... and the SEC is #2. The Pac 12 is #1 of course.

Reaction Score
OK...still I wonder how the competitive showing vs. UConn counts for anything.

I think it does, which is why I predict Maryland will remain a number one seed, despite the all the rumblings from Creme and the committee that strength of schedule matters. Yes, they had a cream puff schedule out of conference, and their in conference competition sucks. But come March, their only loss will be a very good showing against UConn, which is like saying they are effectively undefeated. And you can't give an undefeated team anything other than a number one seed.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think it does, which is why I predict Maryland will remain a number one seed, despite the all the rumblings from Creme and the committee that strength of schedule matters. Yes, they had a cream puff schedule out of conference, and their in conference competition sucks. But come March, their only loss will be to UConn, which is to say that they are effectively undefeated. And you can't give an undefeated team anything other than a number one seed.

I don't think they can "remain" a 1-seed if they aren't one already.

The committee already had their chance to say whether the competitive loss to UConn would compensate for a crummy SOS, and the answer was a loud and emphatic NO.

Reaction Score
I don't think they can "remain" a 1-seed if they aren't one already.

The committee already had their chance to say whether the competitive loss to UConn would compensate for a crummy SOS, and the answer was a loud and emphatic NO.

Thanks, I should have said "will be" instead of "will remain".

At this point, I fully expect Maryland will be a number one seed. That's mostly because I no longer think South Carolina makes it in there.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thanks, I should have said "will be" instead of "will remain".

At this point, I fully expect Maryland will be a number one seed. That's mostly because I no longer think South Carolina makes it in there.

It's possible, but not without lots of help from other teams in the top 10. Since the committee's reveal, #10 Stanford has picked up a high-quality road win over #6 Washington, and that win may well have pushed Stanford momentarily ahead of #9 Maryland, especially when you consider that the committee had #8 Notre Dame, even with its 3 losses, ahead of Maryland.

Reaction Score
It's possible, but not without lots of help from other teams in the top 10. Since the committee's reveal, #10 Stanford has picked up a high-quality road win over #6 Washington, and that win may well have pushed Stanford momentarily ahead of #9 Maryland, especially when you consider that the committee had #8 Notre Dame, even with its 3 losses, ahead of Maryland.

Amazing how much the AP and the coaches polls differ from the committee with respect to Maryland. Maybe Brenda's team freezes a little earlier than usual, and they end up losing another one during the regular season.
:D

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I was looking at the conference RPI standings... and the SEC is #2. The Pac 12 is #1 of course.
Triad you have to help me on this logic of RPI conference as PAC12 has not beaten anyone other than themselves. The top conference is the ACC. The SEC as #2 is also misleading as they have no one other than MSU and SC. For all of Tenn top 10 wins they also stink it up at times. So even if you want to include them as a 3rd team, so what. I would say ACC, PAC12 (no team worthy of top 8 seed), Big12, SEC

Plebe

Reaction Score
Triad you have to help me on this logic of RPI conference as PAC12 has not beaten anyone other than themselves. The top conference is the ACC. The SEC as #2 is also misleading as they have no one other than MSU and SC. For all of Tenn top 10 wins they also stink it up at times. So even if you want to include them as a 3rd team, so what. I would say ACC, PAC12 (no team worthy of top 8 seed), Big12, SEC

The conference RPI agglomerates results for all teams top to bottom. You're trying to focus solely on the top teams in each conference. The ACC is strong at the top but very weak at the bottom. The Pac-12, even with 3 fewer teams than the ACC, has just as many top-16 teams and only one team (Arizona) that is anywhere near as bad as Boston College, Clemson, and Pitt.

Reaction Score
A bit of trivia: Prior to this week's South Carolina game the last time Tennessee beat a Top 5 team during regular season was on January 8, 2007 in Storrs.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In my mind FSU is already ahead of Maryland.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Mississippi State and South Carolina seem very equally matched, a virtual pick 'em between the two. Neither team passes the eye test for a #1 seed, in my opinion, and I think FSU is better than both of them. Too bad FSU doesn't get to play either of them this season (at least before the tournament).

My prediction: Marlyand keeps the third number one seed simply because they're not going to lose again before March. After last night, South Carolina's fate is already sealed, and if Mississippi State loses another game (say to Tennessee) then FSU slides right past both of them for the forth number one seed. If FSU beats Notre Dame in their season finale, they're a lock.

FSU is very helter-skelter as well... one night they look dominant and the next just average. They are not leaps and bounds better than SC.

I think the 1-seeds will be UCONN, Baylor, Maryland and either Miss State or SC.. whichever one comes out of the SEC with the best record.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Amazing how much the AP and the coaches polls differ from the committee with respect to Maryland. Maybe Brenda's team freezes a little earlier than usual, and they end up losing another one during the regular season.
:D
They lost twice to Ohio State last season and may lose to them this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom